[net.space] Response to Greg Earle's mindless anti-human flame

KFL@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU ("Keith F. Lynch") (03/08/86)

    From: hplabs!sdcrdcf!oberon!smeagol!earle@ucbvax.berkeley.edu  (Greg Earle)

    In article <[MC.LCS.MIT.EDU].835728.860302.KFL>, Keith Lynch writes:
    >   The term 'population explosion' is a pernicious term.  It makes
    > population sound like a bad thing.
    Do you live in a cave?  It IS a bad thing - most (if not all) of the
    world's ecosystem problems can be directly traced to humankind multiplying
    like flies and devouring all available space!!!!

  I don't think a 2% growth rate is 'multiplying like flies', and I
don't think 10 acres per person is 'devouring all available space'.
This message seems quite hysterical.  Do you hate mankind?  Do you
hate yourself?

    Try coming to East L.A. sometime.  I'll let you see the pregnant women
    pushing toddlers in strollers, while they hold pre-schoolers by the arms,
    with the older kids walking behind.  Then tell me that 'population isn't a
    bad thing'.

  Why don't YOU tell her that population IS a bad thing.  Just go up
to her, and in your usual rabid manner say "Excuse me m'am but I think
the world would be a much better place if you and all your children
were dead."
  If you find the sight of women and children so hateful, why don't
you move out of the big city?

    You are at MIT, right?  You get WGBH?

  I have an account on an MIT computer.  I live in Virginia, near
Washington D.C.

    I shouldn't need to mention the clubbing of baby seals to make coats for
    Fucking Rich Moron women.

  Please don't.  What about the slaughter in slaughterhouses?  Do you
eat meat?  Chicken?  Fish?  What about vegetables, why should plants
suffer?  What about animals that eat animals, are they as evil as
people?

    My idea of the main point in going into space is that an unintended
    offshoot will be to get all the *f____g people* off of the earth, so
    maybe the Planet and the animals (who beat us here by a LONG time) will
    have a slim chance of repairing all the damage that humans have caused to
    the ecosystem.

  Why do you hate mankind so much?
  Another reason for going into space is to bring plants and animals
with us, so that there can be so many more of them over a much wider
area for a much longer time.  In the long run, mankind is the one hope
of all life on Earth.
								...Keith

ph@wucec2.UUCP (03/10/86)

In article <[MC.LCS.MIT.EDU].843289.860308.KFL> Keith Lynch writes:
>    					   . . . most (if not all) of the
>    world's ecosystem problems can be directly traced to humankind multiplying
>    like flies and devouring all available space!!!!
>
>  I don't think a 2% growth rate is 'multiplying like flies', and I
>don't think 10 acres per person is 'devouring all available space'.
>This message seems quite hysterical.  Do you hate mankind?  Do you
>hate yourself?

	    I fail to see the point to these rhetorical (I hope)
	questions.  I do not hate myself, nor do I hate mankind, but I
	do consider some of the things human beings have done to Earth's
	ecosystem because of population pressure and greed to be--well,
	let's try not to get too incendiary here--regrettable.

>    Try coming to East L.A. sometime.  I'll let you see the pregnant women
>    pushing toddlers in strollers, while they hold pre-schoolers by the arms,
>    with the older kids walking behind.  Then tell me that 'population isn't a
>    bad thing'.
>
>  Why don't YOU tell her that population IS a bad thing.  Just go up
>to her, and in your usual rabid manner say "Excuse me m'am but I think
>the world would be a much better place if you and all your children
>were dead."
>  If you find the sight of women and children so hateful, why don't
>you move out of the big city?

	    While I can think of some people of whom I would make
	statements like the above, she would not be one of them.  But
	you still have not addressed the fact that the world WOULD be a
	much better place if there were not so many people in it that we
	have to destroy so much of the life around us and fight among
	ourselves for food to eat, space to live, safe water to drink,
	clean air to breathe, etc.

