[misc.handicap] Hidden Caption

yokoo@caen.engin.umich.edu (Makoto Yokoo) (10/19/90)

Index Number: 11201

[Note from Bill McGarry: See the next article]

I found some Movie Video Tape has "Hidden Caption", namely,
someone who can't hear can see the caption (superimposition) of
the movie.

Is anybody know how to see the "Hidden Caption"?
I suppose I need to attach something to the VCR.
Where can I buy one and how much it cost?

Makoto Yokoo
AI Lab. University of Michigan

wtm@bunker.uucp (Bill McGarry) (10/19/90)

Index Number: 11202

Makoto Yokoo (yokoo@caen.engin.umich.edu) writes:
>I found some Movie Video Tape has "Hidden Caption", namely,
>someone who can't hear can see the caption (superimposition) of
>the movie.
>
>Is anybody know how to see the "Hidden Caption"?
>I suppose I need to attach something to the VCR.
>Where can I buy one and how much it cost?

There is a decoder required which will go between your VCR and
your television.  This will allow you to see the captions on your
videos as well as the captions on many television shows as well.

If I'm not mistaken, you can purchase the decoder from Sears or
Penny's which sells them at cost.  Price is around 180 dollars.

Bill