[misc.handicap] ARKENSTONE Response

Les.Barr@p0.f41.n147.z1.fidonet.org (Les Barr) (10/05/90)

Index Number: 10907

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Hello Daveed,

Re:  the recent message you read on "Compuserve," placing the
Kurzweil higher in rating than the ARKENSTONE Optical Character
Reader.

1.  Try as many of the scanners/optical character readers as you
can, being careful to have the "OCR" (Optical Character Reader"
attempt/read things you would want to read on a daily basis.

2.  Arkenstone's service polacy includes a 1-800 service, technical
support, a knowledgable staff, (and "High Service" dealers!) and if
you run into problems with any portion of your ARKENSTONE that
cannot be fixed by telephone support, ARKENSTONE is noted for
shipping the necessary cards/scanners/software UPS overnight.
Should you need to return a defective part and did not happen to
store the original shipping cartons, ARKENSTONE will replace them
at no charge.  (Our competitor charges its customers for shipping
to and from the manufacturer, as well as for shipping containers,
and labor.)

3.  ARKENSTONE is the number one optical character reader in the
world, and is the leader in distribution of OCR's in the world.
Perhaps this is the reason why our competitor likes to take cheap
shots at ARKENSTONE and its representatives.  (Arkenstone advises
we High Service Reps to take the high road and let our product
speak for itself with its performance!  Just ask some of the
attendees at the summer's NFB & ACB Conventions who were unable to
scan their print materials on our competitor's OCR, and came over
to the ARKENSTONE Exhibit to have their print materials read!!!)

4.  The new ARKscan and EasyScan scan software enhancers are out!
Auto-orientation of print documents placed on the scanner bed are
automatically scanned regardless of which way the page is turned on
the flat bed!  (Except for print side face up!  >GRIN<)  The new
installation software is very verbose, and allows the synthesizer
user to read everything that appears on the screen automatically.

Did I mention the support for legal size documents now, and direct
support for 400 DPI scanners from the EasyScan software?!?  (Our
competitor is using a 400 DPI scanner to get less acurate results
than ARKENSTONE's 300 DPI Hewlett Packard ScanJet and ScanJet Plus
results.)  ARKENSTONE also supports a wide variety of other
document scanners, so if you want to use a 400 DPI scanner, you
can.  (The Panasonic 505 & 506 400 DPI scanners are quite popular
for use with the ARKENSTONE OCR.

5.  ARKENSTONE is able to read, and translate, fax/image files, and
can read dot matrix/computer printed papers.  TODAY!!!

6.  ARKENSTONE now supports automatic output, so you can read as
ARKENSTONE is translating.  (Real handy for browsing those stacks
of papers on the desk, etc.)

7.  ARKscan and EasyScan now will allow you to scan now, for later
translating, stacks of documents, and with the auto-document feeder
attachment, life can be quite easy when reading great quantities of
print materials.

8.  Arkenstone, Inc. is a non-profit organization, set up with the
objective to get the price of an optical character reader to under
$1,000.  (One thousand dollars!)  ARKENSTONE has recently reduced
its prices on all its models, significantly, three times in the
last 12 months.  We're not down to under $1,000 yet, but we are
getting there step by step!  Our organization has a heart and soul
for "print impaired" people, and we desire to effectively drive
down the prices of at least one aspect of adaptive equipment, when
the rest of the world tends to drive the prices up as far as they
can.

9.  Arkenstone produces the best optical character reader in the
world; and this brings me to point number one, try all of the OCR's
out there on the market, and take the best.  If you feel that
ARKENSTONE does not do well for you, and there will be some that do
not like our OCR or our philosophy, (that is to be expected,
especially if you are our competition!  >GRIN<) then we respect
your decision.  I personally feel that no "print impaired" person
should be without a reader in a print oriented world.  My advise,
for whatever it is worth, is to get an OCR of some kind.

The question is, how long do you want to do without an optical
character reader, and have gained a higher state of independance
using one?  In college I average about 150 pages of text a week,
and I wouldn't want to even attempt school without the use of my
ARKENSTONE!  ARKENSTONE v. readers and/or cassette recordings I
have tried, and ARKENSTONE wins hands down.

If you are new to OCR's and/or want more information on the ARKENSTONE, you can
contact me by voice at:

(405) 364-9442

I am the Regional Rep for the ARKENSTONE OCR, but I am a "print
impaired/synthesizer using" ARKENSTONE User first.  I was going to
finance and purchase the competitor's product first, but I saw the
ARKENSTONE along the way, and couldn't be happier!  (And I even
saved a few dollars and got a better OCR!)

-Les

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!147!41.0!Les.Barr
Internet: Les.Barr@p0.f41.n147.z1.fidonet.org

Les.Barr@p0.f41.n147.z1.fidonet.org (Les Barr) (10/17/90)

Index Number: 11148

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 DM>Les:  You have my address.  Please send me literature
 DM>on the Arkenstone, including all the new stuff you outlined
 DM>in your message:  Arkscan, legal-size documents, etc.

Daveed,

As soon as I get the new info, I'll ship it your way.  Currently I
am sitting here with a nice working Beta of ARKscan and EasyScan,
so it should be available at the end of this month.  (October.)

 DM>to deal with bound books and magazines on the Arkenstone
 DM>scanner.  Perhaps you can address that? Re faxes, Arkenstone
 DM>tells me they haven't really tested that aspect, according
 DM>to Micky Quenzer, at least.  I'd be interested to know
 DM>if it would really be possible to use
 DM>it with a fax board.

As far as using the HP ScanJet and bound books (Hardback &
softback) the article really missed the mark.  I scan almost
exclusively rather large, bound books.  (For college work)  And I
have had no difficulty in using my HP scanner with any book I've
read thus far.  I am scanning/reading a book called, "Contemporary
Literary Criticism," and I have to write a graded journal entry
each week on this book.  It is a rather large hardbound book, lots
of glossy pages, and it is too big to scan more than one page at a
time.

I just turn on the quick speech feature with ARKENSTONE, scan a
page, and while it is reading me the first page, I turn the page
and scan the next.  (Sort of like reading in real time!)  So far,
we have scanned about 150 pages, and no problems so far.  (It's a
breeze and I'm even on time with my journal entries!!!)  (Makes me
extremely happy!!!)

As far as the faxcimiles go, you will need to have a fax card in
your computer that will support at least 200 X 200 DPI (dots per
inch.)  This means when someone sends you a fax, you will need to
make certain they understand they need to send it to you in "fine"
mode.  Your fax card will put it into a PCX, TIF, etc. image file,
and ARKENSTONE is set up to scan these types of files for print
content.  Works on the same principle as "scan now, translate
later."  Wherein, you would scan the print into image files onto
your hard disk, and allow ARKENSTONE to translate the files while
you are doing something else.  I generally use this feature when
reading 20 pages or more.  This way, when I return, my
text/WP/WS/etc. file is ready to be used.

 DM>Tjhanks very much. Still waiting also for that price
 DM>quote, Les!

Hmmm, I know I sent you at least one, but I'll be glad to send
another.  I still have the original file here, all I'll have to do
is make adjustments for the lowered price!

Thanks for the "heads up" on the compuserve tragedy!

-Les

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!147!41.0!Les.Barr
Internet: Les.Barr@p0.f41.n147.z1.fidonet.org

Chip.Orange@f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org (Chip Orange) (10/17/90)

Index Number: 11160

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Sorry to but in here Les, but in your discussion of my article reviewing
reading systems I beleive you have more than once crossed the fine line
between disagreement and innuendo and personal attacks.  To be sure the
article is just one mans opinion, but it is the opinion of a man who is
neither financially interested in either company (as you have emplied)
nor uninformed (since I have had several months with all three systems on
a daily basis).  Youre being an Arkenstone representative, and only
having one of the three systems, puts you on shakey ground to give
credible criticism, and certainly doesn't qualify you to call the article
a "tragedy".  Please don't take this tac in the future, and don't take
portions of the article out of context.  Remember that Kurzweil got its
lumps in the article, and Arkenstone got their cuttos as well.

