[net.space] Aliens

KFL@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU ("Keith F. Lynch") (03/13/86)

    From: brahms!desj@ucbvax.berkeley.edu  (David desJardins)

    Jong@HIS-BILLERICA-MULTICS.ARPA writes:
    >... Most likely, we would encounter an unimaginably more advanced
    >civilization.

       I see this kind of statement a lot, and it really seems pretty
    silly to me.

  Our civilization is very new compared to the lifetime of Earth.  A
species from a planet where life started a few percent sooner or
evolved a few percent faster might have invented computers and
starships while dinosaurs were the most advanced thing on Earth.
  Where would such a civilzation be today?
  Lets say we were to pick up a radio signal from aliens at some
distant star.  Assuming the average civilization capable of sending
such a signal lasts for the lifetime of their star, which is around
ten to the tenth years, what are the chances that we will have caught
them within a century of the beginning of that civilization?
  If the average civilization lasts ten to the tenth years and
broadcasts a message from the time they are first able to build
equipment to do so (equivalent to 1940s Earth technology) until their
sun goes nova after ten to the tenth years, then the probabilty that a
signal is from some civilzation less than or equally advanced as ours
is only 4 in a billion.
  If we were to go exploring, the odds are somewhat better, since we
can contact a stone age culture by going there, but not by listening
to the radio.  But, assuming mankind is one million years old, and
that that is a typical pre-technical duration for a species, chances
of finding such a stone age culture rather than a culture far in
advance of ours is still only one in ten thousand.
  It is quite mind boggling to me.  I think about all the technical
progress that has been made in the last hundred years, or even in the
last ten years, and try to project ahead.  I can think of all sorts of
things that might exist in a century, but I really can't imagine what
might be around in a thousand years, any more than the average person
of the year 1000 could have imagined ARPAnet or even USEnet.
  Of course it is possible that there are no other technical
civilizations, or that they are but they always blow themselves up
within a century, or that there is no other life, or that they are
maintaining 'radio silence', or that...   Who can say?  I hope I live
to find out.
								...Keith

dietz@SLB-DOLL.CSNET (Paul Dietz) (03/14/86)

>  Our civilization is very new compared to the lifetime of Earth.  A
>species from a planet where life started a few percent sooner or
>evolved a few percent faster might have invented computers and
>starships while dinosaurs were the most advanced thing on Earth.
>  Where would such a civilzation be today?

Right here, if they evolved in or near our galaxy and colonized.
I suspect the only ET's we'll ever detect by radio will be
extragalactic, and they will have colonized multiple galaxies.

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (03/15/86)

In article <[MC.LCS.MIT.EDU].848884.860312.KFL> KFL@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU ("Keith F. Lynch") writes:
>  It is quite mind boggling to me.  I think about all the technical
>progress that has been made in the last hundred years, or even in the
>last ten years, and try to project ahead.  I can think of all sorts of
>things that might exist in a century, but I really can't imagine what
>might be around in a thousand years, any more than the average person
>of the year 1000 could have imagined ARPAnet or even USEnet.
>  Of course it is possible that there are no other technical
>civilizations, or that they are but they always blow themselves up
>within a century, or that there is no other life, or that they are
>maintaining 'radio silence', or that...   Who can say?  I hope I live
>to find out.

   Yes.  This is my point.  Not only is it possible, but we have no way
to estimate the probability.  So it seems illogical to "expect" anything.
(Although I admit that I "expect" that there is no other intelligent life
in this universe, in a rare (for me :-)) defiance of logic).

   -- David desJardins

KFL@AI.AI.MIT.EDU ("Keith F. Lynch") (03/29/86)

    From: hplabs!qantel!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020@ucbvax.berkeley.edu  (Tom Keller)

       Presumably, either they would have detected our emissions, and started
    on an exploratory expedition sometime in the past 100 years or so, or we
    would be detecting their emissions.

  Not necessarily.  They may not use the radio spectrum at all, either
because they have found a different spectrum or because they use
fiberoptics or cables for communications.  They may use only tight
beams for interplanetary communications.  Or they may use light or
some other part of the EM spectrum.
  Even if they generate as much radio as Earth, we could not detect
that if they were more than ten or twenty light years away, unless
they were deliberately aiming a strong signal in our direction.
  Why would they come exploring if they knew of us?  Maybe they aren't
interested.  Or maybe they ARE closely observing us without announcing
themselves.  Or maybe they are on their way and will land next week.
  I don't think any of us are competent to say what their technology
would be capable of, any more than Aristotle could have said anything
reasonable about what computers or the Space Shuttle can do today.
Neither can we do more than guess at their motivations, i.e. whether
they would come here at once if they knew of us.
								...Keith