[misc.handicap] TDD bulletin boards?

Doug.Boone@p0.f25.n119.z1.fidonet.org (Doug Boone) (09/27/90)

Index Number: 10673

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

In exploring the possibility of making Opus work with a TDD modem, I
found this list of bulletin boards that will accept a TDD connection.
You might want to give one of these numbers a try to see if it really
works and if so, post it someplace for users who have TDDs but not
computers and ASCII modems.  I'd be very interested in hearing more on
the subject.

  MAR 1990 (Update)

  Now you can call for news any time with your TDD or computer.

  30 Bulletin Boards using the PHONE-TTY CM-4 modem in operation :
  (accepting either TDD/BAUDOT 45 baud or ASCII 110-300 baud)

  If any of these BBS are not in operation, please let us know.

  Phoenix,     AZ       602-275-7320  VCD PC/DAN           (TDDN)
  Tucson,      AZ       602-620-1889  Tucson DAN           (TDDN)
  Vancouver,   BC       604-738-4644  Western Inst.-PC/DAN (TDDN)
  Los Angeles, CA       213-667-9362  KCET-PBS TV/TDD      (TDDN)
  Los Angeles, CA       213-838-9537  CHABAD Drug Rehab Ctr(TDDN)
  Hollywood,   CA       818-902-9840  Eye Festival DAN     (TDDM) New number
  Washington,  DC       202-966-6095  CAPCOM (6 PM-8 AM)   (TDDN)
  Washington,  DC       202-472-5265  National Park Service(TDDN)
  Washington,  DC       800-877-8845  Federal Relay Service(TDDM)
  Washington,  DC       202-708-9320  General Service Adm. (TDDM)
  Atlanta,     GA       404-659-3323  GA PC/DAN            (TDDN)
  Chicago,     IL       312-508-5072  Chicago DAN          (TDDN)
  Olathe,      KS       913-780-6583  MO-KS DAN            c
  Olathe,      KS       913-677-0127  Olathe PC/DAN        c
  Raleigh,     NC       919-831-6579  Computer Clinic      cc
  Silver Spgs, MD       301-593-7033  HEX-AMRAD            c
  Rockville,   MD       301-251-1990  TEDI INFO LINE       (TDDM)
  Springfield, MO       417-869-2879  Ozarks Dial-A-News   (TDDN)
  Hackensack,  NJ       201-489-3323  PHONE-TTY PC/DAN     (TDDMO)
  Marlton,     NJ       609-985-3323  South Jersey PC/DAN  (TDDMO)
  Trenton,     NJ       609-633-9831  NJ BBNews  5pm-8 AM  (TDDN)
  Plainsboro,  NJ       800-765-4TDD  Merrill Lynch PC/DAN (TDDMO)
  Flemington,  NJ       201-766-1245  Profiles Listing     (TDDN)
  Brooklyn,    NY       718-624-5817  Catholic Deaf Svc    (TDDN)
  Rochester,   NY       716-334-8042  Rochester Telecom    c
  White Plains,NY       coming soon   Dollar Dry Dock Bank (TDDM)
  Houston,     TX       713-475-1064  Walt's Corner        (TDDN)
  Great Falls, VA       703-759-2488  TEDI PC/DAN          (TDDM)
  Cheyenne,    WY       307-634-6043  Cheyenne BBS         c

  c      Custom software by third party
  cc     3rd party software-45 to 2400 baud
  TDDN   Remote Dial-A-News software
  TDDM   Remote Multi-Line DAN software
  TDDMO  TDDM with Query/Order Line

  For a free brochure about PHONE-TTY PC/TDD modems and various
  software, contact Lee Brody at:

     PHONE-TTY Incorporated
     202 Lexington Ave
     Hackensack, New Jersey  07601

     201-489-7889  Voice
     201-489-7890  PTTY
     201-489-7891  FAX

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!119!25.0!Doug.Boone
Internet: Doug.Boone@p0.f25.n119.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (10/02/90)

Index Number: 10700

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Thanks for providing this TDD listing for us, Doug.  However, I can't
see where many TDD users would call LD since they are only 300 bps.
I remember when I first called the HEX BBS when I got my first TDD
and my phone bill was a bit high... Also, it's a bit hard to keep
up unless one has a 24-26 line monitor instead of a 1 line display
screen, even though a printer may be in use, it's still hard to
keep up

I would love to see more software TDD compatible (hint hint hint).
(grin)  It would be nice if TDD users could call the local BBS's

in their area and join us in some of the echoes

I don't mean to sound negative but so many of those with hearing
impairments have watched my BBS and they've complained about the
speed being too fast for them to keep up with.  I've tried to explain
that once one gets used to a BBS, they learn to read FAST!!!

Comments from anyone else????

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu (Dick Barth) (10/03/90)

Index Number: 10787

 In Digest #1529, Ann Stalnaker writes:

    Thanks for providing this TDD listing for us, Doug.  However, I can't
    see where many TDD users would call LD since they are only 300 bps.
    I remember when I first called the HEX BBS when I got my first TDD
    and my phone bill was a bit high... Also, it's a bit hard to keep
    up unless one has a 24-26 line monitor instead of a 1 line display
    screen, even though a printer may be in use, it's still hard to
    keep up

 Actually, it's worse than that. TDDs operate at 45.5 baud, not 300. Those
 that run at 300 are actually using ASCII mode and are emulating a computer
 terminal. Most TDDs, particularly the older and less expensive models, can't
 do that. It's true that many phone companies give TDD users a discount on
 long distance calls, but it's still painfully slow and can get expensive
 even with the discount.

    I would love to see more software TDD compatible (hint hint hint).
    (grin)  It would be nice if TDD users could call the local BBS's
    in their area and join us in some of the echoes

 It's not just software, Ann. A TDD (as opposed to an ASCII machine)
 does not use a standard ASCII modem. It needs a special TDD modem of
 where some are available comercially. They can also be home-brewed by
 those who are technically inclined; the HEX ran for years on a modified
 Bell-103 type of ASCII modem. The TDD modems on the market won't handle
 ASCII at rates above 300, so if you want to handle both TDD and a normal
 (i.e. 1200/2400/whatever to support downloading) you need two phone lines.
 HEX has that, but a lot of boards don't.

    I don't mean to sound negative but so many of those with hearing
    impairments have watched my BBS and they've complained about the
    speed being too fast for them to keep up with.  I've tried to explain
    that once one gets used to a BBS, they learn to read FAST!!!

 Reading fast (and 300 isn't really that fast for most people with normal
 vision - it's only 300 words per minute) isn't difficult with a CRT-type
 screen. Using a standard 24x80 many people can read 1200 baud with no trouble-
 that's only 1200 wpm. The problem of reading a one=line display at 300 baud
 is compounded by the fact that some TDD makers bollix up the design of their
 equipment. One well-known brand (which shall remain nameless) mis-translates
 an ASCII null into a backspace character. If your BBS sends them a null (as
 is often required for slow, pechanical printers) the TDD-as-ASCII erases the
 last few characters on the line before you can read them. Note that in Baudot
 code (which is what TDDs use, not ASCII) a null is correctly translated as a
 backspace in a TDD. This is standard, because the Baudot code doesn't have a
 real backspace. That should obviously not be done in ASCII mode though.

    Comments from anyone else????

 You got 'em.

-----------------------------
Richard Barth, W3HWN,  rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu
Handicapped Educational Exchange... (301) 593-7033 (TDD & 300 baud ASCII)
                                    (301) 593-7357 (300/1200 baud, 8N1)

mbeck@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Mark Becker) (10/04/90)

Index Number: 10871

In article <14620@bunker.UUCP> rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu (Dick Barth) writes:
>Index Number: 10787
>
> One well-known brand (which shall remain nameless) mis-translates
> an ASCII null into a backspace character.

Dick, I thought this was a *feature* of the non-mechanical TDD's.
Don't all the electronic ones do this?

If not.. yeesh.. oh well.  The BBS software I modified, as far as I
know, doesn't output that code at all when dealing with TDD/Baudot
callers.

