[misc.handicap] Computerized ASL dictionary

gest_ss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Gavin Stark) (11/26/90)

Index Number: 11967

	Here is a good question for you all... Does a computerized
ASL dictionary exist?  I have seen Sign Friends but I was not impressed
with its resolution or speed.

	My idea is fairly simple.. I would like to see a videodisk (or
a set of disks) that would be controlled from say either a Mac or an Amiga
and would be able to cross reference related words, show different inflections
of signs, show regional differences, etc.  A truely complete, and difficult
project.  If anyone has done, started, or are interested in something like
this please send me e-mail, or post a followup.  If there is interest I will
post a summary.

Gavin Stark
Student, University of Rochester
Rochester, NY

--
Gavin Stark				         gest_ss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu
Member, society to promote the non-gender specific nature of the word "dude"

cdvnsp@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (Larry Nehring) (11/28/90)

Index Number: 11972

In article <15870@bunker.UUCP>, gest_ss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu
(Gavin Stark) writes...
>Index Number: 11967
>
>	Here is a good question for you all... Does a computerized
>ASL dictionary exist?  I have seen Sign Friends but I was not impressed
>with its resolution or speed.
>
>	My idea is fairly simple.. I would like to see a videodisk (or
>a set of disks) that would be controlled from say either a Mac or an Amiga
>and would be able to cross reference related words, show different inflections
>of signs, show regional differences, etc.  A truely complete, and difficult
>project.  If anyone has done, started, or are interested in something like
>this please send me e-mail, or post a followup.  If there is interest I will
>post a summary.

Hey Gavin, Its Larry here!

This past summer at the International Congress of Educators of the Deaf
(Rochester, NY)  the National Technical Institute for the Deaf showed off its
Lipreading/Speechreading Videodisk, as accessed by a Mac SE (I believe).

As of yet, I know of no other projects where one is being used.

I agree that it would be far better than a book dictionary,
but it would also have many limitations of the "non-linguistic" parts of ASL.

I think that a different approach to organising the ASL videodisctionary would
have to be developed, in order to represent the ASL principles
(Handshape/Orientation/Movement/Position/etc.)  A good starting place would
probably be William Stokoe's ASL dictionary (the first of its kind) which used
these principles to list signs, as opposed to the standard English
Alphabetical.

Hope this is helpful

Larry Nehring
National Technical Institute for the Deaf
@ Rochester Institute of Technology
(and University of Rochester Grad student)
via Chris

peters@ee.udel.edu (Shirley Peters) (11/29/90)

Index Number: 12022

writes:
>Index Number: 11967
>
>	Here is a good question for you all... Does a computerized
>ASL dictionary exist?  I have seen Sign Friends but I was not impressed
>with its resolution or speed.
>
>	My idea is fairly simple.. I would like to see a videodisk (or
>a set of disks) that would be controlled from say either a Mac or an Amiga
>and would be able to cross reference related words, show different inflections
>of signs, show regional differences, etc.  A truely complete, and difficult
>project.  If anyone has done, started, or are interested in something like
>this please send me e-mail, or post a followup.  If there is interest I will
>post a summary.

Funny you should ask.  I spent about 2 hours yesterday looking at a
sign language dictionary put together by NTID (nat'l tech. Inst.
for the Deaf). It runs on a Macintosh using Hypercard.  It's being
tested right now, and still has a lot of bugs, but it's basically
what you asked for.

There are a few problems with it, though.  It doesn't have anything
for regional differences, or inflections.  It does have some ASL
stuff, but I don't think it's complete in that sense.  There are
about 9000+ signs, taped from deaf adults and put on 4 video discs,
so the images are full color, but with 4 discs you either need 4
laser-disc players, or have to switch them all the time.  The speed
is very dependent on the computer, and the laser-disc player being
used.  This is not commercially available yet (if ever.)  I have an
address for NTID if you'd like it.

Now, the reason I was looking at this is that I am in the process
(well, alright, just starting) to write my own sign language
dictionary.  The difference in mine is that it will be backwards.
You will look up the 'sign'  (location, handshape, motion, etc) and
the dictionary will come back with the word or words that it
matches.  As far as I know, this has not been attempted on a
computer yet, so if anyone knows of one, please let me know!

Shirley
Shirley Peters                                             peters@udel.edu
                           I'd rather be sleeping!