[net.space] The Challenger Crew

lcc.todd@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU (Todd Johnson) (03/12/86)

In a perfect world I think it would be found fitting if we were to erect
an eternal flame outside of the Johnson Space Center with a plague to
commemorate all those who have died in spacecraft above which would be the
pledge:
	"We shall always persevere"

robertv@tekla.UUCP (Robert Vetter) (03/15/86)

> In a perfect world I think it would be found fitting if we were to erect
> an eternal flame outside of the Johnson Space Center with a plague to
> commemorate all those who have died in spacecraft above which would be the
> pledge:
> 	"We shall always persevere"

Huh ???  Where is the plaque for the original Apollo astronauts who
died on the launch pad ???  They got into the rocket BEFORE there was
a regular high success/launch ratio.  I understand the sentiment, but
let's use our energies to go FORWARD rather than to remember the past.

Rob Vetter
(503) 629-1291
[ihnp4, ucbvax, decvax, uw-beaver]!tektronix!tekla!robertv

"Waste is a terrible thing to mind" - NRC
  (Well, they COULD have said it)

elw@netexa.UUCP (03/18/86)

> In a perfect world I think it would be found fitting if we were to erect
> an eternal flame outside of the Johnson Space Center with a plague to
> commemorate all those who have died in spacecraft above which would be the
> pledge:
> 	"We shall always persevere"

I like the idea, see if you can get it rolling.

			E. L. Wiles @ NetExpress, Inc. Virginia

elw@netexa.UUCP (03/18/86)

> > In a perfect world I think it would be found fitting if we were to erect
> > an eternal flame outside of the Johnson Space Center with a plague to
> > commemorate all those who have died in spacecraft above which would be the
> > pledge:
> > 	"We shall always persevere"
>
> Huh ???  Where is the plaque for the original Apollo astronauts who
> died on the launch pad ???  They got into the rocket BEFORE there was
> a regular high success/launch ratio.  I understand the sentiment, but
> let's use our energies to go FORWARD rather than to remember the past.
>
> Rob Vetter

Rob, The suggestion clearly states that ALL those who have died would be
included.  Read before you flame...please?  And, those who do not remember
the past, have no future.  We need to remember our failures most of all, since
it is by failure that we learn.

			E. L. Wiles @ NetExpress, Inc. Virginia

robertv@tekla.UUCP (Robert Vetter) (03/26/86)

In article <182@netexa.UUCP> elw@netexa.UUCP writes:
>> > In a perfect world I think it would be found fitting if we were to erect
>> > an eternal flame outside of the Johnson Space Center with a plague to
>> > commemorate all those who have died in spacecraft above which would be the
>> > pledge:
>> > 	"We shall always persevere"
>>
>> Huh ???  Where is the plaque for the original Apollo astronauts who
>> died on the launch pad ???  They got into the rocket BEFORE there was
>> a regular high success/launch ratio.  I understand the sentiment, but
>> let's use our energies to go FORWARD rather than to remember the past.
>>
>> Rob Vetter
>
>Rob, The suggestion clearly states that ALL those who have died would be
>included.  Read before you flame...please?  And, those who do not remember
>the past, have no future.  We need to remember our failures most of all, since
>it is by failure that we learn.
>
>			E. L. Wiles @ NetExpress, Inc. Virginia

	Please accept my apologies.  I DID miss the "all".  The point I
	am trying to make, however, is that nearly two months after the
	accident, we are still mourning.  Please put up your monument.
	Complete your collections for a new orbiter, or the families.
	But, meanwhile, remember that public support for a viable,
	permenant settlement in space is decreasing.

	The space program has degenerated over the past 17 years from
	going to the moon to making a < 1 week stay in orbit.  I believe
	that part of the problem is that we spend alot of time licking
	our wounds.  The Apollo program was diminished after Apollo 13.
	We have put up no space stations since Skylab. And now, it
	looks as if there will be a long wait before another shuttle
	launch.  (I am not by any means saying that these are the only
	reasons for cuts, but they are and were major factors).

	Collectively, we are remembering the "fall off the bicycle",
	and not the exhilaration of "coasting down the hill".
	Yes, it is important to learn from our mistakes.  Yes, the
	people who have their lives in the Challenger and in other
	space missions should be remembered.  But the important thing
	is to "get back on the bike".