[misc.handicap] Communication Aid for impaired persons

char@b11.ingr.com (Orrin Char) (11/05/90)

Index Number: 11490

A couple of engineers and I are working in our spare time
with an ALS patient who suffers from a degradation of her
muscular control.  We are attempting to develop a more
effective means of communication.

At this point, she is only capable of pushing a single
button to communicate.  Using an off-the-shelf program
on a home computer, she patiently waits for letters of
the alphabet to appear on the screen until she sees the
letter that she would like to type.  By pressing her button,
she selects that letter, and restarts the letter selection
process.

It takes several minutes to type out a short sentence, and
it is very frustrating to correct mistakes since
that all-important button push is fairly strenuous for her.

At this point, she is unable to use her tongue or eyes
for sending information, but she can hear and see
effectively.  While her body is impaired, her mind is
completely healthy.  We have considered using some kind
of brain wave biofeedback mechanism.

Has anyone worked with or heard of a better means of
communicating for someone with her condition?

Is there software or hardware already available that
we can build on?

We are capable of designing some fairly sophisticated
hardware and software.  Are there any research concepts
that someone might like to work with us to implement?
As I had stated previously, we are working in our
spare time (free labor!).

Thanks in advance for any help,
--
Orrin Char
Senior System Engineer

Standard Disclaimer:  The opinions stated above are mine ...

cas@mtdcb.att.com (Cliff Stevens) (11/08/90)

Index Number: 11636

This reminds me of a talk I attended at the NJHIA's annual convention,
It was on Locked In Syndrome.  And what that is is some kind of stroke
(Or other brain injury.) that leaves the person w *NO* voluntary movement,
but a fully functional brain!  (Scary as h*ll!)
------------
Militant Handicapped Survivor!
	Cliff Stevens	MT1E228  att!cbnewsj!ncas  (908)671-7292

cas@mtdcb.att.com (Cliff Stevens) (11/08/90)

Index Number: 11637

In article <15392@bunker.UUCP>, char@b11.ingr.com (Orrin Char) writes:
> Index Number: 11490
> A couple of engineers and I are working in our spare time
> with an ALS patient who suffers from a degradation of her
> muscular control.  We are attempting to develop a more
> effective means of communication.

Now, don't make fun of me, I'm pretty sure this has been ruled out,
but only pretty sure!  W training a human can control his brain
waves to a (very) limited extent, so could we hook that *PERSON W ALS*
(Is she really that patient?) to an EEG and w some pretty sophisticated
DSP do some rudimentary control?  At least as much as a thumbswitch?

But I think it would prolly take a Cray-XMP to do the DSP, a couple Gigabyte
Winnies to hold the SW, and a room full of EEG HW.  But I could be wrong!
Maybe it just needs a couple Op-Amps and an 8051.

Now, don't get too excited, I've never done any DSP, and I know nothing
about BioMedical Engineering (Obviously, right!), but maybe somebody should
look?
------------
Militant Handicapped Survivor!
	Cliff Stevens	MT1E228  att!cbnewsj!ncas  (908)671-7292

rudy@mtqua.att.com (Avram R Vener) (11/09/90)

Index Number: 11650

In article <15392@bunker.UUCP>, char@b11.ingr.com (Orrin Char) writes:
> Index Number: 11490
>
> A couple of engineers and I are working in our spare time
> with an ALS patient who suffers from a degradation of her
> muscular control.  We are attempting to develop a more
> effective means of communication.

[remainder of quote deleted]

Does this eliminate morse code?  Is there any muscle she can contract
in a controlled pattern?  Eyelids?  Jaw?

Rudy Vener  AT&T BTL   uucp: att!mtqua!rudy

34AEJ7D@CMUVM.BITNET (Bill Gorman) (11/16/90)

Index Number: 11718

>In article <15392@bunker.UUCP>, char@b11.ingr.com (Orrin Char) writes:
>> Index Number: 11490
>> A couple of engineers and I are working in our spare time
>> with an ALS patient who suffers from a degradation of her
>> muscular control.  We are attempting to develop a more
>
>Now, don't make fun of me, I'm pretty sure this has been ruled out,
>but only pretty sure!  W training a human can control his brain
>waves to a (very) limited extent, so could we hook that *PERSON W ALS*
>(Is she really that patient?) to an EEG and w some pretty sophisticated
>DSP do some rudimentary control?  At least as much as a thumbswitch?

I think something like this is possible, for several reasons.

     1.   I have worked with biofeedback and alpha-wave monitors
          fairly extensively. The circuitry for detecting the alpha
          brain waves is fairly simple, not too expensive and provides
          a sharp detection cutoff point between a subject who is
          producing alpha waves and one who is not. One disadvantage: it
          requires a training period, and practice, to be able to control
          alpha wave generation in one's mind.

     2.   I have seen references to military experiments aimed at
          achieving this same goal in a light, portable helmet. The
          purpose: enhanced control of on-board systems/weapons in
          fighter aircraft.

     3.   Any of you who may be familiar with the term "cyberspace" will
          probably recognize this as precisely the sort of application
          envisaged there - and which is already in operation in
          some very limited ways/environments.