[misc.handicap] Stories - Biographies - Autobiographies

WMCQUEEN@UTOROISE.BITNET (William McQueen) (11/19/90)

Index Number: 11815

02dmwilson@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Dannielle Wilson) writes:

>I am a new person on this system, but maybe many of you can help me!
>I am looking for magazines that I could subscribe to that deal with
>education of the handicapped or anything that deals with being
>handicapped.  I am a deaf education major, and I love to learn all
>kinds of things about different handicaps, what causes some of them,
>personals stories of how people deal with these, etc.  If you know
>of any place that I can subscribe to, I would greatly appreciate it!

Dannielle!

        I was very interested in your request. Last summer I
posted a similar request on the FidoNet echo disABLED, before
the hub sysops in the Toronto area decided in their wisdom to
discontinue this and other echoes.

        I received back several nice items. I also promised I
would share what I had with others who were interested. I have
been trying to gather materials - print as well as electronic - for
a special collection in our graduate school of education
institute. The contributions of adventitiously and congenitally
disABLED are very much underestimated, undocumented, and
unsystematically collected in Libraries. Educators influence so
very many people I want to gather not only the statistical data,
but especially the stories of disABLED persons in order for the
heritage of other ABLED persons to be better appreciated, and
more consciously brought into the facilitator's agenda.

        A very kind contributor, Ann Parsons in Rochester, sent along
a small list which I am forwarding, along with the request that we share
what we discover, and if anyone has anything they would like to add
to the list, to ask them to send them in.

        Hope this helps a bit.
        Bill McQueen in Toronto

Well there are scads and scads of good books out there. My trouble is I can
never remember Authors. I can give you titles though.

1. The Story of My Life, by Helen Keller. This book needs no
explanation. [Helen Keller wrote several other books as well].

2. "The Miracle Worker", a play, don't ask me the author. It's about Annie
Sullivan.

3. My eyes Have a Cold Nose, (check author) is about a blind guy and his
live,
a lawyer, I think.

4. Lovie, This is a honey of a book about an autistic child. (check author)

5. A Patch Of Blue, either the movie or the book, good story, old fashioned
but  ok. (check author)

6. Any of the "Life Goes On series" on TV.

7. Language In Thought And Action, by S.I. Hayakawa. This is an excellent
book for learning about communication. It was required by my Freshman English
Proff
in college.

8. To Race The Wind, about a blind guy's college experiences.

9. If you Could See What I Hear? by Tom Sullivan, blind musician.

There are also various data bases and file archives associated with the
Handicap Digest that I just discovered, perhaps you could ask
your sysop to help you with d/l files and so forth.