[misc.handicap] is this funny?

Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Stu Turk) (09/13/90)

Index Number: 10350

 > From: era@ncar.ucar.edu (Ed Arnold)

 > Q. What is the difference between an autistic savant and a
 > programmer?
 > A. The autistic savant can communicate.
 >
 > My question is: do you think this joke is funny or not, and why?
    =
   Yes, its funny (sort of).  Why do you think so many programmers get
someone else (usually a non-programmer) to write the documentation for
their program?     :-)

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Stu.Turk
Internet: Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Jim.Trumbull@f17.n2001.z1.onebdos.UUCP (Jim Trumbull) (09/14/90)

Index Number: 10353

 > Q. What is the difference between an autistic savant and a
 > programmer?
 > A. The autistic savant can communicate.
 >
 > My question is: do you think this joke is funny or not, and why?

Well Ted, I see some humor in this statement as I have had exposure to
programming and programmers.  I would not want to generalize and say that
programmers can't communicate, but that profession was not for me and could
have possibly lead to some personal communication disorders :-)

Hoffman (in Rainman) had some problems with his communication skills, but
he usually got his point across ... KMART!!! :-)

Honest opinion - some yuks, but poor taste.

WALKIN/JIM

--- FD 1.99c
 * Origin: Jim Trumbull & Associates, Cassidy, B.C. (1:2001/17)

--
        Jim Trumbull - via IMEx node 89:681/1
        Jim.Trumbull@f17.n2001.z1.onebdos.UUCP

Douglas.Zachary.Of.137/10@p0.f10.n137.z1.fidonet.org (Douglas Zachary Of 137/10) (09/18/90)

Index Number: 10412

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

Copied from ABLED by Alan Hess

The joke was not funny. Many jokes are not funny, the wit is. Most
Polish people that I know are not offended at Polish jokes. I am
rarely offended at ant real joke. A fellow quad and I have a heck
of a good time inventing quad jokes. Are we to be emotionally
disabled and humor disabled because we are physically disabled? Who
says?

Q: What do you call a quad in a ditch?
A: Phil.
Q: What do you call a dog with no legs?
A: Nothing, he won't come anyway.
Q: How do you punish a blind person?
A: Rearrange the furniture.

Be offended if you must but don't waste your time worrying about it.

                                 Zack

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!137!10.0!Douglas.Zachary.Of.137/10
Internet: Douglas.Zachary.Of.137/10@p0.f10.n137.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Parsons@f204.n260.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Parsons) (09/18/90)

Index Number: 10417

+>"The following joke was recently found on a departmental bulletin
>"board, under a newspaper clipping about an autistic savant (a la
>"Rainman) who was hired by a local bank.  (He's doing quite well at
>"the bank, as he can remember numerical figures from weeks or
>"months ago.)
>"Q. What is the difference between an autistic savant and a
>"programmer? A. The autistic savant can communicate.
>"
>"My question is: do you think this joke is funny or not, and why?

Well, Ed, it isn't funny (ha, ha, ha), but it's funny in the way
that all jokes of this kind are funny. They take an aspect of human
behavior and blow it up out of proportion. The reaction, at least
on this end is: "aaaaahuh."j

I don't think it's against ausistics or programmers, just sort of
blah. Put it this way, I wouldn't tell it myself, but I am not put
off.

See you on-line.

Besides I know too many programmers not to laugh just a bit. <grin>

Ann P.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!260!204!Ann.Parsons
Internet: Ann.Parsons@f204.n260.z1.fidonet.org

Douglas.Zachary@p0.f10.n137.z1.fidonet.org (Douglas Zachary) (09/20/90)

Index Number: 10528

The joke was not funny. Many jokes are not funny, the wit is. Most
Polish people that I know are not offended at Polish jokes. I am rarely
offended at ant real joke. A fellow quad and I have a heck of a good
time inventing quad jokes. Are we to be emotionally disabled and humor
disabled because we are physically disabled? Who says?

Q: What do you call a quad in a ditch?
A: Phil.
Q: What do you call a dog with no legs?
A: Nothing, he won't come anyway.
Q: How do you punish a blind person?
A: Rearrange the furniture.

Be offended if you must but don't waste your time worrying about it.

                                 Zack

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!137!10.0!Douglas.Zachary
Internet: Douglas.Zachary@p0.f10.n137.z1.fidonet.org

johnm@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (John B. Miezitis) (10/02/90)

Index Number: 10693

Douglas.Zachary@p0.f10.n137.z1.fidonet.org (Douglas Zachary) writes:

>The joke was not funny. Many jokes are not funny, the wit is. Most
>Polish people that I know are not offended at Polish jokes. I am rarely
>offended at ant real joke. A fellow quad and I have a heck of a good
>time inventing quad jokes. Are we to be emotionally disabled and humor
>disabled because we are physically disabled? Who says?
>
>Q: What do you call a quad in a ditch?
>A: Phil.
>Q: What do you call a dog with no legs?
>A: Nothing, he won't come anyway.
>Q: How do you punish a blind person?
>A: Rearrange the furniture.
>
>Be offended if you must but don't waste your time worrying about it.

Add this to your list. I made this one up while carrying something in one hand.

Q: Where does a one-armed para go?
A: Around in circles.

Enjoy it or forget about it.
Cheers..

John. B. Miezitis. University of Tasmania Computing Centre
email: johnm@diemen.cc.utas.edu.au | Belgium man Belgium!!!

era@ncar.ucar.edu (Ed Arnold) (10/03/90)

Index Number: 10785

In article <14311@bunker.UUCP> Douglas.Zachary@p0.f10.n137.z1.fidonet.org
writes:
|Index Number: 10528
|
|The joke was not funny. Many jokes are not funny, the wit is. Most
|Polish people that I know are not offended at Polish jokes. I am rarely
|offended at ant real joke. A fellow quad and I have a heck of a good
|time inventing quad jokes. Are we to be emotionally disabled and humor
|disabled because we are physically disabled? Who says?
|Be offended if you must but don't waste your time worrying about it.

I (of course) have no objection to someone with a disability making
fun of their own disability!

However, such jokes told by ABLEd persons can have quite unintended
consequences, esp. when involving mental disabilities.  The autism
joke did, and it was somewhat milder than most jokes of that type.

The joke that got my interest (and dander) up WRT the issue of humor,
was one I read last year on Usenet.  Its title was (feature this):
"Why Beer is Better than Retarded People".
--
Ed Arnold * NCAR * POB 3000, Boulder, CO 80307-3000 * 303-497-1253(voice)
303-497-1137(fax) * era@ncar.ucar.edu [128.117.64.4] * era@ncario.BITNET

Bill.Koppelmann@f810.n104.z1.fidonet.org (Bill Koppelmann) (10/09/90)

Index Number: 10982

Hey Gene, I really liked your joke, and here's an actual experience
right back at ya.
I was at the Hut last night and one of the waitresses actually walked
right in to me.  She said, "Oh, sorry, I wasn't looking where I was
going."  In return I said (as if on cue) "hey, that's all right, I do
that too."
Bill.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!104!810!Bill.Koppelmann
Internet: Bill.Koppelmann@f810.n104.z1.fidonet.org

Douglas.Zachary@p0.f10.n137.z1.fidonet.org (Douglas Zachary) (10/10/90)

Index Number: 10987

That's the spirit John. Are you aware of any computer word prcessing
converters for people with dyslexia?  Is wheelchair bowling
accomplished by an AB rolling a person in a wheelchair towards the pins
or by rollig a large ball at a group of people in wheelchairs?

                                 Zack

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!137!10.0!Douglas.Zachary
Internet: Douglas.Zachary@p0.f10.n137.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Parsons@f204.n260.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Parsons) (10/10/90)

Index Number: 10989

Hi Ed,

As I recall the joke that started this thread, it had to do with
the difference between an autistic person and a programmer. The
punch line was that Autistic persons can, I repeat *can*
communicate.

Now, of course I wouldn't tell a joke of this kind because it is in
bad taste, but the person that was being slighted was the
programmer, not the autistic person. If you think about it, it's
kind of a backhanded compliment.

Now, I repeat, when I sent in my views of this joke I said I
thought it was mildly funny, the kind of funny that you say,
"uhuh." and leave it at that.

I am sorry that a person who is autistic took the joke the wrong
way. That's why jokes of this kind are in bad taste. They can be
misconstrued.

I guess the best thing to do is tell jokes of that kind, if you
have to tell them, not on public echoes or on bulletin boards or in
any kind of public setting.

