[misc.handicap] X-windows for Partially sighted people

n.sowatsky@cs.ucl.ac.uk (Nathan Sowatskey) (11/16/90)

Index Number: 11719

Hi,

I am working on a X-Windows interface for partially sighted people.

If you have, or anyone you know has, any feelings about what such a
product should offer then please send a message to me at the following
address:

nsowatsk.cs.uc.ac.uk

Which is me at University College in London, UK.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Nathan Sowatskey

wtm@bunker.uucp (Bill McGarry) (11/16/90)

Index Number: 11720

n.sowatsky@cs.ucl.ac.uk (Nathan Sowatskey) writes:
> I am working on a X-Windows interface for partially sighted people.
>
> If you have, or anyone you know has, any feelings about what such a
> product should offer then please send a message to me at the following
> address:

I believe that teree@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Theresa Anne Getzler) was
in the process of writing a research paper, part of which was
about X-windows for the visually impaired.

Also for your information, here is a copy of article # 5913 from December
of 1989, written by: weber@ifi.informatik.uni-stuttgart.dbp.de
(Gerhard Weber) of IfI, Univ. Stuttgart, W-Germany.

[Start of quoted article]
I have just recently subscribed to misc.handicap. I have read a few
messages about an X-window server and that the technology is not
available. This message is to make clear, that the technology is
already available.

Access to window and mouse-based user-interfaces is part of the
research, that is done here at the University of Stuttgart, Germany
in our research group "Applied computer science for the Blind".

Access to graphics has been successfully made with our large
braille display (more than 7000 pins), the pin-matrix device. This
is, in more usual terms, simply a raster display. There will be
very soon one in London, Ontario.

The replacement for a mouse are the fingers. We use a sensor system
that monitors the position of the fingers. Then a whole suite of
tools has been made to describe finger movements and express the
corresponding actions for a user-interface. We have made a drawing
program, running on a SUN 3/60, that allows the blind user to draw
with the fingers and to express gestures in order to avoid moving
the hands to a keyboard. Communication is done soley by moving the
fingers on the display while reading or pointing.

Our current plans are directed towards a more cheaper technology,
but with the same capabilities. I found the discussion about X and
PM very encouraging.  Some people that provide funds still don't
think that this work needs to be supported.

Gerhard Weber                      weber@ifi.informatik.uni-stuttgart.dbp.de
Universitaet Stuttgart
Insitut fuer Informatik            Tel.: +49 (711) 121-1404
Azenbergstr. 12                    Fax:  +49 (711) 121-1424
D-7000 Stuttgart 1

[end of quoted article]