[misc.handicap] Empowerment - a comment

34AEJ7D@CMUVM.BITNET (Bill Gorman) (10/03/90)

Index Number: 10786

I see nothing wrong with supporting, politically and financially,
those who support the rights of the disABLED. If this involves
gatewaying a political campaign message now and then, I say so be it.
After all, how much time have we all devoted on this echo in the past
to actively campaigning for tht ADA? What are we to do now, sit back
and let it be nibbled away before it ever gets off the ground? I don't
think that is a reasonable approach, and I tfell Bill was absolutely
correct in gatewaying the message in question.

On a related point, there was some talk of a "backlash" against the ADA
on this echo in the past. It is my feeling that that backlash is developing
now; not against us, the disABLED, but against out elected representatives
who went out on a political limb against some major pressure groups to pass
the ADA. It seems to me that it is only fair that we support, politically,
(and financially if and as we can) those men and women who have shown
themselves to be our friends in the House and Senate.

They didn't drop the ball when WE needed THEM.

W. K. (Bill) Gorman

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (10/10/90)

Index Number: 10990

 To: 34AEJ7D@CMUVM.BITNET (Bill Gorman)

 BG> On a related point, there was some talk of a "backlash" against the ADA
 BG> on this echo in the past. It is my feeling that that backlash is
 BG> developing now; not against us, the disABLED, but against out elected
 BG> representatives who went out on a political limb against some major
 BG> pressure groups to pass the ADA. It seems to me that it is only fair
 BG> that we support, politically, (and financially if and as we can) those

 BG> men and women who have shown themselves to be our friends in the House
 BG> and Senate.

        It would be helpful if you would be specific.  Which
representives are receiving the pressure and from what pressure
groups.

        Blanket statements cloud the basic issue which seems
like a general pitch for campaign funds.  This is understandable
when you consider that the average senator needs to raise $20,000
each day to fund his re-election

                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org