[misc.handicap] exercise for paraplegics

Susan.Zeigler@p0.f301.n11.z1.fidonet.org (Susan Zeigler) (10/05/90)

Index Number: 10877

I am interested in finding out how many calories are burned by a
paraplegic performing various activities.  This kind of information
is widely available to those with two good arms and legs (i.e.  400
calories burned per hour of swimming), etc... but I would like to
know how many calories are burned for a parapalegic who walks on crutches
or ambulates in a wheel chair (i.e. calories burned per mile ... etc.).
 If anyone can steer me in a direction where I might find this info

I would appreciate it very much.  I am new to this board and am just
getting the hang of it...It's not like other boards I've logged onto
so if I make a mistake, please indulge until I get my smarts!  Thanks!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!11!301.0!Susan.Zeigler
Internet: Susan.Zeigler@p0.f301.n11.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (10/05/90)

Index Number: 10891

 SZ> I am interested in finding out how many calories are burned by a
 SZ> paraplegic performing various activities.  This kind of information
 SZ> is widely available to those with two good arms and legs (i.e.  400
 SZ> calories burned per hour of swimming), etc... but I would like to
 SZ> know how many calories are burned for a parapalegic who walks on crutches
 SZ> or ambulates in a wheel chair (i.e. calories burned per mile ... etc.).
 SZ>  If anyone can steer me in a direction where I might find this info

        It really depends on how much effort is exerted.  The
Spinal Cord Injury Treatment Center at the Lucerne Hospital in
Orlando, Florida has done some work in this area and should be
able to provide you with the information you seek.

        Hope this helps.
                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (10/09/90)

Index Number: 10958

 SZ> anyone can help I would really appreciate it.  I am interested in
 SZ> exercising (walking on crutches and/or wheeling in a chair), but I
 SZ> find myself frustrated in not knowing for sure just how much
 SZ> I'm burning.

        I think the real trick in weight lost is controling how
much you are eating.  By controling my intake I have lost about
25 pounds in the past year.  I skip breakfast, except for hot tea
and a hard boiled egg twice a week.  Lunch is fruits and raw
veggies like apples, bananas, cucumbers, radishes, and iced tea
or leamonade.  I use nutrasweet in place of sugar.  Dinner is
anything I want spagetti, pork chops, fish, with cooked veggies
and a starch.  I also have cake, pie, ice cream, potatoe chips,
or other snacks, but in very limited amounts.

        Check out the following sources.  Lucerne is where I
learned about eating properly.  On the rehab unit they push a
very good tossed salad made fresh on the unit.  Hope this helps.

Humana Hospital - Lucerne               Humana has a video tape
Lucerne Spinal Center                   and lots of other info
1818 S Main Lane                        on exercise and weight
Orlando FL 3280                         loss
407-649-6148

Jackson Memorial Rehab. Center
1611 Northwest 12th Ave.
Miami FL 33136
305-549-6272

Rancho Los Amigos Medical Ctr.
7601 East Imperial Highway
Downey CA 90242
213-923-7022

                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

era@ncar.ucar.edu (Ed Arnold) (10/12/90)

Index Number: 11064

In article <14811@bunker.UUCP> Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org writes:
>Index Number: 10958
>
>        I think the real trick in weight lost is controling how
>much you are eating.

The current trend in weight control, as exemplified by the Jenny Craig
Weight Loss Centers [disclaimer: this is not an ad, I have no financial
interest in them], is to limit fat and sodium intake.  This approach
seems to work well with people who have had problems with quantity or
calorie counting in the past.  It also has the advantage of not
restricting important elements like calcium (esp. for women), fiber,
and vitamins/minerals, which can be obtained from low-fat/low-sodium
foods.
--
Ed Arnold * NCAR * POB 3000, Boulder, CO 80307-3000 * 303-497-1253(voice)
303-497-1137(fax) * era@ncar.ucar.edu [128.117.64.4] * era@ncario.BITNET