[net.space] You can fool all the people...

jlm@uvacs.UUCP (Jerry Marco) (03/17/86)

> [stuff about exponential population growth inevitably slowing down]
>
> For
> this reason, space may well be the solution to our future population
> problems, not because a significant percentage of humanity will emigrate,
> but because space is gonna make us all stinking rich.
>
> 					-- Rick.

Yeah.  And nuclear power will be so cheap to produce we won't be billed
for it.  And Esperanto will be the universal language, and put an end
to war.  And smart computers will mean that people don't have to do
any work unless they want to.  And if farmers borrow money to upgrade
their equipment their financial worries will be over.  Gimme a break.

Jerry Marco         University of Virginia, Dept. of Computer Science
                    UUCP: ..cbosgd!uvacs!jlm  or
                          ..decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!jlm
                    CSNET: jlm@virginia

dick@ucsfcca.UUCP (Dick Karpinski) (03/27/86)

In article <265@uvacs.UUCP> jlm@uvacs.UUCP (Jerry Marco) writes:
>> but because space is gonna make us all stinking rich.
>Yeah.  And nuclear power will be so cheap to produce we won't be billed
>their equipment their financial worries will be over.  Gimme a break.

But, really, middle-class folks in this country ALREADY have powers
well beyond those granted to kings and emperors of yesteryear!  Could
YOU fly to Hawaii tomorrow and fly back the next day, if you happened
to want to do that?  I could.

Dick
--

Dick Karpinski    Manager of Unix Services, UCSF Computer Center
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!dick   (415) 476-4529 (12-7)