[misc.handicap] I Guess This Is The Place

Chris.Cummins@p0.f12.n147.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Cummins) (09/25/90)

Index Number: 10621

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

     I am new to this echo.
     My name is Chris Cummins, and I am 18 yrs old.
     I am not new to modeming, as a matter of fact, I have run my share of BBS
systems in the past, mostly on smaller 8-Bit machines.  I have just recently
regenerated my interest and participation in telecommunications.
     About a year ago, I decided I was going to do a double back flip off
of a house...  I had done it before, but this time was a little different.
You see, I didn't complete the first flip even, I simply dropped on my head.
Sound painful?  At the time I didn't really think it was painful, but I did
notice a new feeling... like I was trapped inside a different body, and that
the real me was no longer able to function like I had previously.
     I went to a doctor, and he described the possibility of having some sort
of muscle condition in which the muscles don't relax properly.  I don't
remember the term he used, but maybe one of you would (if so, please try
to relate it to me, there is a lot I don't understand about the results of
my accident, I only understand how I feel now.)
     I lost about 30lbs of weight (I take it to be muscle weight, since I
am no where near the build I used to be... even with exercise), and have
even noticed I am an inch or two shorter also!  I never thought I would
be the one to have to live with a back problem, but now I have the rest of
my life to go...
    I realize there are those with far worse conditions, and I can only
empathize to a degree, since I will probably never experience the agony of
others like they do.  I do feel at times there is no one who can relate to
me, and in this respect I know for a fact you people out there can and
hopefully will.  I respect you for that... already.

[=\Chris

-- Via Opus Msg Kit v1.11

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!147!12.0!Chris.Cummins
Internet: Chris.Cummins@p0.f12.n147.z1.fidonet.org

John.Lynch@p0.f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (John Lynch) (09/27/90)

Index Number: 10668

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

My first peice of advice is forget the back flips off the roof for a
while, at least for this life time.  :-)  Have you beren to a
neurosurgion, had the run of exrays, myelograms, possible  MRE to give
the doctors a good lock. You say your feeling is different, how, and
own isyour gait when you walk, it sounds  as if you do.
This is interesting, and this is one of the better places to get a
little possible information, as most all of us damaged our backs/necks
somehow.
Regards, John

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000.0!John.Lynch
Internet: John.Lynch@p0.f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (09/27/90)

Index Number: 10670

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 CC>      I am new to this echo.
 CC>      My name is Chris Cummins, and I am 18 yrs old.

        Welcome aboard.  I broke my neck about 30 years ago.  Use
a wheelchair now.

 CC>  dropped on my head. Sound painful?  At the time I didn't
 CC>  really think it was painful, but I did notice a new feeling...
 CC>  like I was trapped inside a different body, and that the real

        Do you walk?  Do you use a wheelchair?  What can't you do
now that you were able to do before?

 CC>  I do feel at times there is no one who can
 CC>  relate to me, and in this respect I know for a fact you people

        Hang in there.  The biggest problem we all face is/was
relating to ourselves.  It's a big change from running track to
sitting in a wheelchair looking at your shoes.

                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Chris.Cummins@p0.f12.n147.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Cummins) (10/05/90)

Index Number: 10940

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

>My first peice of advice is forget the back flips off the roof for a while,
>at least for this life time.

     Oh, I have, believe me!  It is disappointing to think I will
never be able to do the neat stuff anymore, but I AM in better health
than a LOT of people.  I am in NO position to really complain, as there
are people, really better than I, and deserving of MUCH more, who have
complications in their life they really don't deserve.

>Have you beren to a neurosurgion, had the run of exrays, myelograms,
>possible  MRE to give the doctors a good lock.

     Well, the old guy only gave me an X-Ray, and he was content that that
was all I needed except a little Carisoprodol, and exercise.

>You say your feeling is different, how, and own isyour gait when you walk,
>it sounds  as if you do.

     My posture is terrible, and it really used to be quite perfect.  I
sleep terribly.  I know I am supposed to exercise in a correct posture, and
sleep in the same form, but I wonder sometimes if it is really worth it.  It
is pretty painful to FORCE myself to exhibit a straight spine when it really
isn't.  I've been riding a bicycle lately (like I said, I feel PRIVELEDGED to
even be able to do it) and usually instead of aching legs, or tiredness, I
get a sore back.  It feels like my center of balance has moved from my hips
up to the middle of my back somewhere.  And instead of the stronger part of
my body being up around my upper back, shoulders, etc., is has lowered to that
same spot, which really doesn't feel so strong.  Also, after that happened,
instead of "sensing" my arms and legs completely, it's like my upper arms
are too sensitive and my wrists feel kind of like they're just there,
respectfully the same for my legs, feet.

     Also, just because it's something I've noticed and there really isn't
anyone around I could consider slightly interested, my visual focus - instead
of being straight ahead, seems to be directed inside my skull at my nose
at somewhat of an awkward angle.

     Basically, instead of using my physical drive to help me emotionally,
I've had to use my emotional drive to concoct a physical.  Does
that make any sense?

     I really appreciate having SOMEONE to try and relate to...

[=\Chris

-- Via Opus Msg Kit v1.11

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!147!12.0!Chris.Cummins
Internet: Chris.Cummins@p0.f12.n147.z1.fidonet.org

Bob.Whiston@p4.f477.n104.z1.fidonet.org (Bob Whiston) (10/09/90)

Index Number: 10951

In a message to Chris Cummins <04 Oct 90 06:19:00> Joe Chamberlain wrote:

 JC>        Having something unexplained is disturbing.  Get an
 JC> explanation from someone, either your parents or doctors.  If
 JC> you're not satisfied then ask more questions until your are.  Be
 JC> a total pest until YOU UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING.

Damm good advice!  You have to live in your body and if there's
something wrong you just can not go out and get a replacement part
like you can for your car.  When I broke my neck years ago I drove
the Drs and nurses up the wall with questions until I was able to
figure out how to live with what I have left (considerably more
than what they expected!).

     Doleo Ergo Sum,
        HALFPINT

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!104!477.4!Bob.Whiston
Internet: Bob.Whiston@p4.f477.n104.z1.fidonet.org

Chris.Cummins@p0.f12.n147.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Cummins) (10/09/90)

Index Number: 10953

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

>Chris, it sounds to me like you are lucky to be alive and cognitive.

     Oh, DEFINITELY!  There are worse things that can happen to
         a person though.

> How is your speech, respiration, do you find yourself looking
> for words more than before?

      I have to put a little more effort into my articulation/
         pronunciation in conversation.  Sometimes I "feel" the
         same way I used to when conversing, but those times
         are few and far between.  Most of the time it's like
         I'm fighting a headache or popping of some sort in my neck
         and it's easy to lose concentration on a particular train
         of thought.

> Any holes in your memory or slow reflexes?

     I can't really pinpoint any "holes" per say (of course, if I
         could, I assume they wouldn't be holes) but thoughts bring
         reactions.  Let's see if I can clarify for you... I was
         reading a magazine article some time back about the association
         of colors to smell, and thoughts, etc... a sort of inter-linking
         so to speak... there is a term but I can't remember it.  Anyway,
         I used to experience it quite frequently, and it was sort of
         the "color" of my personalities frequency... now though,
         everything is kind of dull... no real memory flashes or
         color/taste associations...
     My reflexes ARE slower... and less acurate.

>Is there a great difference in how it feels when you are suddenly startled?

     It's funny you mentioned that, because I remember alot about
         those kind of reactions.  Tonight a couple of things happened
         that caught my attention sort of abruptly, and it seems to me
         one tends to exhibit their muscle tone at those precise moments.
         I feel like I was "stamped" at impact, and everything just
         leads to my returning to that "compacted" muscle relaxation
         (like I had muscular dystrophy or something, which I
         realize I don't, but maybe something similar due to the
         accident).  In other words, instead of instantaneously
         becoming more "alert" when startled, I jerk to the left...
         the same direction I tend to find myself focusing during
         deep thought.

I hope this isn't to much rubbish for you to cipher through, just
thought I'd take advantage of the opportunity to let my observations
out!

[=\Chris

-- Via Opus Msg Kit v1.11

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!147!12.0!Chris.Cummins
Internet: Chris.Cummins@p0.f12.n147.z1.fidonet.org

era@ncar.ucar.edu (Ed Arnold) (10/10/90)

Index Number: 11037

In article <14804@bunker.UUCP> Bob.Whiston@p4.f477.n104.z1.fidonet.org writes:
>Index Number: 10951
>
>In a message to Chris Cummins <04 Oct 90 06:19:00> Joe Chamberlain wrote:
>
> JC>        Having something unexplained is disturbing.  Get an
> JC> explanation from someone, either your parents or doctors.  If
> JC> you're not satisfied then ask more questions until your are.  Be
> JC> a total pest until YOU UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING.

