[misc.handicap] GUIDES VS. DOGS

Patrick.Gormley@f432.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Patrick Gormley) (11/17/90)

Index Number: 11766

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

One thing that's never been mentioned in the canes vs. dogs issue is the
added food cost associated with the dog.  That averages to about a $20
to $30 increase in the weekly food budget.  You have to have a love for
animals and I don't.  I agree with David Andrews because in the event,
something should happen to your dog, You'll need the skills with the
cane while waiting for a class to open up.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!109!432!Patrick.Gormley
Internet: Patrick.Gormley@f432.n109.z1.fidonet.org

Tom.Gerhart@f210.n273.z1.fidonet.org (Tom Gerhart) (11/17/90)

Index Number: 11776

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 PG> One thing that's never been mentioned in the canes vs. dogs
 PG> issue is the added food cost associated with the dog.  That
 PG> averages to about a $20 to $30 increase in the weekly food
 PG> budget.  You have to have a love for animals and I don't.

Patrick,
I don't know where you found those estimates for food but i have three
dogs and two cats and we certainly do not spend $20 or $30 per dog.  We
spend about $50 per month for the whole crew.  Also, glad to hear you do
not have a dog since you don't like animals.  I am very curious about
the statement you made about nfb philosophy and your mariage I don't
understand how that would help or hurt your relationship? tom G

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!273!210!Tom.Gerhart
Internet: Tom.Gerhart@f210.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Gary.Petraccaro@f90.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Gary Petraccaro) (11/17/90)

Index Number: 11788

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

-> In a message to David Andrews <11-05-90 13:10> Patrick Gormley wrote:
->
-> PG> -> PG> One thing that's never been mentioned in the canes vs. dogs
-> PG> issue is the added food cost associated with the dog.  That
-> PG> averages to about a $20 to $30 increase in the weekly food
-> PG> budget.  You have to have a love for animals and I don't.
-> PG> I agree with David Andrews because in the event, something
-> PG> should happen to your dog, You'll need the skills with the
-> PG> cane while waiting for a class to open up.

Patrick,
     We have 3 cats and two dogs and we pay 30 a month for the lot.  Your
calculating on the basis of canned food I believe.  Btw, you can't agree
with David, you must mean Vixen.  She's the one who stressed competence
with cane and dog.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!90!Gary.Petraccaro
Internet: Gary.Petraccaro@f90.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Vixen@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org (Vixen) (11/17/90)

Index Number: 11810

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Hi,

Well yes, of course you should have a love for animals if you are
going to be a dog user. That should be obvious. There is a lot more
give and take and mutual love and respect needed in being a dog
user than when using a cane. If a person has no love or concern for
animals, they likely have no business having a guide dog. Like the
long cane, the guide dog is a tool, but it is also a friend and
also requires conviction, respect and care.

As far as the dogs food bill goes, that is not much of an argument
against dogs. If one has a limited budget, such as I do. There is
an SSI allowance set especially for Guide Dog users. The amount is
currently $30 and has been voted to an increase which more than
covers a month supply of quality dog food.

However, yes, you have to feed a dog, you have to take it out to be
relieved, it needs to be groomed and cared for. A cane does not
require such attentions. However, all this is very little tradeoff
for the valuable and devoted service that a good guide dog gives in
return.

Yes, something could come up where we (dog users) might need to use
a cane because our dogs are unable to work. That is hardly a big
problem, since I would suspect that very few dog users don't at
least know their basics with a cane and many many of us are quite
proficient cane travelers. I make a point of going out with my cane
every once in awhile even as a dog user.

I think you raised a good points as far as your personal feelings
about not wanting to use a guide dog goes, but I don't see that the
points you raised are much of an argument in cane versus dog use
though.

You are right about one thing for sure though, if you don't like
dogs, don't get one. You are doing both yourself and some guide dog
a favour. Dogs do require a commitement.

Keepin' the faith!

.                         Vixen

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!203!11!Vixen
Internet: Vixen@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org