[misc.handicap] SOCIAL SECURITY

Warren.King@f429.n275.z1.fidonet.org (Warren King) (07/25/90)

Index Number: 9503

The follow is an article that appeared in a local paper:

             EARNINGS LIMITS GO UP FOR DISABLED

Disabled Social Security beneficiaries who receive disability
benefits can now earn more money at their jobs without risk of
losing their disability benefits.

Changes in Social Security regulations that became effective in
1990 raised the monthly earnings amount which counts in a "trial
work period" from $75 to $200.  A trial work period is a nine-month
period during which a disabled person can test returning to work
without a loss of benefits.

For self-employed people, the work hours that count for a trial
work period increased from 15 to 40 hours per month.

At the end of a trial work period, work activity is evaluated and a
determination is made of the person's ability to continue working.
If a person's earnings level is considered "substantial gainful
activity," disability benefits will be continued three more months
and then stopped.

The 1990 wage levels that are considered substantial gainful
activity have increased from $300 to $500 a month.  (The monthly
earnings limit for the blind is $780 in 1990.)

People who receive Supplemental Security Income because of
disability should contact Social Security for more information
about work because the rules are different.

Social Security's phone number is 1-800-2345-SSA (1-800-234-5772.)

The article then ended with local contact information.  It was
written by the branch manager of the Social Security office in
Virginia Beach, Dennis M. Reilly.

Warren King
'HandiNet BBS'

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!275!429!Warren.King
Internet: Warren.King@f429.n275.z1.fidonet.org

Dan.Kysor@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org (Dan Kysor) (10/12/90)

Index Number: 11075

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

hey tom, interested to hear you are at social security.  i, for
many years, always wanted to work there as a claims rep until a few
nfb members told me how hard it would be to get to that position.
has the s.s.a. ever gotton to the point of including the blind in
that job position?  dan, out of sight, out of my mind!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!203!11!Dan.Kysor
Internet: Dan.Kysor@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org

David.Martin@f800.n106.z1.fidonet.org (David Martin) (10/13/90)

Index Number: 11091

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

hey, Dan, I worked at s s a as a service rep for about 10 years, and, in that
time, 2 attempts were made in my office to place blind people in to claims rep
positions.  The first placement didn't work out too well, because the guy was
a very low partial, and, he just couldn't keep up with the paper work.  The
second guy was a high partial, and he faired much better, but, after 2 or 3
years, he came back to us, again, because of the pressure.  I'm not sure if it
was because of the lack of sight, or whether it was because of some other
reason.  For a total, though, unless he/she was a teleclaims rep, (just taking
claims over the phone) I don't think it could be done easily.  Too much
verifying of documents to have to do.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!106!800!David.Martin
Internet: David.Martin@f800.n106.z1.fidonet.org

Henry.Kasten@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org (Henry Kasten) (10/13/90)

Index Number: 11095

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

dan, You asked Tom G. if any Blinks had advanced to a particular position
with Social Security.  What difference does it make?  Blinks havn't held
thousands of jobs, that doesn't mean they can't.  shoot man, if there is
a job that you want, and you feel you could handle that kind of work,
then go for it.  If anybody grabs you and holds you back, you call me.
falcon and I will jump on the first plane, we'll find that guy and beat
the living daylights out of him.  don't wait on a job made for blinks!
That is repugnant!  Hundreds of disabled people have fought long and hard
so that you can go out and find a job that best suits your needs.  If
working for S.S.A. is your life dream, then great, but if you are only
interested because other blinks are doing it, well then, that is a cop
out.  Dan, you don't have to look very far to find success stories about
Blinks going out there and making something of themselves.  Have
confidence in yourself.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!130!10!Henry.Kasten
Internet: Henry.Kasten@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org

Dan.Kysor@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org (Dan Kysor) (10/23/90)

Index Number: 11214

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

the difference henry, is that traditionally, social security has
not wanted or made accomidations for blind folks to [D[Dwork in the
claims rep position and it took a law suit to force s s a into
advancing the blind into that position.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!203!11!Dan.Kysor
Internet: Dan.Kysor@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org

Dan.Kysor@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org (Dan Kysor) (10/23/90)

Index Number: 11217

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

herrah!  hurrah!  clap! clap! clap!  i think many of these 2 bit
rehab agencies should loose their funding (get rid of the middle
man) and the funds from s.s.a. which go to rehab should go directly
to the client.  Rehab here in california is a total joke.  if
corruption dosen't get in the way, it's there 2 pet programs they
pawn off on the unemployed, college or b.e.p.  i'd like to see them
shut down and let's have a choice of "private rehab" services or
get the funds directly!!!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!203!11!Dan.Kysor
Internet: Dan.Kysor@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org

cjohn975@pallas.athenanet.com (John Johnson) (10/26/90)

Index Number: 11276

In article <15090@bunker.UUCP> Dan.Kysor@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org writes:
>Index Number: 11217
>
>herrah!  hurrah!  clap! clap! clap!  i think many of these 2 bit
>rehab agencies should loose their funding (get rid of the middle
>man) and the funds from s.s.a. which go to rehab should go directly
>to the client.  Rehab here in california is a total joke.  if
>corruption dosen't get in the way, it's there 2 pet programs they
>pawn off on the unemployed, college or b.e.p.  i'd like to see them
>shut down and let's have a choice of "private rehab" services or
>get the funds directly!!!

I think the main reason that these state rehab folks are unwilling to
send clients out of state is fear.  They know that their own state
programs can't measure up to some of the private programs out
there.  The "good ole boys," are operating as if things were the same
now as they were twenty-five or thirty years ago when they could tell
a blind consumer "this is the only program there is, take it or leave
it," but the times they are a-changin and mediocrity just isn't good
enough anymore.  These guys better wake up and smell the coffee.

--Chip-- (cjohn975@athenanet.com or uunet!pallas!cjohn975)

Lee.Kerr@f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lee Kerr) (10/26/90)

Index Number: 11298

I think that might be a good idea.  atleast we wwuld know how to spend the
funds.  There is an atte}pt being made to let the client decide which
agency he or she waots to use to get the traning  needed to get a job
iostead of dealiog with tpe sick system like we have here iin  arizona.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!7!Lee.Kerr
Internet: Lee.Kerr@f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org