     Chip Orange

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!115!778!Chip.Orange
Internet: Chip.Orange@f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org

Daveed.Mandell@p0.f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Daveed Mandell) (10/17/90)

Index Number: 11166

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

In all fairness, Chip, Arkenstone got a much larger share of
"lumps" than did the Kurzweil systems.  Arkenstone does need to
write new, more thorough documentation, and provide it in all
media.  I understand its new software should clear up many of the
problems you outlined.  However, when it comes to reading faxes, it
seems Arkenstone should theoretically have the edge, since the
Kurzweil won't accommodate image scanning, such as PCX files,
unless you buy the Discover Freedom software.  This software will
handle TIFF, but not PCX, files.  It is also provided with only
print documentation.  In summary, though, it seems to me that the
Kurzweil systems are much better systems -- in your opinion -- than
the Arkenstone.  Arkenstone will have to deal with the points your
raised, and I hope they do promptly and thereby introduce
badly-needed imrovements in system design, software and
documentation.

--Daveed--

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89.0!Daveed.Mandell
Internet: Daveed.Mandell@p0.f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org

campbell%hpdmd48@hplabs.HP.COM (Gary Campbell) (10/24/90)

Index Number: 11244

Les Barr (Les.Barr@p0.f41.n147.z1.fidonet.org) writes:
>As far as using the HP ScanJet and bound books (Hardback &
>softback) the article really missed the mark.  I scan almost

I can't remember scanning a hardback book, but with paperbacks, I find
that it takes some care to make sure that the page is straight on the
scanner.  I often have to keep my hand on the binding so that the
pressure from the binding does not cause the page to skew during
scanning.  If it's my paperback, and I have the time to go get it
done, I prefer to chop off the binding and throw it in the auto document
feeder.  Flattening the binding, to the point that it starts to break
down a bit makes things work better.  This is something I would not want
to do with a library or borrowed book.

While things that seem hard at first can get easier with practice and a
little experimentation, I think that to say that Chip "really missed the
mark" is a bit strong.  We ScanJet users may not know how easy the
Kurzweil users have it.

>exclusively rather large, bound books.  (For college work)  And I
>have had no difficulty in using my HP scanner with any book I've
>read thus far.  I am scanning/reading a book called, "Contemporary
>Literary Criticism," and I have to write a graded journal entry

I think it should be pointed out that there is a difference between
literary books and technical books such as computer texts, computer
reference books, and math texts.  While I find TrueScan works quite well
for literary text, I do not find it alone satisfactory for something
for which I need to know exact syntax.  It should be no surprise to anyone
who knows anything about ASCII and print math symbols (I think some
ancient mathematician dipped his favorite nightcrawler in an ink well
and let it loose on a piece of paper <grin>) that TrueScan won't scan
them, but I find that it doesn't do well with many ASCII symbols in
computer programs.  For example, I often get braces {} or [] as
parentheses, ~ ` and ^ are also likely to be misrecognized, and
I have known times when some of them vanish altogether.  I do find it
useful to scan these kind of books because I have an optacon which I can
use to get the exact syntax when I need it, but I would be very
disappointed if I were expecting to be able to read a book on a new
programming language complete with statement syntax, bought an
Arkenstone, and then found out it isn't as accurate as I thought.  I
have heard that the KPR does the same kind of thing, but possibly on
different characters, but have no experience or reliable reports to go
on.  On the whole I have been very happy with the TrueScan, and am
considering buying one for home.

>content.  Works on the same principle as "scan now, translate
>later."  Wherein, you would scan the print into image files onto
>your hard disk, and allow ARKENSTONE to translate the files while
>you are doing something else.  I generally use this feature when
>reading 20 pages or more.  This way, when I return, my
>text/WP/WS/etc. file is ready to be used.

Do you know what is the best image format for this?  I find that TIFF
packbits seems to scan about as fast as PCX and is smaller, and that
TIFF compressed G3 or whatever it's called is smaller yet but takes
about twice the time to scan.

--
Gary Campbell
Internet: campbell@hpdmd48.BOI.HP.COM