Regards,
Mark Becker
mbeck@ai.mit.edu

rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu (Dick Barth) (10/09/90)

Index Number: 10947

Mark Becker (mbeck@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu) writes:
   In article <14620@bunker.UUCP> rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu (Dick Barth) writes:
   >Index Number: 10787
   >
   > One well-known brand (which shall remain nameless) mis-translates
   > an ASCII null into a backspace character.

   Dick, I thought this was a *feature* of the non-mechanical TDD's.
   Don't all the electronic ones do this?

Lord, I hope not. It's WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

   If not.. yeesh.. oh well.  The BBS software I modified, as far as I
   know, doesn't output that code at all when dealing with TDD/Baudot
   callers.

   Regards,
   Mark Becker
   mbeck@ai.mit.edu

Mine doesn't output nulls either in Baudot mode. It accepts Baudot nulls
from TDD callers and treats them as a backspace, but of course you don't
echo the incoming from a TDD caller and so a null is never SENT in Baudot.

All this raises the question of what do you do when you actually want to
send a null to a TDD. They're really needed when talking to a mechanical
teleprinter, since those things can't actually do a CR/LF in the space of
two character times. I remember from my Signal Corps days that when
punching tape for one of those clunkers you had to puch two CRs, a LF
and a couple of LETTERS characters to kill time while the carriage slid
back.

What I use for a NULL is actually an upshift or a downshift, depending
on what case the TDD is actually in at the moment. It kills time and
changes nothing, so it serves the purpose of a null very well.

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (10/10/90)

Index Number: 11022

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 > To: rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu (Dick Barth)

Thanks for the info, Dick.  For some reason or another, I always
thought you had to have special software in addition to the TDD modem.
Guess I was wrong...

However, I just can't see paying the cost of a TDD modem so one can
use it on a BBS along with a second line.  I feel that in time TDDs
will be obsolete and laptops used in their place.  I'm looking forward
to seeing this because I'll take any CPU over any of my TDDs.  I've
reached a point to where I detest using my TDD as it seems such a
hassle having to use a third party to relay messages back and forth.
I guess you can say I'm a bit spoiled as I sure enjoy the speed of
my 2400 bps modem (hoping for a faster one soon) along with a full
screen monitor along with color.

I just see so many possibilities with a CPU over a TDD and want to
show other HI folks who've never used one how much nicer it is.
Technology has improved so much and will continue to improve, so
who knows what the future may bring us all.

Ha, ha - yep, I got the comments!  Thanks and I know I tend to be
a bit opinionated...but that's ME!  (grin)

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu (Dick Barth) (10/13/90)

Index Number: 11084

 In Digest #1561, Ann Stalnaker writes:

     > To: rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu (Dick Barth)

    Thanks for the info, Dick.  For some reason or another, I always
    thought you had to have special software in addition to the TDD modem.
    Guess I was wrong...

 One way or another, you have to convert the computer's ASCII to Baudot.
 If you use a TDD modem that does the conversion internally, then you
 can use some of the common communications packages like Qmodem, Telix,
 Procomm, et. If you use a TDD modem that doesn't convert code, then you
 need special software.

    However, I just can't see paying the cost of a TDD modem so one can
    use it on a BBS along with a second line.  I feel that in time TDDs
    will be obsolete and laptops used in their place.  I'm looking forward
    to seeing this because I'll take any CPU over any of my TDDs.  I've
    reached a point to where I detest using my TDD as it seems such a
    hassle having to use a third party to relay messages back and forth.
    I guess you can say I'm a bit spoiled as I sure enjoy the speed of
    my 2400 bps modem (hoping for a faster one soon) along with a full
    screen monitor along with color.

 It doesn't matter whether people are deaf or hearing, some of them like
 computers and take easily to them, and some can't stand the things. If
 I were given a choice (as we all are, of course) I'd much prefer to use
 a computer. Some people prefer TDDs for a variety of reasons. For one,
 there are a lot of TDDs out there and if you want to talk to a deaf
 person, the TDD may be the only way to get hold of him. Second is the
 higher cost of a computer or ASCII-compatible TDD; you can get an el
 cheapo Baudot-only TDD for about $160. Computers are more, as are the
 TDDs that can use ASCII. Also there's the "deaf pride" aspect. TDDs
 were invented by a deaf man for use by the deaf and they're part of
 the "deaf communications network". There's a strong emotional pull
 toward continued use of the things for some people. I agree completely
 that if every TDD were replaced tomorrow by a computer, the world would
 be better off. But it's not going to happen tomorrow, nor any time soon,
 I suspect.

