[misc.handicap] Controversy Over Prodigy Pricing

Harvey.Wyche@f15.n11.z1.fidonet.org (Harvey Wyche) (11/08/90)

Index Number: 11632

Just finished reading a news article entitled: "Prodigy Pulls
Computer Plug on Protesters".  It seems that Prodigy subscribers
are angry over being charged for some messages (beginning Jan. 1)
in addition to their flat rate monthly fee.  They started to
complain and to protest this increase in rates by making their
dissatisfaction known to Prodigy advertisers.  In response to this,
Prodigy has deleted messages about the controversy from its
network, refused to meet with the protesters, and has even canceled
some protesters' memberships because they complained to advertisers
(not exactly what I would call a user friendly network).

The article reported that Greg Bobbs of Atlanta (a regional
coordinator of the protest movement) said that he was particulary
displeased with the Prodigy decision to implement additional
charges for messages because many "handicapped people" use the
message network as a support group.  I wonder if this is an
accurate statement.

While I'm new to this echo, I haven't seen any references to
Prodigy. Ofcourse, I realize that if you're here, you don't need to
be on Prodigy. But, I belong to more than one electronic message
network and I would imagine that others do likewise.  I was
wondering if anyone felt the way that Greg Bobbs did, that many
disabled people are using Prodigy as a support group.  What special
features does Prodigy offer as a support group that other networks
do not.  Was it truly the flat rate monthly fee?  Or are there
other attractions? Just curious.

Harvey...

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!11!15!Harvey.Wyche
Internet: Harvey.Wyche@f15.n11.z1.fidonet.org

David.Loudon@f41.n267.z1.fidonet.org (David Loudon) (11/14/90)

Index Number: 11671

 > using Prodigy as a support group.  What special features
 > does Prodigy offer as a support group that other networks
 > do not.  Was it truly the flat rate monthly fee?  Or are
 > there other attractions? Just curious.

   Prodigy, being an upstart computer service, will most likely have all the others beat hands down before too long (having the advantage of modern equipment).  Unfortunately, Prodigy also has a thing for nickle and diming the user.

   For those who don't know what the controversy is:
       Prodigy as a nationwide pay BBS by Sears and IBM
       They have E-Mail, and a few people took advantage of
         the service for personal advertisement... by
         addressing a single memo to "ALL," literally
         thousands of people would receive the memo, and
         the original sender paid close to nothing.
       So prodigy implimented a 25 memo per month policy,
         with a 25 cent fee per memo above 25 (I think
         those numbers are correct).  Addressing a memo
         to "ALL," could now cost hundreds.
       It didn't seem fair to many users that Prodigy changed
         the terms of the contract mid-stream, so they
         protested to the 'deaf' ears of Prodigy.  More
         important, Prodigy obstructed the use of its service
         for the purpose of members to protest the issue.

   Thats where it appears to sit right now.  Prodigy will not
concede on what it currently considers to be a fair estimate
of E-Mail needs for the average user.  Protestors really have
no recourse.

   As for right now, Prodigy really doens't offer any enhanced
services (existing networks are far superior for SUPPORT
purposes -- since they are already well established).  That
can all change with time (but thats a fate we accept when we
use technology -- that economics and sometimes politics are
involved).
                                             --- David S. Loudon ---

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!267!41!David.Loudon
Internet: David.Loudon@f41.n267.z1.fidonet.org

cas@mtdcb.att.com (Cliff Stevens) (11/16/90)

Index Number: 11713

In article <15578@bunker.UUCP>, David.Loudon@f41.n267.z1.fidonet.org
(David Loudon) writes:
> Index Number: 11671
>
> Protestors really have no recourse.

But they do.  Just don't participate!  I signed up for prodigy when they
offered one month free.  But, I didn't like it, so I only accessed it once!
I mean, why pay them when Fido is free!  (Whatever happened to Opus?)
------------
Militant Handicapped Survivor!
	Cliff Stevens	MT1E228  att!cbnewsj!ncas  (908)671-7292

Gary.Greiner@f21.n272.z1.fidonet.org (Gary Greiner) (11/16/90)

Index Number: 11746

DL>          important, Prodigy obstructed the use of its service
DL>          for the purpose of members to protest the issue.

DL>                                              --- David S. Loudon ---

David, an important correction. Prodigy restricted NOT the users who
protested, but those who used Prodigy E-Mail to urge others to BOYCOTT
Prodigy. Prodigy is not a public utility, but a private business
enterprise and as such does not have to subsidize (unlimited E-Mail is
still free, until the end of the year, I believe) efforts whose
intention is to put it out of business.
Cheers,
             TM

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!272!21!Gary.Greiner
Internet: Gary.Greiner@f21.n272.z1.fidonet.org

Andy.Anderson@p11.f116.n138.z1.fidonet.org (Andy Anderson) (11/16/90)

Index Number: 11753

> Just finished reading a news article entitled: "Prodigy
> The article reported that Greg Bobbs of Atlanta (a regional
> coordinator of the protest movement) said that he was
> particulary displeased with the Prodigy decision to
> implement additional charges for messages because many
> "handicapped people" use the message network as a support
> group.  I wonder if this is an accurate statement.

In my opinion,WHY should I pay for the "prodigy" service then pay
extra everytime I use it,espeacially(sp) when I can get this echo
and others free?

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!138!116.11!Andy.Anderson
Internet: Andy.Anderson@p11.f116.n138.z1.fidonet.org

Gary.Greiner@f21.n272.z1.fidonet.org (Gary Greiner) (11/29/90)

Index Number: 12046

DS> I haven't seen a lot of this thread but let me see: Prodigi is going t
DS> charge more for sending messages on the service because of the use of
DS> by the handicapped?  If so, we should fling them all over the place fo
DS> it that wouldn't be equal access.  73

DS> ---

Totally incorrect assumption, Darrell. Read text available on Prodigy
that explains why it happens. Quite candid explanation. If you cannot
lay hands on it let me know I may upload it.
Cheers,
           TM

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!272!21!Gary.Greiner
Internet: Gary.Greiner@f21.n272.z1.fidonet.org

34AEJ7D@CMUVM.BITNET (Bill Gorman) (12/01/90)

Index Number: 12067

Gary.Greiner@f21.n272.z1.fidonet.org (Gary Greiner) wrote:

>Totally incorrect assumption, Darrell. Read text available on Prodigy
>that explains why it happens. Quite candid explanation. If you cannot
>lay hands on it let me know I may upload it.
>Cheers,

WRONG-O, Gary. Darrell is correct in his assumption because the Prodigy
folks themselves foolishly chose to specifically single out and mention
"handicapped people" as a group. Had they not done this, but merely
continued carping about generic people/groups that send a lot of e-mail,
they *might* have been OK. However, since they are a "store", albeit an
electronic one, they are *still* guilty of discriminatory practice by
virtue of the way the piece of their software that runs of a user's PC
is designed: full of artsy-*artsy graphics that make it useless for
visually-impaired/blind users who must employ some sort of screen-reading
software. IMHO, this is the electronic equivalent of refusing to provide
a ramp to permit potential customers to roll into a store that would
be otherwise inaccessible due to architectural barriers.

At least, that's the way I see it.