[misc.handicap] TDD Bulleting Boards!

Wayne.Roorda@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Wayne Roorda) (10/02/90)

Index Number: 10778

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Hi Doug,

I tried a couple of the numbers a few minutes ago....

DB>  Marlton,  NJ    609-985-3323  South Jersey PC/DAN  (TDDMO)
DB>  Trenton,  NJ    609-633-9831  NJ BBNews  5pm-8 AM  (TDDN)

The one in Marlton I received no response at all.

The one in Trenton works just fine with a Minicom IV TDD but does
not work at all when attempting to use an XT Clone with an
internal 2400 baud modem [set at 300] and using Procomm (no
connect response message) and it simply times out at 45 seconds.

My personal opinion on expending the time and energy of making
OPUS workable with a TDD would not be worth the effort.  TDD's
per se, using the 45.5 Baudot Code is scheduled to be phased out
over the next few years.  TDD manufacturers are being encouraged
to produce TDD's that are ASCII 300 baud compatible (all the more
reason to switch to a PC/Laptop as prices continue to drop) in
addition to using the 45.5 Baudot Code.  Also keep in mind even
the newer TDD's have a limited display, usually one line with a
12 - 20 character string.
                                        Wayne

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Wayne.Roorda
Internet: Wayne.Roorda@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Stu Turk) (10/02/90)

Index Number: 10779

Wayne Roorda of 1:385/14 wrote to Doug Boone:

 WR>  The one in Trenton works just fine with a Minicom IV TDD but does
 WR>  not work at all when attempting to use an XT Clone with an
 WR>  internal 2400 baud modem [set at 300] and using Procomm (no
   =
   If you decide to try it again, try setting your comm prgm to 7O2 (7 data
bits, Odd parity, 2 stop bits) and see if that makes any difference.

    I agree with you though, it would not be worth Doug's efforts to add TDD
capabilities to Opus for the few people who might use it to chat but still not
be able to read msg's because of the one-line display.
   Vixen has her (TBBS) board set up to accept TDD's (ASCII only I believe) but
I think she said she has a seperate msg area for the TDD's with a much smaller
menu.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Stu.Turk
Internet: Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Jack.O'keeffe@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Jack O'keeffe) (10/02/90)

Index Number: 10780

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Hi Wayne.  I've tried a few of these DAN services using my MINICOM III,
and they are okay for their intended purpose.  But the're sure not OPUS.

 WR> My personal opinion on expending the time and energy of making
 WR> OPUS workable with a TDD would not be worth the effort.

I agree completely.  Traditional Baudot TDDs will be historical
artifacts in a few more years.  Meanwhile, we'll have to endure
a period when both codes are current.

BTW, have you tried the Pennsylvania relay yet?  It went online
last Monday (9/24).  The phone numbers to reach the relay are:

 1-(800)-654-5984 TDD or 1-(800)-654-5988 voice.  Within PA only.

The relay office is located in Wayne, PA.  Not very far from you.
It is intrastate only for now.  The phone companies have 3 years
from the signing of ADA to give us interstate relays.  That would
be July 26, 1993.  Hmmm.  I wonder if they would let you call home
from your office on the relay.  That's ALMOST intrastate.  Is
Voorhees in the Phila metro calling area?

The relay is supposed to have VoiceBridge (VCO) and be ASCII or
Baudot compatible, but I haven't tried either feature yet.

 WR> even the newer TDD's have a limited display, usually one
 WR> line with a 12 - 20 character string.

The new AT&T 1310+ TDD (like Rocky has in his office) has a nice
split screen display.  A pity the one AT&T had in Little Rock was
broken and didn't work.

... Live, from Beaver County, it's . . . .

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Jack.O'keeffe
Internet: Jack.O'keeffe@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Jack.O'keeffe@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Jack O'keeffe) (10/10/90)

Index Number: 11024

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 AS> I wonder why the PA relay service is only within PA.  Does
 AS> this mean you can't call out of state using the relay service?

Actually, some folks have been able to make out of state calls with
it, Annie.  But don't tell AT&T or they'll close the door :-)  The
in-state restriction may be an accomodation based on the fact that
the relay is funded by a whopping 8 cent per month surcharge on all
residential phone lines.  Wow, that's almost a whole dollar per year!
And business lines get socked double, 16 cents a month for the right
to communicate with hearing impaired customers.

 AS> I have been reading over some of the signed ADA as well as a few
 AS> info pamphlets that I receive monthly in regards to relays
 AS> services.

I'll snailmail you a copy of the brochure on the Pennsylvania Relay.
It's probably pretty close to the others, especially the ones that
are operated by AT&T.

 AS> Thought I'd mention something about a very interesting call I
 AS> received last week from Oklahoma's relay service.  They've
 AS> asked me to help them beta test the system using a CPU.
 AS> Granted, it'll only be at 300 bps but since the number is toll
 AS> free and it doesn't matter what baud rate you use in chat mode,
 AS> it should be interesting.

Stu has experienced some success using his PC to place calls to the
relay at 300 baud.  The brochure I'm mailing you includes a bit of
"Special Instructions for PC Users".  What it boils down to is 7E1.

 AS> I'll be giving it a try tomorrow using a term program I like
 AS> the best - GT Power and will keep you all posted on how it goes.

I'm not familiar with GT Power, Annie.  I use Boyan here.  Stu says
a split-screen chat mode is most convenient for calling the relay.
I believe he uses Telix.  But the relay still doesn't take the place
of a TDD for inbound calls.

 AS> BTW, guess you and I were on the same wave length with Stephen
 AS> White's messages in ABLED.

Xpress makes it so easy to forward a message that I couldn't resist
the temptation.  I thought it was quite appropriate for SilentTalk.

BTW, Ret's back.  She got her fill of grandmothering, and is busily
occupied restoring all the weight I lost while subsisting on my
own cooking.  She sends love.

... Jack.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Jack.O'keeffe
Internet: Jack.O'keeffe@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Stu Turk) (10/10/90)

Index Number: 11027

Jack O'keeffe of 1:129/26 wrote to Ann Stalnaker:

 JO>  Actually, some folks have been able to make out of state calls with
 JO>  it, Annie.  But don't tell AT&T or they'll close the door :-)  The
 JO>  in-state restriction may be an accomodation based on the fact that
 JO>  the relay is funded by a whopping 8 cent per month surcharge on all
 JO>  residential phone lines.  Wow, that's almost a whole dollar per year
   =
   Since the Relay is being operated for PA Bell by AT&T, I suspect that
customers who have selected AT&T as their long distance provider will have
little trouble making out of state calls since they are billed for the actuall
call anyway and AT&T isn't about to turn paying customers away.  The big
problem is that we can't get incoming calls from out of state because people in
other states can't call the 800 number and, so far, there is no non-800 number
to the Relay.
   As far as I know, AT&T is the only long distace provider that has TDD
operators so I specifically requested AT&T for my LD service.