    I just see so many possibilities with a CPU over a TDD and want to
    show other HI folks who've never used one how much nicer it is.
    Technology has improved so much and will continue to improve, so
    who knows what the future may bring us all.

    Ha, ha - yep, I got the comments!  Thanks and I know I tend to be
    a bit opinionated...but that's ME!  (grin)

 Aren't we all?     :-)

-----------------------------
Richard Barth, W3HWN,  rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu
Handicapped Educational Exchange... (301) 593-7033 (TDD & 300 baud ASCII)
                                    (301) 593-7357 (300/1200 baud, 8N1)

Jack.O'keeffe@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Jack O'keeffe) (10/18/90)

Index Number: 11178

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

To: rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu (Dick Barth)

 DB>  There's a strong emotional pull toward continued use
 DB>  of the things for some people. I agree completely that if
 DB>  every TDD were replaced tomorrow by a computer, the world
 DB>  would be better off. But it's not going to happen tomorrow,
 DB>  nor any time soon, I suspect.

Dick, as a reformed ex-user of an ASR33 TTY I agree with what you
say.  But I never formed an emotional attachment to the TTY or to
the TDD.  I think there is a new force in operation that will make
the Baudot TDD disappear somewhat sooner than you anticipate. That
is the advent of more statewide relays, and the ADA mandate for a
nationwide relay by July 26, 1993.

Our Pennsylvania relay, operated by AT&T, went online just last
month.  With it, only the non-hearing person needs a TDD display.
And anyone who is oral can use the VCO feature and avoid all that
keying.  This means that there will be a shrinking market for the
traditional TDD, and possibly a developing market for a display
only TDD (sans keyboard).

With a smaller market, the price of TDDs will escalate while the
price of low-end PCs will continue to decline.  As you say, there
are a lot of TDDs out there.  But with the relays, you don't need
one to call a deaf person.  And those old 33TTYs managed to fade
away pretty quickly once something better came along.

... Jack.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Jack.O'keeffe
Internet: Jack.O'keeffe@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org

rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu (Dick Barth) (10/24/90)

Index Number: 11243

Jack.O'keeffe@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Jack O'keeffe) writes:

   To: rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu (Dick Barth)

    DB>  There's a strong emotional pull toward continued use
    DB>  of the things for some people. I agree completely that if
    DB>  every TDD were replaced tomorrow by a computer, the world
    DB>  would be better off. But it's not going to happen tomorrow,
    DB>  nor any time soon, I suspect.

   Dick, as a reformed ex-user of an ASR33 TTY I agree with what you
   say.  But I never formed an emotional attachment to the TTY or to
   the TDD.  I think there is a new force in operation that will make
   the Baudot TDD disappear somewhat sooner than you anticipate. That
   is the advent of more statewide relays, and the ADA mandate for a
   nationwide relay by July 26, 1993.

I'm not saying that TTY is an emotional thing to everybody who uses it. There
are a lot of "modern" TTY users who much prefer to type on a computer, and
who use a TTY only because that's the only thing their friends can
communicate with.

On the other hand, I've seen enough references to the "Deaf Communications
Network" and how it was developed by a deaf man for the deaf people to use
and ... and ... and ...    that it's clear to me that *some* people
regard the TTY as more than a hunk of technology. It's part of a culture.
And *they're* gonna be the last to turn in their Baudot boxes.

   Our Pennsylvania relay, operated by AT&T, went online just last
   month.  With it, only the non-hearing person needs a TDD display.
   And anyone who is oral can use the VCO feature and avoid all that
   keying.  This means that there will be a shrinking market for the
   traditional TDD, and possibly a developing market for a display
   only TDD (sans keyboard).

Not living in Pennsylvania I've had no experience with the Penna. relay
system.  Are you saying that it accepts ASCII calls as well as TTY?  If
not, I don't see the market for TDDs disappearing.  The deaf person is
going to need one to receive Baudot from the relay, even if he can speak.

