[misc.handicap] Chronic Pain!

cas@mtdcb.att.com (Cliff Stevens) (11/19/90)

Index Number: 11853

I finally think I have an idea of what chronic pain really is like!
I had a bad cough from a cold and I coughed so much, so hard, I
strained some muscles in my R shoulder, back, and neck.  Now due to
this I was in constant pain.  Not terrible, I could live without
pain killers, but I never felt like doing anything!

It was depressing, not only from the pain, but also from the fact I
never did anything because I never felt like it!
------------
Militant Handicapped Survivor!
	Cliff Stevens	MT1E228  att!cbnewsj!ncas  (908)671-7292

jqtaylor@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (John Quill Taylor) (11/26/90)

Index Number: 11965

In Index Number 11853, cas@mtdcb.att.com (Cliff Stevens) writes:

>I finally think I have an idea of what chronic pain really is like!
>I had a bad cough from a cold and I coughed so much, so hard, I
>strained some muscles in my R shoulder, back, and neck.  Now due to
>this I was in constant pain.  Not terrible, I could live without
>pain killers, but I never felt like doing anything!
>
>It was depressing, not only from the pain, but also from the fact I
>never did anything because I never felt like it!

You have felt the *physical* aspects of chronic pain, indeed; now,
endure it at random moments for twenty years of your life, and then
you shall know the *psychological* aspects of chronic pain. -JQT

cas@mtdcb.att.com (Cliff Stevens) (11/28/90)

Index Number: 11975

In article <15874@bunker.UUCP>, jqtaylor@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (John
Quill Taylor) writes:

| In Index Number 11853, cas@mtdcb.att.com (Cliff Stevens) writes:
|
| >I finally think I have an idea of what chronic pain really is like!
| >I had a bad cough from a cold and I coughed so much, so hard, I
| >strained some muscles in my R shoulder, back, and neck.  Now due to
| >this I was in constant pain.  Not terrible, I could live without
| >pain killers, but I never felt like doing anything!
| >
| >It was depressing, not only from the pain, but also from the fact I
| >never did anything because I never felt like it!
|
| You have felt the *physical* aspects of chronic pain, indeed; now,
| endure it at random moments for twenty years of your life, and then
| you shall know the *psychological* aspects of chronic pain. -JQT

I'm sorry, I guess I didn't express myself very well, but what I meant
was that this exposed me to the psychological aspects of the problem.
I don't think I claimed that the pain physically caused me any problems,
but it did psychologically!
------------
Survivor! (As the National Head Injury Foundation calls us.)
	Cliff Stevens	MT1E228  att!cbnewsj!ncas  (908)671-7292

jqtaylor@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (John Quill Taylor) (12/01/90)

Index Number: 12083

Regarding my comments to Cliff about the physical and psychological
aspects of chronic pain:

When I read your account, I immediately became defensive when you said,
"I didn't feel like doing anything." Now that I read your further
explanation, I understand better what you have experienced. Let me explain
why I over-reacted. Also, if you have recently become afflicted with
chronic pain, or live with or know someone with chronic pain, maybe my
further elaboration on the physical and psychological aspects will
help you to better understand them. I'll start with a (probably poor)
analogy:

A few years back, after knee surgery, I spent some time in a wheelchair
and a long time on crutches. I didn't "do" anything or "go" anywhere,
because I never learned how. I might have felt some of the psychological
aspects of a person who loses the use of his or her legs, but I knew I
would walk again -- my mind was set on it. Three years later, I'm running
10Ks in under 40 minutes. I'll never be a sprinter again, but I'll never
forget my week in a wheelchair.

Contrast this with people who live every day without legs: They DO go
places -- didn't one recently cross the United States in a wheelchair?!
They have struggled and won several victories: accessable parking,
elevators, access on some busses and vans, etc., and all of this is
good. More still needs to be done.

Now, my point: People who live with chronic pain ALSO DO THINGS! In the
nineteen years since my neck injury, I have: completed high school,
received a Bachelor's Degree and am entered in "Who's Who in American
Colleges & Universities", gotten married, had a son, gotten divorced,
have a job (writing) for eleven years that I enjoy. And I am almost
always in moderate pain, and sometimes in severe pain. After twenty years
of chronic pain, I am getting good at dealing with it. Although each
chronic pain patient is different, many of us have the ability to
succeed in life. Psychologically, chronic pain produces an entire
spectrum of emotions. These can be overwhelming in the first weeks and
months, but eventually one can learn and develop skills to deal with
chronic pain. For those who do it day by day, minute by minute, I'm sure
they will understand this. For those who have not experienced chronic
pain: sometimes, it's not only worse than you imagine, it's worse than
you CAN imagine; most of the time, however, for me at least, "I can
handle it." --JQT