I am, for those who wish to know, a Norman Cosens fan. I think that
humor is one of the prerequisites of life it keeps us sane. Those
who can not laugh, and especially at themselves are on the edge of
mental illness.

No, I am not a psychologist, just a teacher and human being with an
opinion.  Take care, see you on-line.

Ann P.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!260!204!Ann.Parsons
Internet: Ann.Parsons@f204.n260.z1.fidonet.org

Bill.Higgins@p17.f122.n249.z1.fidonet.org (Bill Higgins) (10/10/90)

Index Number: 10994

Hi John,

 Allow me to quote the letter you mailed on 02-Oct-90

 >>The joke was not funny. Many jokes are not funny, the wit is. Most
 >>Polish people that I know are not offended at Polish jokes. I am rarely
 >>offended at ant real joke. A fellow quad and I have a heck of a good
 >>time inventing quad jokes. Are we to be emotionally disabled and humor
 >>disabled because we are physically disabled? Who says?
 >>
 >>Q: What do you call a quad in a ditch?
 >>A: Phil.
 >>Q: What do you call a dog with no legs?
 >>A: Nothing, he won't come anyway.
 >>Q: How do you punish a blind person?
 >>A: Rearrange the furniture.
 >>
 JB> Q: Where does a one-armed para go? A: Around in circles.
 JB>
 JB> Enjoy it or forget about it. Cheers..

  Ok, here's one I heard of.

     What is the hardest part of a vegetable to eat?

          The wheelchair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (God I love
          doing that!)

TTFN!!!! (sick joke R' us)

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!249!122.17!Bill.Higgins
Internet: Bill.Higgins@p17.f122.n249.z1.fidonet.org

jcs@odyssey.att.com (John C Schwebel) (10/10/90)

Index Number: 11039

In article <14847@bunker.UUCP>, Bill.Higgins@p17.f122.n249.z1.fidonet.org
(Bill Higgins) writes:
> ...TTFN!!!! (sick joke R' us)

Please move the jokes, especially the sick jokes, to rec.humor.

Adrienne.Barhydt@p15.f41.n105.z1.fidonet.org (Adrienne Barhydt) (10/13/90)

Index Number: 11106

In a message of <Oct 07 08:01>, Douglas Zachary (1:137/10) writes:

DZ>The joke was not funny. Many jokes are not funny, the wit is. Most
DZ>Polish people that I know are not offended at Polish jokes. I am
DZ>rarely offended at anY real joke. A fellow quad and I have a heck
DZ>of a good time inventing quad jokes. Are we to be emotionally
DZ>disabled and humor disabled because we are physically disabled? Who
DZ>says?
DZ>Q: What do you call a quad in a ditch?
DZ>A: Phil.
DZ>Q: What do you call a dog with no legs?
DZ>A: Nothing, he won't come anyway.
DZ>Q: How do you punish a blind person?
DZ>A: Rearrange the furniture.
 >>
 JB> Q: Where does a one-armed para go? A: Around in circles.
 JB>
 JB> Enjoy it or forget about it. Cheers..
 DZ> ;
BH>  Ok, here's one I heard of.
BH>?  What is the hardest part of a vegetable to eat?
 DZ>  ;
BH>     The wheelchair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BH> (God I love doing that!)
BH>
BH> TTFN!!!! (sick joke R' us)
 DZ>
 DZ>   Bill, that really is sick but I almost fell out of my wheelchair.
 DZ>Maybe I'll feel a little more protected around vegitarians now.
 DZ>Did you hear how they had to halt the leper hocky game, because they
 DZ>had a face off in the corner.

I love this stuff.  I feel great when I am able to laugh at
myself.  Have you seen any of John Callahan's cartoons?  The one I
have up in my cubicle at work shows a guy working at a hamburger
stand with a sign on it "Tourette Syndrome Grill" and the guy
behind the counter is handing a customer his ticket saying to him
"You're order will be ready when I yell motherf***er".

For me a lot of whether or not this stuff is funny is the context
in which it is said, i.e. who is saying it to who and why.  Telling
each other this stuff here in ABLED is great.  I'm not sure how I'd
react in some general humor echo.

Take it easy....but take it!

