[misc.handicap] Fax Cards and Speech Programs.

FENTONR@QUCDN.BITNET (Bob Fenton) (11/17/90)

Index Number: 11814

[This is from the BLIND-L mailing list]

Does anyone or can anyone recommend to me which Fax board and
supporting software works best with Speech technology.  Note: the
board must be for a microchannel machine, and I am using Screen
Reader.

Thanks for your help,

Bob Fenton
Faculty of Law, Queens University__Phone: (613) 531-8566.
329 Earle Street, Box 107
Kingston, Ont. K7L 2J4_fentonr@qucdn.bitnet

rudy@mtqua.att.com (Avram R Vener) (11/26/90)

Index Number: 11968

In article <15721@bunker.UUCP>, FENTONR@QUCDN.BITNET (Bob Fenton) writes:
> Index Number: 11814
>
> Does anyone or can anyone recommend to me which Fax board and
> supporting software works best with Speech technology.  Note: the
> board must be for a microchannel machine, and I am using Screen
> Reader.

Facsimile transmission works with GRAPHICS rather than text.  If you
are talking about using Screen reader to read the actual transmission
you are out of luck.  You would need an OCR program to convert the
graphics image to text and THEN it might be read by Screen Reader. I
haven't seen any fax boards which have this capability built into the
system yet.

Good luck.

Rudy Vener  AT&T BL  uucp: att!mtqua!rudy