[misc.handicap] migranes

Barry.Roy@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Barry Roy) (08/10/90)

Index Number: 9660

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

I have a friend who suffers from severe migrane headaches.  She is
really out of it for days at a time.  Does anybody have any thoughts
on how to get rid of these things?

Regards,
Barrys

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Barry.Roy
Internet: Barry.Roy@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Joseph.Tesoro@p0.f33.n130.z1.fidonet.org (Joseph Tesoro) (08/10/90)

Index Number: 9661

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

There are vasodilaters one can take by Rx  only also there are med's
which can deal with the stress factor involved.  On the non med's
side one should take some time out each day to just kick back and
get a grip.  Most migrains are stress related if you can do away
with the stress causing the headache you do away with the head ache
huh sounds easy right.  Really depending on how a person wishes to
be treated for the problem is how the M.D. will treat it.  As I have
said some Rx tranquilizers ie valium visteral or a common b-bklocker
used is inderal then there are vasodilators.  Or the holistic approach
easy listen music new age music relaxization time.  Take your pick
though the person has to believe the headaches will go away or they
will continue ie, uh oh its 2:00 and I know my migrain is around
the corner it usually occurs at 2:30 every day.  Sometimes all you
have to do is break the pattern and they just go away.  Well good
luck.           LATER

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!130!33.0!Joseph.Tesoro
Internet: Joseph.Tesoro@p0.f33.n130.z1.fidonet.org

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (Sue Bishop) (08/20/90)

Index Number: 9886

In article <13332@bunker.UUCP>, Barry.Roy@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org
(Barry Roy) writes:
> Index Number: 9660
>
> I have a friend who suffers from severe migrane headaches.  She is
> really out of it for days at a time.  Does anybody have any thoughts
> on how to get rid of these things?

I used to suffer dreadfully with migrane headaches.  I would throw up, bang my
head against the wall because it felt good when I quit, etc.  Finally, I read
something that recommended caffeine avoidance for migrane sufferers.  I quit
drinking anything with caffeine in it, soft drinks (stick to caffeine free),
coffee, tea, etc.  It took several weeks for the caffeine to clear out of my
system and the migraines got worse for a while due to withdrawal but I really
haven't had a migraine since except when I slip up and drink something with
caffeine in it.
You can tell your friend about this.  I don't know if it will work for her but
it worked for me!

Liz.Petry@f1.n3801.z1.fidonet.org (Liz Petry) (08/25/90)

Index Number: 9964

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

Barry,

   One of the first things I did for my migraines was I had to stop
taking my medicine.  I stopped for almost 3 months...and I get what
one calls "menstrual migraines", and I am not sure if there is a
treatment for them.

   I have a prescription for FIORCET.  I like it a lot.  I also take
ERGOTAMINE (sublignual)...but only in an emergency!!

   I also just rest and use lots of ice packs!!  I keep those COLD
COMFORT ice apcks (I have 4) in my freezer at all times...they are
fabulous...they can be found in any pharmacy...

   I read in Woman's World recently that if one takes aspirin
everyday..that they suffer with less migraines than if they don't
take aspirin.

   Have you ever gone to a Neurologist?  Give me more information
about your pain...that's what we're here for..

   Elizabeth

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!3801!1!Liz.Petry
Internet: Liz.Petry@f1.n3801.z1.fidonet.org

Tom.Frazer@f700.n12.z1.fidonet.org (Tom Frazer) (09/18/90)

Index Number: 10434

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

I have another suggestion of what to do about migranes.
I have suffered with them since I was a kid (25 yrs) and they got
extremely bad about 10 yrs ago (to the point where I was not able to
work) and I still suffer with them on an almost daily basis, but my
doctor prescribed some medication called SANDOMIGRANE and another
called NORGESIC FORTE which reduced the intensity of the migranes to a
managable point or got rid of them altogether.
Tom Frazer

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!12!700!Tom.Frazer
Internet: Tom.Frazer@f700.n12.z1.fidonet.org

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (Sue Bishop) (10/02/90)

Index Number: 10687

In article <14209@bunker.UUCP>, Tom.Frazer@f700.n12.z1.fidonet.org
(Tom Frazer) writes:
> Index Number: 10434
>
> I have another suggestion of what to do about migranes.
> I have suffered with them since I was a kid (25 yrs) and they got
> extremely bad about 10 yrs ago (to the point where I was not able to
> work) and I still suffer with them on an almost daily basis, but my
> doctor prescribed some medication called SANDOMIGRANE and another
> called NORGESIC FORTE which reduced the intensity of the migranes to a
> managable point or got rid of them altogether.
> Tom Frazer

My daily migraines disappeared after I went totally off anything
with caffeine in it.  Turns out that I am sensitive to caffeine and
my system can't tolerate it.  Do you drink coffee?  Tea?  Soft
drinks?  If that is the cause of your headaches then it may take a
couple of weeks to get all the caffeine out of your system.