[misc.handicap] Brailler Repair

Tandy.Way@f6.n377.z1.fidonet.org (Tandy Way) (10/26/90)

Index Number: 11343

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

I have owned a perkins brailler for 20 years with no maintainance and
it needed going over. I also wanted that new improved roller with the
big rubber tyres for improved paper gripping and the new knobs for
the ends.  I have had bad service from how press at the work sight
and heard horror stories about other places but I sent mine to a guy
in california named rapeir right mister warren right. and he does a
magnificent job. the man takes his time and tears the machine down
fully and fixes everything right the first time. it was gone less
than a week.  he doesn't come cheap but quality service doesn't come
cheap. he guarantees his work. if anyone needs his services and
willie doesn't object calling it a commercial I will post his name
address and phone here. if willie objects just send me netmail to
377/6 and will fill you in. I am delighted with the renewed perkins
it will go another twenty years now.

... ERROR 1701 - Your hard drive croaked!!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!377!6!Tandy.Way
Internet: Tandy.Way@f6.n377.z1.fidonet.org

Walter.Siren@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Walter Siren) (10/31/90)

Index Number: 11397

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 TW> I have owned a perkins brailler for 20 years with no maintainance and
 TW> it needed going over. I also wanted that new improved roller with the
 TW> big rubber tyres for improved paper gripping and the new knobs

     Don't care about the knobs, but I sure would like to have the new roller.

 TW> the ends.  I have had bad service from how press at the work sight
 TW> and heard horror stories about other places but I sent mine to a guy
 TW> in california named rapeir right mister warren right. and he does a
 TW> magnificent job. the man takes his time and tears the machine down
 TW> fully and fixes everything right the first time. it was gone less
 TW> than a week.  he doesn't come cheap but quality service doesn't

Well, Tandy, I have had very good luck with how press, and had
horrow experiences  with other places.  You are luckey that you had
good luck with some one else.  The turn around time sounds good.
Every time I got my perkins braillor back from how press, it was
like new.  Even though I would like to have one of those new
rollers, I will wait untill I need to return it for repairs.

As far as the price, the last time I sent a braillor to how press a
few years ago, it cost $50 to overhaul it, and make like new.  I
don't find any service that is any good cheap today.

               Walter

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!396!5.18!Walter.Siren
Internet: Walter.Siren@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org

Walter.Siren@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Walter Siren) (11/02/90)

Index Number: 11457

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 SH>      Funny you mention brailers, I just thought about it and relized I
 SH> haven't had a brailer for over 5 years now.  Just been using the computer
 SH> and a slate.hahaha  Wow! I can't believe it!  Seems so natural not to have
 SH> a brailer hmmm how does it feel to have one any way! ahha

I would hate to be without it.  I guess I have become lazy in my
old age, because I hate to use the slate.  I even got the dymo
attachment to use with my brailler so I don't have to use my one
line slate anymore except if I am away from home.  We like them so
much, that we have three of them, so that each one has his own
brailler.   One I had to buy for my daughter when she was in
school, and the third one I won at an ACB convention.

               Walter

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!396!5.18!Walter.Siren
Internet: Walter.Siren@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org

Steve.Bauer@f6.n291.z1.fidonet.org (Steve Bauer) (11/02/90)

Index Number: 11466

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

I had the new rollers put on my Perkins that I have at home
and they are great.  They sent me new knobs alright, but were the same size I
had.
No problem cause they work fine.  I really like the new roller
and need to have the one at the office cleaned and upgraded one of these days.
There is a retired guy locally who does great repair work.

I've had my first Perkins for over 30 years.  Too bad other manufacturers don't
offer this kind of product life.

Steve/

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!291!6!Steve.Bauer
Internet: Steve.Bauer@f6.n291.z1.fidonet.org

Lee.Mounger@f729.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Lee Mounger) (11/02/90)

Index Number: 11481

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Hi Tandy,

Please give me the address of that brailler repair man in California.  I
have two braillers here that could use an overhaul.
Several years ago, I sent a brailler back to Howe Press for repair and
like most service people everywhere else, they sent it back a few weeks
later, charged me about $60, and didn't even fix the two major things
that were wrong in the first place.  This was despite a letter I
enclosed with the brailler detailing exactly what was wrong.  Oh well,
that's past history.  Thanks.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!106!729!Lee.Mounger
Internet: Lee.Mounger@f729.n106.z1.fidonet.org

David.Andrews@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (David Andrews) (11/02/90)

Index Number: 11485

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 SB> I had the new rollers put on my Perkins that I have at home
 SB> and they are great.  They sent me new knobs alright, but were
 SB> the same size I had.
 SB> No problem cause they work fine.  I really like the new roller
 SB> and need to have the one at the office cleaned and upgraded

I also got the new roller on one of my machines, and I hate it.
This is the one without all the grooves in it, just a rubber ring
every five spaces.  I find that if a paper is a little bent at all,
it is almost impossible to roll it into the machine.  You have to
get it just so, and hold it just so for it to get started.

Why couldn't they leave well enough alone???

David Andrews

... Your Sound Alternative

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89!David.Andrews
Internet: David.Andrews@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org

campbell%hpdmd48@hplabs.HP.COM (Gary Campbell) (11/08/90)

Index Number: 11643

Walter.Siren@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Walter Siren) writes:
>old age, because I hate to use the slate.  I even got the dymo
>attachment to use with my brailler so I don't have to use my one
>line slate anymore except if I am away from home.  We like them so

How does that work?  Will it use 3/8-in tape?

My braillers are around 30 years old.  One needs some lubrication or
something, but they're basically going great.  However, a couple of
friends have told me that the new Perkins braillers do not hold up very
well and need repair very quickly.  Is there any truth to this?

Gary Campbell

Lee.Mounger@f729.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Lee Mounger) (11/17/90)

Index Number: 11781

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Yeah Walter, you're absolutely right that I shouldn't have let them get
away with not fixing my brailler.  However, at the time, I was
pre-computer and needed my brailler desperately, even though it wasn't
perfect.  Also, I tend to be very impatient about some things and one of
them is dealing with companies by mail.  At the time, I simply assumed
that since they had done such a poor job that they were probably not
capable of doing any better and I just didn't have time to fool with
another back and forth shipment through the mail.  Later, I bought
another brailler when I could afford it.  I'm glad to know there are
others who can repair them other than Howe Press.  My life is less
frantic now so I would probably handle the situation differently.  Come
to think of it, I wonder where that receipt for repair is now.  Wonder
if they would make things right after oh say ten years or so, <grin>.