[net.space] Inconsistency of some space program backers

wjr@frog.UUCP (STella Calvert) (07/02/86)

In article <6150@elsie.UUCP> ado@elsie.UUCP writes:
>When just plain folks die for some stupid reason, certain space program backers
>(Niven, Pournelle, et al.) ask us to "Think of it as evolution in action."
>
>When astronauts die for some stupid reasons, we're asked to send money to the
>L-5 Society.

If we don't evolve from dependence on government-funded space
transport into a mature space industry, we'll die on this mudball.

And that, too, will be evolution in action.

				STella Calvert

			Love is the law, love under will!

Guest on Account: {cybvax0!mit-eddie!decvax}!frog!wjr

>When just plain folks die for some stupid reason, certain space program backers
>(Niven, Pournelle, et al.) ask us to "Think of it as evolution in action."
>
>When astronauts die for some stupid reasons, we're asked to send money to the
>L-5 Society.

The two situations are not equivalent in their long-term effects on us.
Nobody suggests closing down the Interstate Highway network just because
some "just plain folks" got hit by a truck.
--
Usenet(n): AT&T scheme to earn
revenue from otherwise-unused	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology