[misc.handicap] tty

Frank.Matthews@f7.n123.z1.fidonet.org (Frank Matthews) (02/12/90)

Index Number: 6662

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Hi,
how can I make my computer talk to a tty machine....then I only have to
deal with one box!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!123!7!Frank.Matthews
Internet: Frank.Matthews@f7.n123.z1.fidonet.org

rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu (Richard Rbarth) (02/13/90)

Index Number: 6709

In Digest #1086

   Hi,
   how can I make my computer talk to a tty machine....then I only have to
   deal with one box!

The first thing you have to do is recognize that your TDD talks using the
Baudot code, rather that the ASCII code used by a computer. Also, the TDD
uses a modem that is different from those used by computers.

If you use a Tandy Color Computer, an IBM-PC (not a clone) or a PCjr,
you can get free software from the HEX BBS by John Spalding that will
do the code conversion and also emulate a TDD modem, so that no modem
is necessary. If you have another computer you will need to build or
buy a modem. There are several available from Phone-TTY Inc, Krown and
Ultratech. You can also build one from scratch using such readily
available chips as the XR2206 and X211 from EXAR inc. Or you can
modify an old Bell-103 compatible (which is FSK, like the TDD modem)
to use TDD tones.

If you buy a commercial modem, the software either comes with it (in
the case of the CM-4) or is built into the modem (in the case of the
other two). If you build your own you will have to provide your own
code conversion and comms software. Which is not difficult to do; I've
written such software in three languages for three different chips and
I'll be glad to provide you with an outline of what's necessary.

-----------------------------
Richard Barth, W3HWN,  rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu
Handicapped Educational Exchange... (301) 593-7033 (TDD & 300 baud ASCII)
                                    (301) 593-7357 (300/1200 baud, 8N1)

Jack.O'keeffe@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Jack O'keeffe) (02/13/90)

Index Number: 6716

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 FM> how can I make my computer talk to a tty machine....then I only
 FM> have to deal with one box!

It's not real easy, Frank, maybe more trouble than dealing with two
boxes.  Some of the newer TTYs (TDDs) are switchable between ASCII and
BAUDOT codes, and your PC should be able to takl to them by putting your
comm program in "chat" mode.  But most of the TDDs currently in use are
strictly BAUDOT which is the old 5-level teletype code - not directly
compatible with PCs.

There are a few modems, all outrageously priced, that purport to be
able to bridge the ASCII-BAUDOT gap.  There are even a few BBSs that
support both, but mostly are multi-line to keep the two codes separate.

There is also the speed difference to consider.  110 bps is adequate
for online typing and reading on TDDs.  But it is rediculously slow
for PCs.

Karen Winnett (Vixen*), the new SysOp of 1:203/11, is making her
board accessable to ASCII TDDs.  Dick Barth of the HEX board in
Silver Spring, MD is multi-line and supports both ASCII and BAUDOT.
He is an excellent source of information if you really want to get
into this.

Jack.

... HI-HoH Silver, Awayyyyy!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89!Jack.O'keeffe
Internet: Jack.O'keeffe@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Stu Turk) (08/11/90)

Index Number: 9722

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 > I HAVE A IBM PC (ORIGINAL), I WAS TOLD THAT YOU COULD MAKE A TTY
 > AND CONNECT IT TO THE CASSETTE PORT. HAS ANYONE EVER DONE IT? AND
 > IF SO WHERE CAN YOU GET THE PARTS. LET ME KNOW. THANKS/GEO. F.
   =
   I've never done it and am not sure about the parts but there is a
program that you use to convert the PC's ASCII to Baudot and that uses
the cassette port.  Ask the SysOp of your board (in the 'msg's to/from
the SysOp area, not here) if s/he has a program called TDD54.  If not
s/he can FREQ it from my board as  TDD54.LZH  12K.  I am running a plain
Opus and a HST modem.  There may also be newer versions of the TDD
program that I haven't found yet.
   The main reason that very few people use it is because no one has a
computer with a cassette port anymore.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Stu.Turk
Internet: Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org

rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu (Dick Barth) (08/13/90)

Index Number: 9795

Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Stu Turk) writes:

    > I HAVE A IBM PC (ORIGINAL), I WAS TOLD THAT YOU COULD MAKE A TTY
    > AND CONNECT IT TO THE CASSETTE PORT. HAS ANYONE EVER DONE IT? AND
    > IF SO WHERE CAN YOU GET THE PARTS. LET ME KNOW. THANKS/GEO. F.
      =
      I've never done it and am not sure about the parts but there is a
   program that you use to convert the PC's ASCII to Baudot and that uses
   the cassette port.  Ask the SysOp of your board (in the 'msg's to/from
   the SysOp area, not here) if s/he has a program called TDD54.  If not
   s/he can FREQ it from my board as  TDD54.LZH  12K.  I am running a plain
   Opus and a HST modem.  There may also be newer versions of the TDD
   program that I haven't found yet.
      The main reason that very few people use it is because no one has a
   computer with a cassette port anymore.

The latest version of that program is TDD56. It can be downloaded from the
HEX BBS (use 1200 baud on (301) 593-7357) or you can mail me a blank
floppy and I'll be happy to load the software and mail it back.
The file is called TDD56.ZIP and is in file area two. It also includes a
similar program (by the same author, John Spalding) that runs on the Color
Computer using the same telephone line adapter. The plug is compatible with
both computers, as I recall. The CoCo version is called TDD34.

Like the earlier (TDD54) version this file includes complete documentation
for both programs that describes the phone amplifier and what you have to
do in order to make it work.

I recommend the 1200 baud line on HEX, if you decide to download, because
my TDD modem got zapped during a recent thunderstorm. That line (593-7033)
is temporarily connected to a Hayes-type almost-compatible which doesn't
handle 300 baud in the Hayesian manner, hence this line is 1200 only and
does not support downloading. I hope to get the CM-4 going shortly.

-----------------------------
Richard Barth, W3HWN,  rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu
Handicapped Educational Exchange... (301) 593-7033 (TDD & 300 baud ASCII)
                                    (301) 593-7357 (300/1200 baud, 8N1)

Paper: HEX     11523 Charlton Drive   Silver Spring MD 20902

Clint.Stockton@f8.n135.z1.fidonet.org (Clint Stockton) (10/17/90)

Index Number: 11124

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

I appreciate the time you took to answer my message. I feel in many ways
the government are holding the deaf back by sticking with the TDD's.
I guess maybe it would be cost inhibitive though to change out all the
TDD's with simple bare bones xt's or pc's with modems.....  Oh well...
Again thanks.....

later

Clint

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!135!8!Clint.Stockton
Internet: Clint.Stockton@f8.n135.z1.fidonet.org

Eric.Bohlman@f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org (Eric Bohlman) (10/18/90)

Index Number: 11171

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

The chief reason for "sticking with TDDs" is simply that a lot of people
already have them (back in the 60's, AT&T released a bunch of old Baudot
Teletypes for use as TDDs.  This was back when a 300-baud modem would
have cost thousands of dollars).  The short-term benefits of replacing
all that existing equipment would be outweighed by the short-term costs.
It's analogous to a telephone situation that exists in the hearing world:
the implementation of ISDN.  If you were building the nation's telephone
system from scratch today, you'd run digital trunks into every home and
business.  However, that doesn't imply that you could tear out all the
existing local telephone plant and replace it with ISDN right now; the
amount of existing (and working) equipment that would need to be scrapped
would be overwhelming.
The conversion away from the Baudot/Weitbrecht TDDs will have to be a
gradual process of attrition, with temporary "bridges" like dual-standard
units and translating modems.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!115!778!Eric.Bohlman
Internet: Eric.Bohlman@f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org