[net.space] teleoperators/shuttle economics/future in space

dls@mtgzz.UUCP (d.l.skran) (03/25/86)

The following is from private mail; posted with Rick's permission.

>  From: ihnp4!ucbvax!mcgeer@ji.berkeley.edu (Rick McGeer)
>  Subject: Re:  (teleoperators)(Boskone Panalist, etc.)
>
>  	It is absolutely irrelevant what a great thing teleoperated devices
>  	might be in 20 years. The question is what do we need to do NOW
>  	so that in 20 years we will be ready to build the lunar mines
>  	and solar power satellites. The Japanese will build the robots
>  	regardless. The space station - the shuttle - these things won't
>  	just happen.
>
>  I think Paul's point is that none of these things will be economically viable
>  in 20 years anyway, Shuttle, Space Station, or TAV notwithstanding.  I don't
>  agree with him, but *I can't prove it*; certainly most of the major studies

No one is going to be able to "prove it" except after the fact. The best
that can be done now is to make a solid business case. Such a case cannot
be made, not because of the intrinsic lack of viability of these ideas, but
because the required preliminary work(and hence risk) is far too great
for any profit-making company to undertake. Hence, we must **get with it**
and do the preliminary work as a nation.
We must build the infrastructure to support
larger ventures, including:
	STS(shuttle & TAV)
	space station in LEO
	station in GEO
	station at L2(functionally a lunar station)
	the OMV
	the reusable OTV

This is what the President's Commission of space is widely rumored
to be asking for AND IT MAKES SENSE.

>  that I've seen up to now support his position.  We can argue that the SPS
>  study, for example, left out some crucial stuff -- it didn't count the

That's for SURE. The most important consideration left out was the use
of lunar/asteroidal materials("too risky"). I strongly doubt that
any major space construction project is possible without the use of
materials from non-terrestrial sources. In this context, the infamous
DEO report on solar power satellites that came up with the one trillion
dollar figure and the need for hundreds(nay - thousands) of shuttle flights
must be regarded not as a serious investigation of solar power satellites
but as an attempt to prevent solar power satellites from competing for
scarce research funds within DEO.

>  environmental cost of coal, for example (just as the anti-nukes don't;but any
>  Canadian will give you an earful about the environmental costs of coal, since
>  Canada bears the burden of acid rain).  But we can't prove that anything done
>  in space will prove competitive with earth-based technologies.  I'm sure Paul

I'm not sure what you mean, but there is every reason to suppose that
communication satellites can and do compete with Earth-based technologies
in many markets. There is a strong case that materials processing in
space will be competitive with Earth-based technologies once we get past
the current R&D phase. In the final analysis, the only way to answer
the critics is to start a business and make money in space.

>  would agree that IF there were any construction in space worth doing RIGHT
>  NOW, that humans would be the answer.  But his point is, given that you're

See above: there is plenty of stuff we need to construct in space right now,
and I didn't even mention satellite repair and the construction of
large communication platforms. If we wait 25 years, we'll still need 20
years to build it all. Robotics is not a magic wand that will build
space stations for us. We need **operating experience** and there's only
one way to get it. We need the 20 years of research in zero gee
or we'll still be on square one bickering about whether or not materials
processing in space makes sense.

>  going to wait 25-50 years anyway, why not do a Manhattan project in robotics
>  right now, as opposed to launching essentially uneconomic Shuttles?
>
>  					-- Rick.

As I have already mentioned, the money and technical effort going
into robotics/AI/computers already beggars the Manhattan project.
More is just a drop in a bucket. R&D already may be proceeding as fast
as our organizations and economies can absorb the innovations.

However, a similar effort in TAV/Shuttle/Space station technology DOES
NOT EXIST. Robots will be built - by the Japanese if no one else.
We are the technology leaders in space. The Russians have
copied the shuttle. The ESA(and eventually the Japanese) are
building Dyna-soars while learning from the shuttle's mistakes.
However, if we take off 20 years to build robots & TAVs, we'll probably never
catch up. The Russians will have done 25 years of research on
their uneconomic space station and using their uneconomic
Proton launch vehicles.  They'll know how to live and work in
space - and we won't. Something tells me the information
won't be for sale, and in any case the experience is non-transferable!

The question we should be asking is: why are we suddenly demanding
NASA make the shuttle economic when Congress DIDN'T ALLOW THEM
TO BUILD EITHER AN ECONOMIC SHUTTLE OR A FLEET LARGE ENOUGH
TO BE ECONOMIC. We as a nation have once again been penny wise
and pound foolish. The tragedy is that our competitors are not
very forgiving. It should be clear to all  that if ESA, China,
Japan, and the USSR are going to offer subsidized launch services, we'll
have to also - just to keep in the game. We've lost the compact
disk market, the VCR, the compact car, the radio/TV market, etc.
etc. etc.  Can we afford to lose out here as well?

As far as I'm concerned the responsiblity for the Challenger disaster
must be shared between the NASA managers who were in such a rush to
launch that they slipped up and the OTA/OMB/Congressional penny
pinchers who spent ten years strangling the shuttle and THEN
turned around and pressured NASA to "make it pay."

Dale