[misc.handicap] Sports for disabled......

Mike.Johnson@f610.n260.z1.fidonet.org (Mike Johnson) (11/05/90)

Index Number: 11512

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

What can a c4 quad do with little upper arm strength and a lotta
guts.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!260!610!Mike.Johnson
Internet: Mike.Johnson@f610.n260.z1.fidonet.org

Sheila.Fava@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org (Sheila Fava) (11/06/90)

Index Number: 11545

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

Ahhhh, Mike, you've seen the announcement.  Good!  And guts?  Good also!
 You are interested in sports?  Are you athletic in any way?  Or are you
just gutsy?  Either way, just making yourself known is half the battle.
How much upper body strength do you have?  Power chair or manual?  Do
you work with a Rehab therapist?

Whatever sports you have seen on Television have been adapted as sports
for the disABLED.  Team Football is played adaptively...so is Soccer,
Bowling, Tennis.  There is sailing, racing (both crutch, chair and
ambulatory) -- cross-country as well as dashes, sprints and distance
races.  Darts?  Golf?  Skiing?  I am a disABLED sprint swimmer.
Swimming?

Can the BBS you access request the ABLED-Athlete Conference for you?  I
am the ABLED-Athlete HOST(ess) for FIDOnet.  On NERD'S NOOK the
conference is #72.  You will see announcements of coming competitions
and helpful things like avoiding sports-related injuries,
classification, interval training and sports' organization addresses.
(For instance, I belong to U.S. Cerebral Palsy Athletic Association,
the National Wheelchair Athletic Association and several Canadian Sports
Associations.  (All these Associations are adaptive and two of them
(NWAA and USCPAA) have been sanctioned and recognized by the Olympic
Committee.)

 Tell me what sports you are * interested * in, Mike.  Guts have taken
me to the International Games For the disABLED.......

          ---Sheila.

          ** HOST(ess):  ABLED-Athlete Conference #72 on

                         NERD'S NOOK BBS.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!157!3!Sheila.Fava
Internet: Sheila.Fava@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (11/06/90)

Index Number: 11546

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 MJ> What can a c4 quad do with little upper arm strength
 MJ> and a lotta guts.

        There is bowling, swimming, and powerchair racing.  But,
don't rule out just being a good spectator.  Watching the Eagles,
Flyers, or Sixers from the sidelines is a great experience.

                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

cas@mtdcb.att.com (Cliff Stevens) (11/08/90)

Index Number: 11634

In article <15414@bunker.UUCP>, Mike.Johnson@f610.n260.z1.fidonet.org
(Mike Johnson) writes:
> Index Number: 11512
>
> What can a c4 quad do with little upper arm strength and a lotta
> guts.

Chess!  If too little strength, you can call out your move and your
opponent can make it.  Of course to study you might need to turn
pages, but not to play!

Also, BBS'ing.  (But you seem to know this!)

I can't read Fidonet addresses, but if you are near Middletown NJ,
I can play w you!