   From: yoichi <76004.2516@CompuServe.COM>
   Subject: letter from Kobe School for the Deaf

Tzippy, Ms. Naya wrote me that your last message to me gave her and her
kids great pleasure and excitement.  They are now preparing for the
school festival and practicing an English play, so it will take some
time
to respond to you.  Here is a message from Ms. Naya,
(Kobe school for the Deaf).
  As for your book she refers to, I am going to send her a copy
of your two articles.  Yoichi
Dear Zippy,
 I haven't writen to you for a long time, I hope
every thing is OK with you. We are doing OK, now
my studens and I are practising English Drama for
Cultural Festival, that is School festival we show
our drama on 23ed of November. So, we are very busy
but we enjoy it.
 Thank you for your offer that you will be our link
to SILENT TALK .  I told my students about your offer
and they were very pleased to hear that.  Now they are
writing  their messages to SILENT TALK.
 I hope I can send you my students' messages soon.
By the way, I didn't read the book which you mentioned
to me yet. I am interested in it, so could you tell me
more about that book ?
 We are going to have a field day tomorrow in our school.
all the students are devided into two teams, one is red
and the other is white. We'll have a good time.
 Hope to hearing from you soon.
                                     Yoshie Naya

how about that? I will post the messages if I get them at the college.
I think this is great! 47 deaf kids from Japan writing messages to the
people here. I am delighted. I hope we can all answer the kids with
interesting messages. It is a true global village

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!107!608!Tzipporah.Benavraham
Internet: Tzipporah.Benavraham@f608.n107.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Parsons@f207.n260.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Parsons) (11/19/90)

Index Number: 11820

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Hi Tzippie,

Great! How is Japanese Sign Language different from ASL? Are the basic signs
for eat, sleep, go and come the same? Does anyone know if there is a French
Sign Language, a German one?  Also, if oral language is influenced by the
environment and culture of its speakers, doesn't the fact that there are
different sign languages give credence to the fact that sign is a language
instead of a code like braille? Interesting topic, eh?

I will let Norm know you asked about him. Glad to hear about their interest in
the college in Washington D.C.  Maybe some of them will attend soon?

Well, gotta run. See you on-line.

Ann P.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!260!207!Ann.Parsons
Internet: Ann.Parsons@f207.n260.z1.fidonet.org

Vixen@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org (Vixen) (11/20/90)

Index Number: 11890

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Hi Ann,

I noted your question asking if there was a Japanese sign language
and if many of the signs were the same as American Sign Language.

As you know, I was in Japan last summer. While I was there, I was
exposed to a limited amount of Japanese Sign Language.

My impression was that much of it was more geometric with the hands
open, fingers extended and palms flat. But again, we are talking
about an impression based on limited exposure and by a visually
impaired signner. (Meaning me of course.)

I would like to have seen more, but my basic impression was that
American Sign Language was a freer more flowing language form.

Yes, there is a French Sign Language and I "think" that ASL has its
roots in French Sign Language. (Help me my more knowledgeavle
friends.)

Other countries do have their own systems as well. There is even a
Mexican or Hispanic Sign Language and so on.

Keepin' the faith!

.                          Vixen

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!203!11!Vixen
Internet: Vixen@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org

James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org (James Womack) (11/28/90)

Index Number: 11980

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

You are correct that ASL is rooted in FSL. When Laurent Clerc came
over here with Thomas Galaudet, he brought FSL with him. About 60%
of the ASL signs we use today can be traced to Laurent Clerc's French
signs. Indeed, in the presence of French signers, I find I can comprehend
a great deal of what they say.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!14!James.Womack
Internet: James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org