[misc.handicap] Is Anybody in my Shoes?

Harry.London@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Harry London) (11/14/90)

Index Number: 11664

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

I am a T-10 paraplegic as the result of an inflammatory type
process in the spinan cord. The process had already done a lot of
damage before surgery in March, 1989. After '88. Neurologists had
nothing to offer until the left leg lost sensitivity to hot and
cold. Then followed MRIs etc. showing a widening of the cord at the
T-10 level. By this time other underneath functions were being
lost, and we went to surgery. }The tumor they were lo0oking for
wasn't there.  But there was evidence of old and fresh bleeding
inside the cord. After surgery left leg had substantial strength,
but right leg did not. Then in late summer of 89In was  further
progression to the point where I now have no strength or sensation
in either leg. Have been in a wheel chair since March 89, and
getting along rather well in the house (without personal
assistance) but depending on others for transportation outside the
house. Now I'm getting into I am now starting to research in two
areas: (1) Vans with wheelchairr lifts (best make and model, best
conversion sources, best assortment of conversion features) and (2)
Wheelchair friendly housing.

So I'd appreciate hearing from any and all any experiences of
suggestions about (1) and (2) above...but also any andwhether
anyone has experienced or knows of anyone who has experienced my
symptoms and history. I would feel better with a precise
diagnosis--if it's at all possible I would like to arrest the
underlying process before it has achance to progress further.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!Harry.London
Internet: Harry.London@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Alan.Hess@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Alan Hess) (11/14/90)

Index Number: 11665

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

In a message of <Nov 05 20:00> Harry London (1:261/1000@fidonet) writes:

 HL:>sensation in either leg. Have been in a wheel chair since March 89,
 HL:>and getting along rather well in the house (without personal
 HL:>assistance) but depending on others for transportation outside the
 HL:>house. Now I'm getting into I am now starting to research in two
 HL:>areas: (1) Vans with wheelchairr lifts (best make and model, best
 HL:>conversion sources, best assortment of conversion features) and (2)

Are you able to transfer independently from your chair?  From your
message above, it sounds like you can.  You might be better off
with a car and hand controls.  Less expensive, easier to park,
better gas mileage.  Or, you can try a minivan - Chrysler products
are adaptable.  I wish I'd done that - my Ford gets 12 gallons to
the mile, and is too high for many parking garages.

 HL:>Wheelchair friendly housing.

That's hard to find.  We had some work done to our house to make it
relatively accessible (a ramp was added, and a shower nine years
later).  I still can't get downstairs without going outside.  *adh*

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!Alan.Hess
Internet: Alan.Hess@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

John.Lynch@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (John Lynch) (11/16/90)

Index Number: 11729

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

Well, Harry, I am a T 7-8 para.  My suggestion is to write to the
Department of Veterans Affairs and ask for the booklet they have on 702
houses requirements, these are adaptive houses the VA will help vets
injured the service build.
As far as a van is concerned, I love my Ricon lift on a full size Chevy
van.  The Chevy seems to have a higher roof then the others that saves
me from putting a poped plastic top on the van.  Thus I can sit up right
with head clearance, yet get  into most garages, the poped top keeps you
out of many, and save gas.  But go get the dealers to get you into all
the brands.  Ride in your chair and see the height and ride.
But, you also may want to check out a two door car.  Cheaper and works
well.  Just pull your chair into the back seat foot wells.  I used one
for years before I got tire of getting soaked getting into and out of
it.  Let your finances help be your guide, along with your needs.
Good luck.
Regards, John

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!John.Lynch
Internet: John.Lynch@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Harry.London@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Harry London) (11/16/90)

Index Number: 11730

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

Thanks, John Lynch, for your information about VA booklet on 702
houses; also your suggestions on shopping for a van/lift. I don't
think I'm going to hassle with a 2-door and as you say getting
soaked in the rain. And I'm inclined to transfer from the wheelchair
to the driver's seat that would have 8-way power. I did see a video
on the Vanagon addressed specifically to wheelchair folk, and they do
have a $1500 allowance toward conversion. Do you have an opinion on
Vanagon (formerly VW station wagon)? Thanks again, and best regards.
Harry

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!Harry.London
Internet: Harry.London@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (11/16/90)

Index Number: 11732

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 HL> So I'd appreciate hearing from any and all any experiences
 HL> of suggestions about (1) and (2) above...

        I think Alan had some very good suggestions.  A car with
hand controls is much more user friendly if you can manage the
transfers.  Consult a good O.T. for an evaluation and
suggestions.

        The housing also is much easier if you can transfer.
Where do you live now and what difficulties are you experiencing
at your present home?  What are the features you want in your new
home?  What can you afford?

                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Harry.London@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Harry London) (11/16/90)

Index Number: 11733

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

I've managed to function very well in the house I have but it certainly
wasn't built for my present and future situation. My thought is to look
ahead to housing that is accessible fully from the start. I guess this
means an apartment, and I wonder if there are central places that keep
track of accessible apartments. I live in Northwest Baltimore and have
no plans to move to another part of the country, for that matter I will
probably want to stay right in NW Baltimore. Where are you? By the way if
I didn't say so already, I'm freshly widowered, and live alone.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!Harry.London
Internet: Harry.London@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

John.Lynch@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (John Lynch) (11/19/90)

Index Number: 11835

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 HL> have a $1500 allowance toward conversion. Do you have an opinion on
 HL> Vanagon (formerly VW station wagon)? Thanks again, and best regards.

Well Harry, I got the vidio that VW put out.  Gives a good overall
view.  My only problem is the 1.9 L engine.  Everyone I have talked
to says it is a dog in hilly country, much less mountains.  But if
you live on the planes of the midwest looks like a good  vehicle.
Lets us know if you buy one.

Regards, John