>    I shouldn't need to mention the clubbing of baby seals to make coats for
>    Fucking Rich Moron women.
>
>  Please don't.  What about the slaughter in slaughterhouses?  Do you
>eat meat?  Chicken?  Fish?  What about vegetables, why should plants
>suffer?  What about animals that eat animals, are they as evil as
>people?

	    I do not eat meat.  While the destruction of any life is
	undesirable, I consider it less wrong to kill plants than
	animals.  (And because I do not "hate mankind", I do not propose
	that we starve ourselves to death rather than kill things in
	order to eat them.)  Carnivorous animals are less reprehensible
	than carnivorous people because they have less capacity for
	moral choice.  I do NOT intend to get into a debate about this
	in net.space; check net.veg archives for more discussion on this
	subject.

>    My idea of the main point in going into space is that an unintended
>    offshoot will be to get all the *f____g people* off of the earth, so
>    maybe the Planet and the animals (who beat us here by a LONG time) will
>    have a slim chance of repairing all the damage that humans have caused to
>    the ecosystem.
>
>  Why do you hate mankind so much?

	    "Please stop torturing that cat to death."
	    "Why do you hate me?"

>  Another reason for going into space is to bring plants and animals
>with us, so that there can be so many more of them over a much wider
>area for a much longer time.  In the long run, mankind is the one hope
>of all life on Earth.

	    In the LONG run, yes--just as in the long run going into
	space is the only thing that will save us from Sol's red giant
	stage.  But on a much shorter time scale we are a grave threat
	to much of the life on Earth.  Look at the number of species
	human beings have managed to extinguish, endanger, threaten,
	etc. in the time we've had, which compared to the time until
	it's time for us to save them is quite short.  How many will be
	left by then?
	    BTW, please note that I am NOT Greg Earle.  (I wouldn't
	concern myself about most of you, but Keith's apparent capacity
	for reasoning got me worried.)  I just stepped into this
	argument because Keith's article was so silly I couldn't resist.

						--pH
/*
 *	    "Oh, yeah?  Well, why don't YOU just try having a honeymoon
 *	on a goddamned mattress out in the middle of that goddamned
 *	hall?"
 */

cgeiger@ut-ngp.UUCP (Charles S. Geiger, Esq.) (03/11/86)

>>>In the long run, mankind is the one hope of all life on Earth.

hahahaha....Ha Ha...HAHAHAHAHA!  Is this some kind of joke?
You've got to be kidding.  Oh sure, the sun will supernova in
3 billion years, so only humans can save life in the long run--
SO WHAT?                                             ^^^^

I also don't think you're being fair to Mr. Earle--he never says
that he hates people; he merely suggests that we're screwing our
planet up with too many people.  To equate the two is the equivalent
of Reagan calling those who are against contra aid communist
sympathizers.

allen@mmm.UUCP (Kurt Allen) (03/17/86)

> I shouldn't need to mention the clubbing of baby seals to make coats for
> F*****g Rich Moron women.

	I think that the net would be a better place if people used
	the same communication discipline in posting articles to the net
	as they are required to use over any other public communication
	system. I.E. CB, TV, Radio, etc. Please don't express yourself
	in ways that are degrading, abusive, and rude.

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (03/25/86)

In article <621@mmm.UUCP> allen@mmm.UUCP (Kurt Allen) writes:
>> I shouldn't need to mention the clubbing of baby seals to make coats for
>> F*****g Rich Moron women.
>>
>	I think that the net would be a better place if people used
>	the same communication discipline in posting articles to the net
>	as they are required to use over any other public communication
>	system. I.E. CB, TV, Radio, etc. Please don't express yourself
>	in ways that are degrading, abusive, and rude.

( I assume the "*****" started out as "uckin" ).  Actually, that word is
showing up on radio and TV.  For example, local TV stations in Los Angeles
have taken to showing uncut movies that include such words ( nudity too ).
So far, reactions have been positive.

--

Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim