[misc.handicap] Unhelpful "Assistance"

mcgrew@Eng.Sun.COM (Darin McGrew) (11/05/90)

Index Number: 11493

In article <15286@bunker.UUCP> David.Andrews@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org writes:
>         To give you an example, I was once walking down a street in Chicago,
>full speed, which for me is as fast as any dog user I have walked with.  A
>person proceeded to chase me down the block yelling, "you are going the wrong
>way."

My wife has run into situations like this when she has just given
the command "Straight" (which means, "take me to the curb").
Sometimes a sighted bystander will see the dog turn (because the
curb is to one side or the other), and think that the dog is
doing something wrong.  Unfortunately, this is just about the
worst time to explain the misunderstanding; she's trying to get
out of the street.  Telling someone "No, she's doing what I told
her to do" is about as much as she can get out, but isn't
terribly convincing to someone who's already decided that your
dog turned when you wanted to go straight ahead.

Darin McGrew			mcgrew@Eng.Sun.COM
Affiliation stated for identification purposes only.