[misc.handicap] Retinitis pigmentosis

John.Kovacs@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org (John Kovacs) (09/20/90)

Index Number: 10491

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

I'm new to this particular BBS,so first of all,Howdy! I have been
going to Berman Gund Labs in Boston for several years for an ex-
perimental treatment program for RP. I haven't lost 100% of my vision
yet,but it's only a matter of time. I am interested in any info.or
feedback concerning RP.I understand there is a seminar in Las Vegas
in December. Does anybody know more about it ?
Oh well,gotta go.Hope to be back soon.Bye.
                            Prof.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!157!3!John.Kovacs
Internet: John.Kovacs@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org

John.Kovacs@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org (John Kovacs) (09/21/90)

Index Number: 10596

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Hi Maggi.The Berman Gund program really works better if you maintain
status quo.They really don't require any special diet,exercise etc.
They get upset if you change anything in your daily routines.I lost
about 20 pounds last year and they got mad!I take an oral medication
once a day that they supply.(it's a big mystery whatever it is)They
also cannot tell you if any progress is being made because it's a
controlled study.I go back once a year for a whole day of testing.
Funding has been great,that's very encouraging!!
       I still drive during the day,but not for much longer I'm
afraid.My father has RP and he's legally blind.He managed to teach
for a long time.Gotta go.Talk to you again

?
/s
/s
/?

/h

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!157!3!John.Kovacs
Internet: John.Kovacs@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org

rudy@mtqua.att.com (Avram R Vener) (10/02/90)

Index Number: 10688

In article <14273@bunker.UUCP>, John.Kovacs@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org
(John Kovacs) writes:
> Index Number: 10491

   [ stuff deleted ]

> going to Berman Gund Labs in Boston for several years for an ex-
> perimental treatment program for RP. I haven't lost 100% of my vision
> yet,but it's only a matter of time. I am interested in any info.or
> feedback concerning RP.I understand there is a seminar in Las Vegas
> in December. Does anybody know more about it ?
> Oh well,gotta go.Hope to be back soon.Bye.
   [ stuff deleted ]

John,

No I don't know anything about the seminar.  I have RP too and am
interested in this experimental treatment you mentioned.   A couple
of months ago my sister went to the Boston Eye and Ear clinic to
have some tests done.   When they interviewed her about our family
history they immediately pressed for samples of my blood (which for
the Cause of Medical Research I was happy to provide since they
were paying all the costs :-).   Can you tell me any details of the
treatment?   Is it intended to restore or regenerate damaged cells?
Stop the progessive degeneration of currently healthy cells?
Other?

Rudy Vener  uucp:  att!mtqua!rudy