Adrienne

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!105!41.15!Adrienne.Barhydt
Internet: Adrienne.Barhydt@p15.f41.n105.z1.fidonet.org

Charlotte.Ferris@f5.n382.z1.fidonet.org (Charlotte Ferris) (10/17/90)

Index Number: 11129

Adrienne, I thoroughly agree, John Callahan is really funny, and in
just that kind of way that you know that he knows what's it's like
to be part of a so-called "out-group". I believe the reason his
cartoons are so funny is that in a very subtle way they often make
fun of the people who have prejudices against us.

When I spent 9 grueling weeks in the hospital with pneumonia summer
before last, some good friends brought me his autobiography
(written in the same tone as he draws his cartoons), and I swear to
you, that book helped me laugh my way right out of that hospital!
Norman Cousins knows whereof he speaks!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!382!5!Charlotte.Ferris
Internet: Charlotte.Ferris@f5.n382.z1.fidonet.org

Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Stu Turk) (10/17/90)

Index Number: 11138

 JC>  From: jcs@odyssey.att.com (John C Schwebel)
> ...TTFN!!!! (sick joke R' us)

 JC>  Please move the jokes, especially the sick jokes, to rec.humor.
     =
   Why make them (rec.humor) sick?   Besides, we need the laughs. :-)

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Stu.Turk
Internet: Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Adrienne.Barhydt@p15.f41.n105.z1.fidonet.org (Adrienne Barhydt) (10/17/90)

Index Number: 11143

In a message of <Oct 12 14:13>, Charlotte Ferris (1:382/5) writes:

 CF>Adrienne, I thoroughly agree, John Callahan is really funny, and in just
 CF>that kind of way that you know that he knows what's it's like to be part
 CF>of a so-called "out-group". I believe the reason his cartoons are so
 CF>funny is that in a very subtle way they often make fun of the people who
 CF>have prejudices against us.

Hello Charlotte,

Yes, I believe that what you say about making fun of the people who
have prejudices against us is true.  I definitely see it in the
Tourette Syndrome comic I mentioned.  Much of his stuff expresses
feelings that I can't even put into words so seeing it in a comic
is a real treat.

I just realized that this whole humor discussion here is moving me
back towards being able to laugh at myself.  It sure beats moping
about things I can't change but I suspect few able bodied people
would understand what I am laughing about and why.

Take it easy....but take it!

Adrienne

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!105!41.15!Adrienne.Barhydt
Internet: Adrienne.Barhydt@p15.f41.n105.z1.fidonet.org

johnm@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (John B. Miezitis) (10/19/90)

Index Number: 11198

Adrienne.Barhydt@p15.f41.n105.z1.fidonet.org (Adrienne Barhydt) writes:

>For me a lot of whether or not this stuff is funny is the context
>in which it is said, i.e. who is saying it to who and why.  Telling
>each other this stuff here in ABLED is great.  I'm not sure how I'd
>react in some general humor echo.

Hi Adrienne

This is well written. I read another posting which suggested that
these jokes would be better in rec.humour. I couldn't rationalise
my feelings at the time and didn't feel like telling these jokes to
the general anonymous public.

Thanks for clearing my mind and lets hear a few more, anyone?

Or how about some amusing incidents...

A friend of mine decided to take her large dog for a walk. She
achieved this by attaching the leash to the handles on the back of
her chair. This worked fine, he was a well behaved dog. Until he
saw a CAT. The cat was at 90deg to the direction of travel so the
cat took off down an alley with a dog in close pursuit and just
behind the dog was one wheelchair minus occupant. My friend was
left sitting in the middle of the road. A kind track driver stopped
his rig in the middle of the road to prevent anyone hitting my
friend (I don't know why he didn't carry her to the footpath) and
went to retrieve her chair.

My friend was terribly embarrased at the time but enjoyed relating
the story over lunch.

	Cheers..

John. B. Miezitis. University of Tasmania Computing Centre
email: johnm@diemen.cc.utas.edu.au | Belgium man Belgium!!!

Julie.Aman@f120.n226.z1.fidonet.org (Julie Aman) (10/26/90)

Index Number: 11330

This is old, *but*

A blind woman and her guide dog walk into a convenience store.  They go to
the center of the store and the woman picks her dog up by the tail and starts
swinging him around over her head.  Alarmed, the clerk asks her, "Can I
help you?"  "No," she replies, "We're just looking."

 * SLMR 1.0 * Wesley must die! (seen on a button)

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!226!120!Julie.Aman
Internet: Julie.Aman@f120.n226.z1.fidonet.org