[misc.handicap] Systems

Don.Horton@f109.n321.z1.fidonet.org (Don Horton) (11/05/90)

Index Number: 11509

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

I have a total quad friend from my days at Spinal Cord Injury Unit
(he uses an electric wheechair with a joystick) that I would love
to get hooked up with this echo.  Anyway, I am an Amiga owner and
as much as I am tempted to spread the faith, in truth, I know he
would be better served with an inexpensive DOS clone.  Does anyone
have some suggested configurations?  I would guess a 286 AT clone,
hard drive, modem (2400?), telecom software?  Also, any other
gadets specifically designed for easing keyboard input.  Also, I
would like to have this info available for others. (I am going to
have my former lawyer send me referrals from his new clients; let's
connect with everyone we can.) I will try to price and organize any
info I get and repost it on request.  Thanks!  Love, Don (Here's
where I need to invent one of those #%) thingies, huh?)

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!321!109!Don.Horton
Internet: Don.Horton@f109.n321.z1.fidonet.org

cas@mtdcb.att.com (Cliff Stevens) (11/08/90)

Index Number: 11635

In article <15411@bunker.UUCP>, Don.Horton@f109.n321.z1.fidonet.org
(Don Horton) writes:
> Index Number: 11509
> I have a total quad friend from my days at Spinal Cord Injury Unit
> (he uses an electric wheechair with a joystick) that I would love
> to get hooked up with this echo.  Anyway, I am an Amiga owner and
> as much as I am tempted to spread the faith, in truth, I know he
> would be better served with an inexpensive DOS clone.  Does anyone
> have some suggested configurations?  I would guess a 286 AT clone,
> hard drive, modem (2400?), telecom software?

I don't know, but I'd say go IBM for the support,
and my suggestions may not be appropriate for a quad, but
I'd also get a printer, a clock/calendar chip, 640 kb of RAM, a joystick,
some kind of furniture to hold it all, a bookshelf, a filing cabinet?,
a Hayes modem (Hayes has been around so long everything speaks Hayes
escape sequences.  And I'd say an Epson printer for the same reason.)

And why 286?  If you think he'd still be active for a long time, OK, but
for the average user I'd say get a cheaper CPU.  Same w the modem, I can't
even read 1200, much less 2400!
Militant Handicapped Survivor!
	Cliff Stevens	MT1E228  att!cbnewsj!ncas  (908)671-7292