   With a smaller market, the price of TDDs will escalate while the
   price of low-end PCs will continue to decline.  As you say, there
   are a lot of TDDs out there.  But with the relays, you don't need
   one to call a deaf person.  And those old 33TTYs managed to fade
   away pretty quickly once something better came along.

You're right - the price of a low-end PC is already at or below the price
of some high-end TDDs, so there's no economic benefit in buying an ASCII-
capable TDD if you only need ASCII.  One of these years Baudot and the
Weitbrecht modem will be museum pieces, looked at as a part of history.
The only question is when.

Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Stu Turk) (10/27/90)

Index Number: 11348

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 DB>  Not living in Pennsylvania I've had no experience with the Penna.
 DB>  relay
 DB>  system.  Are you saying that it accepts ASCII calls as well as
 DB>  TTY?  If
 DB>  not, I don't see the market for TDDs disappearing.  The deaf
 DB>  person is
 DB>  going to need one to receive Baudot from the relay, even if he
 DB>  can speak.
    =

PA's Relay can accept incoming calls from ASCII computers, ASCII
TDD's, and Baudot TDD's.  The equipment they are using can
automatically determine if the incoming call is ASCII or Baudot.
They have a seperate phone number for 1200 baud ASCII also.

If I want to make a call through the Relay, I use my computer.  But
for now I need to answer incoming calls with my (Baudot only) TDD.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Stu.Turk
Internet: Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org

James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org (James Womack) (10/31/90)

Index Number: 11438

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

With a lot of laptops being priced about the same as TDD's ASCII or
otherwise, itis absurd for TTY's to stillbe around. Put in a modem
on these laptops and you have

My message got warped on the text editor. I will log off and come back
later to finish this.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!14!James.Womack
Internet: James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (10/31/90)

Index Number: 11439

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 >     PA's Relay can accept incoming calls from ASCII computers,
 > ASCII TDD's, and Baudot TDD's.  The equipment they are
 > using can automatically determine if the incoming call
 > is ASCII or Baudot.  They have a seperate phone number for
 > 1200 baud ASCII also.
 >     If I want to make a call through the Relay, I use my
 > computer.  But for now I need to answer incoming calls
 > with my (Baudot only) TDD.

Stu, have you tried the Voice Bridge yet?  This is really my favorite
method with the Relay Service.  And you'd be surprised at the reaction
of your friends, relatives, etc. when they hear you talking.  Mine
love it!  Of course, my immediate family has a TDD or two, so we
don't use the relay.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Stu Turk) (11/05/90)

Index Number: 11506

Ann Stalnaker of 1:385/14 wrote to Stu Turk:

 AS>  Stu, have you tried the Voice Bridge yet?  This is really my
 AS>  favorite method with the Relay Service.  And you'd be surprised
 AS>  at the reaction of your friends, relatives, etc. when they hear

If I'm not mistaken, in order to use the VoiceBridge you need a TDD
that direct connects so the TDD can be connected while you are
holding the phone receiver.  Or else you need a modem that allows
both the modem and phone to be connected at the same time.  I can't
do that just yet.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Stu.Turk
Internet: Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Eric.Bohlman@f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org (Eric Bohlman) (11/08/90)

Index Number: 11617

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 >     If I'm not mistaken, in order to use the VoiceBridge
 > you need a TDD that direct connects so the TDD can be connected
 > while you are holding the phone receiver.  Or else you
 > need a modem that allows both the modem and phone to be
 > connected at the same time.  I can't do that just yet.

How about just using a second phone (can be a real cheapie) and a Y-adapter?
Plug both the phone that goes into the TDD's cups and the second "voice"
phone into the adapter, the adapter into the line and then do your
speaking through the second phone.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!115!778!Eric.Bohlman
Internet: Eric.Bohlman@f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org

James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org (James Womack) (11/08/90)

Index Number: 11618

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

The good people at IBM have just loaned me the entire hardware and
software for their PhoneCommunicator. I have yet to install it as i
am busy.

It is supposed to allow me to make and receive calls with hearies without
use of a relay service. It will convert their messages on my printed
screen and change mine to voice transmissions on their phone. Once
I get it up and running (if it will work with my Tandy 1000TX), I will
keep you all posted on it.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!14!James.Womack
Internet: James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org

James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org (James Womack) (11/08/90)

Index Number: 11621

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Arizona provies free tdds to HI and SI persons.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!14!James.Womack
Internet: James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (11/08/90)

Index Number: 11622

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

James, most of us who were in Little Rock for the SHHH convention
were given a demo of the PhoneCommunicator.  To be honest with you,
I was not very impressed with the demo.  It is very slow and very
time-consuming in all you have to do.  Perhaps there have been some
improvements since June and you might be able to share them with
us.

I find that using a CPU is far the best communication mode for us
but unfortunately it's not for everyone.  I prefer using the VoiceBridge
when using the TDD with the Relay Service, however, most of my family
and friends either own a TDD or CPU, so I don't have to depend on
the Relay Service that often.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (11/08/90)

Index Number: 11624

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

I believe when the ADA goes into effect, TDDs will be provided for
ALL HI and SI individuals nationwide.  Of course, all will pay the
surcharge tax on phone bills to provide this - even with the ADA
as most of the funding is used for our relay services.

Ultra-Tech and Krown Research are the two main TDD manufacturers
who are offering special rates in bulk orders of the TDDs for the
states.

I still think a CPU laptop would be the most beneficial to us in
time...

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

Warren.King@p0.f429.n275.z1.fidonet.org (Warren King) (11/08/90)

Index Number: 11627

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

> I believe when the ADA goes into effect, TDDs will be provided for ALL
> HI and SI individuals nationwide.  Of course, all will pay the
> surcharge tax on phone bills to provide this - even with the ADA as
> most of the funding is used for our relay services.

Ann,
    Why would all HI and SI people be provided with TDDs?  I can
understand that the service must be provided, but the equipment?  The
phone companies do not provide telephones to its customers so why
should they have to provide TDDs?  This would be a case of reverse
discrimination!
         -Warren-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!275!429.0!Warren.King
Internet: Warren.King@p0.f429.n275.z1.fidonet.org

James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org (James Womack) (11/08/90)

Index Number: 11630

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

I hope you are wrong, Ann. I think laptop computers offer greatr versality
as a communication tool. I hope it is the laptop that is distributed
to all HI and SI persons-with a modem in it , of course. TDD's are
too limited in this day and age.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!14!James.Womack
Internet: James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org

cas@mtdcb.att.com (Cliff Stevens) (11/09/90)

Index Number: 11648

In article <15523@bunker.UUCP>, James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org
(James Womack) writes:
> Index Number: 11618
>

> The good people at IBM have just loaned me the entire hardware and
> software for their PhoneCommunicator. I have yet to install it as i
> am busy.
>
> It is supposed to allow me to make and receive calls with hearies without
> use of a relay service. It will convert their messages on my printed
> screen and change mine to voice transmissions on their phone. Once
> I get it up and running (if it will work with my Tandy 1000TX), I will
> keep you all posted on it.

If this is true, I'm *REALLY* *REALLY* *REALLY* *REALLY* *REALLY*
amazed!  What this implies is real speech to text! Without any
training, over a wide variety of audible conditions, pretty
reliably, and not on a Cray XMP!  (In fact, I am kinda amused at
the idea of doing anything like this on a Tandy! :-) I understand
that this may be a Beta trial, but even so, it is still miles ahead
of what I thought was state of the art!  I thought speech to text
was still a "Current Research Topic".

I cannot emphasize how great a jump this implies!  *NO* more hand
operated switches!  Just, "Light on!", or "Light off!", or
"Warmer!", or "Colder!", or "Call Uncle Joe!" (I know this exists,
but it takes training, and is not perfect.), or "Find the
intersection of 6x + 5y = 12 and y = x**2." And if someone can
talk, even if he's a quad, w the right HW he'll own the world!

I don't know about all of you, but I'm going to save this article
because (If true!) we have just entered a new age!

Militant Handicapped Survivor!
	Cliff Stevens	MT1E228  att!cbnewsj!ncas  (908)671-7292