I saw Chris Cummins' original post but it aged off before I replied.  This
was the one about the backflip off the roof, right?

Joe's advice is good, I think.  Acting like the typical male and "toughing
it out" can be a bad idea.  You should be doing everything possible to find
out if there is a something that can be fixed.

I had a bicycle accident 6 years ago and hit the pavement *hard*.  Instead
of getting an x-ray and analysis by an orthopedist, and having a good
D.C. adjust everything back into place, I ignored it.  Five months later
my lower back went into spasm, undoubtedly due to the lingering effects of
the accident, and again I acted like an ass and tried to tough it out.  The
result is permanent inflexibility and weakness in the lower back.

In your case, Chris, you should see several MDs to make sure somebody
hasn't missed something.  Don't pick the first one in the phonebook,
ask around to find good ones who know what they're doing.  If you can find
a good D.C. (there are a lot of bad ones), then try that too.

And please don't do any more backflips, except over pools.  Preferably
filled with water.
--
Ed Arnold * NCAR * POB 3000, Boulder, CO 80307-3000 * 303-497-1253(voice)
303-497-1137(fax) * era@ncar.ucar.edu [128.117.64.4] * era@ncario.BITNET

Douglas.Zachary@p0.f10.n137.z1.fidonet.org (Douglas Zachary) (10/17/90)

Index Number: 11125

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

DZ> How is your speech, respiration, do you find yourself looking
DZ> for words more than before?

CC>   I have to put a little more effort into my articulation/
CC>   pronunciation in conversation.  Sometimes I "feel" the

    Have you had any therapy, speech, cognitive and occupational?

DZ> Any holes in your memory or slow reflexes?

CC>   I can't really pinpoint any "holes" per say (of course, if I
CC>   could, I assume they wouldn't be holes) but thoughts bring

   If you were older it would be more noticable in areas of
expertise like "I used to know how to do this."

CC>     My reflexes ARE slower... and less acurate.

   Don't you have any insurance? At 18 you fall into a gray area
between Vocational Rehab and Childrens Services depending on whether
you worked before and cannot perform the type of work you did prior
to your injury. If your parents carried insurance then you need to
get at it before you pass the age of dependent coverage. Chris, this
could be URGENT and you are taking it too lightly. You have a right
to know and a right to treatment. If you get it and can be "normal"
again we will ALL rejoyce for you and still welcome you in these
echos but if something undetected causes your condition to get
worse or take your life, all the blame in the world won't change
things.

DZ>Is there a great difference in how it feels when you are
DZ>suddenly startled?

CC>  It's funny you mentioned that, because I remember alot about
CC>  those kind of reactions.  Tonight a couple of things happened

    I mentioned that because I have an incomplete spinal cord
injury, C-6,7 & T-1, when I get startled it feels like an electric
shock.

CC>   becoming more "alert" when startled, I jerk to the left...
CC>   the same direction I tend to find myself focusing during
CC>   deep thought.

    That is rather common with CVA.

CC> I hope this isn't to much rubbish for you to cipher through,
CC> just thought I'd take advantage of the opportunity to let
CC> my observations out!

   That is why I asked all those questions. You can't do
everything yourself though. GET HELP, we care!

                                 Zack

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!137!10.0!Douglas.Zachary
Internet: Douglas.Zachary@p0.f10.n137.z1.fidonet.org

Bob.Whiston@p4.f477.n104.z1.fidonet.org (Bob Whiston) (10/17/90)

Index Number: 11126

In a message to All <10 Oct 90 18:04:00> Ed Arnold wrote:

 EA> In your case, Chris, you should see several MDs to make sure somebody
 EA> hasn't missed something.  Don't pick the first one in the phonebook,
 EA> ask around to find good ones who know
 EA> what they're doing.  If you can find
 EA> a good D.C. (there are a lot of bad ones), then try that too.
            ^^^^

Good advice except that I would recommend an Osteopath (D.O.)
rather than a Chiropracter <sp?> (D.C.) due to the more extensive
`medical' training they go through.

 EA> And please don't do any more backflips, except over pools.  Preferably
 EA> filled with water.

     Yes, please!

     Doleo Ergo Sum,
        HALFPINT