[misc.handicap] speaqualizer

DG06039@UAFSYSB.BITNET (Donna Gardner) (01/18/90)

Index Number: 6325

[This is from the BLIND-L mailing list on Bitnet.   Bill McGarry]

I have been using a Speaqualizer for more than a year.  I think it is just
great.  I have not run into  any problems using it unless the software contains
graphics.  I cannot use Word Perfect 5.0, but I can use Word Perfect 4.2.  I
use PROCOMM with it and no problems.  If you have any other questions, just
ask.

Donna Gardner

RLAMBER@VAX2.CONCORDIA.CA (Robert M. Lambert) (01/18/90)

Index Number: 6327

[This is from the BLIND-L mailing list on Bitnet.   Bill McGarry]

Thanks, Donna, for your response concerning the Speaqualizer.  I do have
one question----You indicated that Word Perfect 5.0 was not workable with the
speaqualizer although Word Perfect 4.2 is.  Can you elaborate just a bit?
Are there problems with 5.0 outside of the "Preview Printing" option?
If so, what and where do those problems seem to occur?

Thanks again

Bob Lambert

MAINT@UQAM.BITNET (Peter Jones) (01/18/90)

Index Number: 6329

On Tue, 16 Jan 90 14:22:00 EDT ROBERT M. LAMBERT, CONCORDIA U. PSYCH DEPT. said:
>Thanks, Donna, for your response concerning the Speaqualizer.  I do have
>one question----You indicated that Word Perfect 5.0 was not workable with the
>speaqualizer although Word Perfect 4.2 is.  Can you elaborate just a bit?
>Are there problems with 5.0 outside of the "Preview Printing" option?
>If so, what and where do those problems seem to occur?

I wonder if anyone has talked to WordPerfect's technical support about
this. They claim to listen to ideas for improvements in the product.
Maybe they could help with things like hooks for error message routines,
so that error messages would be spoken as well as displayed, for example.
There are 2 toll-free numbers in Canada, (and maybe the same ones in the US):
(800)-541-5096 Word Perfect operations
(800)-541-5097 Word Perfect printing

I urge people to try these, and report results to the list.

Peter Jones     MAINT@UQAM     (514)-987-3542
"Life's too short to try and fill up every minute of it" :-)

DG06039@UAFSYSB.BITNET (Donna Gardner) (01/18/90)

Index Number: 6330

[This is from the BLIND-L mailing list on Bitnet.   Bill McGarry]

I was mistaken about the Speaqualizer not working with Word Perfect
5.0.  If you turn the graphics off then the Speaqualizer will
work.  I have never used Word Perfect 5.0, I went with Word Perfect
4.2.  When I was first looking at Word Perfect, I was told that the
graphics would interfer with my Speaqualizer.  I am sorry if I
misled you.  I had trouble with another word processor because of
the graphics and I did not want to have the same problem with Word
Perfect.

If you have any other questions, just ask.  I will try to find out the right
answer the first time.

Donna Gardner

Bonnie.Snyder@f13.n128.z1.fidonet.org (Bonnie Snyder) (09/25/90)

Index Number: 10623

Hello everyone ... this is the first time I have left a message in
this area although I have been "lurking" here for quite some time.
I am the computer applications instructor at the Colorado School
for the Deaf and the Blind.  I have been wanting to get some decent
speech synthesizers for the three PC's we have in our lab, but as
with most schools of our kind, funds are limited.  What do any of
you know about the functionality of the Speaqualizer, which can be
ordered from the American Printing House for the Blind?  Can it be
used with off-the-shelf software, or can it only be used for
specially adapted programs (as with the Echo on the Apple)?  Does
it provide for only review mode uses, or can it be used
interactively?  Your advice on this matter will be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!128!13!Bonnie.Snyder
Internet: Bonnie.Snyder@f13.n128.z1.fidonet.org

Tandy.Way@f6.n377.z1.fidonet.org (Tandy Way) (10/03/90)

Index Number: 10810

I have no first hand knowledge about the unit you asked about but you
seldom hear anything about it and I have heard some negative reports
about its functions.  seems you would be better off getting a more
popular card or external box and using one of the high demand screen
readers like vocal eyes flipper or artic

... Reality is frequently inaccurate

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!377!6!Tandy.Way
Internet: Tandy.Way@f6.n377.z1.fidonet.org

Bonnie.Snyder@f13.n128.z1.fidonet.org (Bonnie Snyder) (10/09/90)

Index Number: 10969

Well, that's strange.  What colleges in NY carry programs to
prepare teachers of the visually impaired.  Out here in Colorado,
the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley has an extensive
program.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!128!13!Bonnie.Snyder
Internet: Bonnie.Snyder@f13.n128.z1.fidonet.org

Bonnie.Snyder@f13.n128.z1.fidonet.org (Bonnie Snyder) (11/02/90)

Index Number: 11450

I will report back on the Speaqualizers as progress is made.  Have another
project at the moment: learning how to use and teach the functions of the APH
Pocket Braille.  Once I got into the internal speech parameters and adjusted
the speech, I found that form of its output to be very satisfactory.  Have
tried once each to output to braille printer (serial ... Perky) and ink
printer (parallel ... Epson LX-86), but it was a no go on both.  If you or
anyone you know has a hint or two on this, I'd love to hear it.