[misc.handicap] TDD TO MODEM SOFTWARE

Bill.Higgins@p17.f122.n249.z1.fidonet.org (Bill Higgins) (10/03/90)

Index Number: 10820

Hi Ross,

 Allow me to quote the letter you mailed on 29-Sep-90

 RC> Hi Jeff, Sorry it has taken me so long to reply.  I didn't forget
 RC> about you.  You were looking for TDD-TO-MODEM software.  It doesn't
 RC> exist in a software-only solution.  Mainly because everything about
 RC> the Baudot protocol is different than your basic ASCII asynchronous
 RC> modems.  There are special modems, however, that are built to be
 RC> dual-purpose, ie. both TDD and MODEM in one box that work with special
 RC> software.  Most notable of this is the one made by: Phone-TTY Inc. 202
 RC> Lexington Avenue Hackensack, NJ  07601 USA It is called a CM-4
 RC> Intelligent Modem and allows the user to use his computer to
 RC> communicate to TDD's as well as regular BBS's and information
 RC> services, like Compu$pend. Hope this helps. kyl, Ross

 I think that the now obsolete Hayes 300 bauder had that ability as well to
 act as a TDD system with a certain command. Write to or call Hayes and see
 if I'm right, I suspect I might be close with this one.

Thought I'd put my two cents worth in.

 TTFN!!!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!249!122.17!Bill.Higgins
Internet: Bill.Higgins@p17.f122.n249.z1.fidonet.org

mbeck@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Mark Becker) (10/04/90)

Index Number: 10870

In article <14653@bunker.UUCP> Bill.Higgins@p17.f122.n249.z1.fidonet.org says:
>Index Number: 10820
>
> I think that the now obsolete Hayes 300 bauder had that ability as well to
> act as a TDD system with a certain command. Write to or call Hayes and see
> if I'm right, I suspect I might be close with this one.

I knew there was a varient of some Novation modem that, with some
special ROM's, could handle Baudot.

I found out (the hard way) that a conventional ASCII modem will lock
to a TDD signal.. and then (if the default parameter settings are
used) disconnect when the caller let go of the keyboard.

This nearly drove me bananas when developing my TDD BBS system..
TDD callers started whomping on their keyboards before the system
discovered it was dealing with a Baudot caller.

After wrestling with the problem for awhile, I gave up.  The
documentation was changed to tell TDD callers to wait about 10-15
seconds for the TDD banner to pop up.

Regards,
Mark
mbeck@ai.mit.edu

rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu (Dick Barth) (10/09/90)

Index Number: 10946

In Digest # 1543  mbeck@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Mark Becker) writes:

   > I think that the now obsolete Hayes 300 bauder had that ability as well to
   > act as a TDD system with a certain command. Write to or call Hayes and see
   > if I'm right, I suspect I might be close with this one.

   I knew there was a varient of some Novation modem that, with some
   special ROM's, could handle Baudot.

True. It was the Novation Applecat, and came with an in-ROM program
called DEAFWARE. Another package was written by Bill Blue to use
the hardware, and some users thought it an improvement over what
came with the modem card. It was called "ASCII Express", if I
remember correctly.

   I found out (the hard way) that a conventional ASCII modem will lock
   to a TDD signal.. and then (if the default parameter settings are
   used) disconnect when the caller let go of the keyboard.

TDDs are half duplex. They talk and listen on the same tone pair,
and so have to shut off their transmit tones when you stop keying.
If your -103 modem is broad enough (and doesn't filter out the
mid-band frequencies at 1400 and 1800 where TDDs operate) it will
think a TDD is an ASCII carrier.  Until you stop typing, the
carrier drops, and the modem disconnects.  Some Bell-103 type
modems work the same way. They can't tell the difference between a
300 baud carrier and a 1200 or 2400 baud carrier. They'll tell the
computer a carrier has called and the computer will collect a
snootful of garbles before the caller hangs up.

   This nearly drove me bananas when developing my TDD BBS system..
   TDD callers started whomping on their keyboards before the system
   discovered it was dealing with a Baudot caller.

Funsies.

   After wrestling with the problem for awhile, I gave up.  The
   documentation was changed to tell TDD callers to wait about 10-15
   seconds for the TDD banner to pop up.

I haven't found a better solution either.

   ------