[misc.handicap] Questions on technology

laurae@ATTUNIX.ATT.COM (Laura Eaves) (09/03/90)

Index Number: 10021

[This is from the BLIND-L mailing list]

> - A low-vision person has to work with a UNIX machine (Siemens version
>    Sinix). Is there any character enlarging software available that works
>    with the standard terminal (not a PC as terminal)?

I am legally blind and have been working on UNIX since '82.
I use either of two systems:

1) Since grad school, I've been using a closed circuit video system
   designed for enlarging terminals.  My system consists of a Vtek
   Voyager II with external camera that sits on a stand with mirrors
   over the terminal.  (This configuration has since been discontinued.
   However, TSI does have a similar product called a "CRT Readout System"
   in which the camera sits on a stand in front of the terminal.)

   The nice thing about this type of setup is that it can be used on ANY
   type of terminal (graphics terminals, workstations, etc), and even on
   other large objects.

   The camera is maneuvered and focused manually.

2) A couple of months ago, I also purchased TSI Vista.  This is the
   enhanced graphics card for DOS machines that enlarges both print
   and graphics.
   The main advantages to using Vista are
	1) cursor tracking (you don't have to hunt for the cursor),
	2) color (TSI now has a closed-circuit color video system,
	   but as yet, it can't be used with an external camera.
	   However, I understand this will change soon.)
	3) no need to focus.
   Although Vista doesn't run on a UNIX machine, it is quite simple
   to use a PC as a terminal.  All you need is terminal emulator software.

There are other character enlargers on the market, but I don't have the
information handy.  You may be interested to know that MacIntosh computers
come with a utility called "Close View" for low-vision users that lets you
zoom in on any part of the screen, track the mouse icon, view in reverse
video, etc.  I used it once briefly, but since mouse-driven interfaces are
quite awkward to use when enlarged, I tend to shy away from them as much
as possible.

Sorry -- I have no info on music systems for low vision, but my guess is
that general enlarging systems (such as Vista) could be used effectively
with standard software/hardware packages, and there would be no need to
adapt them specifically for low vision users.  At least that SHOULD be the
case.

Hope this helps...

-- Laura Eaves, AT&T Bell Labs, Warren, NJ

MAINT@UQAM.BITNET>Peter Jones) (09/03/90)

Index Number: 10022

On Fri, 17 Aug 90 17:08:04 +0200 Jan Engelen said:

>- A low-vision person has to work with a UNIX machine (Siemens version
>   Sinix). Is there any character enlarging software available that works
>   with the standard terminal (not a PC as terminal)?

I don't see how that can be done, unless you use a driver that changes
a string like "TEXT" to:

TTTTT     EEEEE     X   X     TTTTT
  T       E          X X        T
  T       EEE         X         T
  T       E          X X        T
  T       EEEEE     X   X       T

(Maybe the person could see the text better if one used a solid square
to draw the characters, instead of repetitions of the character as
above).

Note that I have spaced the characters wide apart. That's because I
know of a person who could read text 21 characters wide, but not 40
characters wide, produced on an NTSC TV screen by a Commodore micro
which is no longer manufactured. I've forgotten the model number, but it
seemed to be the one below the Commodore 64. Maybe it was called a C20
or a C40. I've never seen any other terminal device that would produce 21
characters; most start at 40. This Commodore had an RS232 interface in a
5-pin DIN plug, so it would require an external modem.

In enlarging text, it would also be necessary to have software capable
of going back over the virtual screen, enlarging the part the user wants
to see. That's a lot of overhead to inflict on a mainframe.

It may be possible to use the video output of a terminal and use a large
TV screen with video input. Some people hook Macintoshes with 27-inch
TV's for example.

>- Does anyone know what type of hardware is used by Stevie Wonder for writing
>   his music?

I'd love to know too. I seem to remember seeing a photo of him with a
Versabraille from TSI in California, some years ago. I wonder if he
uses a micro that sends/receives MIDI code to the keyboard/synthesizer.

I hope this info is helpful.

"A Kleenex in the the hand is worth two in the box"
Peter Jones                    (514)-987-3542
Internet:Peter Jones <MAINT%UQAM.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
UUCP: ...psuvax1!uqam.bitnet!maint

Tom.Gerhart@f210.n273.z1.fidonet.org (Tom Gerhart) (09/14/90)

Index Number: 10356

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Hi Laura,

I work for Social Security adm. and I use a large print system called
Lyon Large. It is sold by TSI and sells for about $1200.00.  It works
well with the Avatar emulation software that I use, along with Artic
speech. I like the Lyon because you do not need a mouse and you can keep
yours hands on the keyboard. Tom G

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!273!210!Tom.Gerhart
Internet: Tom.Gerhart@f210.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Timothy.Mcilwee@p0.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Timothy Mcilwee) (09/17/90)

Index Number: 10395

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

This response is in regards to the person who wanted info about
screen enlargers for unix.  I have a public domain program to
do just this for a Dos PC.  It allows you to read a text file and
enlarges the letters.  It doesn't enlarge letters in other programs
though.  The way it works is to find the pattern in ROM that the PC
uses to print letters on the screen (it builds them up with patterns of
dots) and enlarges this pattern to be much larger.  Something similar
could be done on Unix systems, though it may be specific to the
particular computer (or terminal) running unix.  This would be a good
question to redirect to a Unix technical conference.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!114!15.0!Timothy.Mcilwee
Internet: Timothy.Mcilwee@p0.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org