[misc.handicap] wheelchair survey, request for info

willis@violet.berkeley.edu (Willis Johnson) (11/14/90)

Index Number: 11656

I'm collecting information on wheelchairs, and am especially interested
in people's feelings about reliability and ease of service of the major
brands.  Would you buy an E&J, Invicare, Quickie again?  Have you seen
the new E&J model?  Would you buy one?

If there is much interest in this topic I will collate the responses
and post them to the net.

Thanks,

Willis Johnson
willis@violet.berkeley.edu

cas@mtdcb.att.com (Cliff Stevens) (11/16/90)

Index Number: 11716

I had E&J as a rental while I was inpatient and then got
a Quickie when I went outpatient.

And according to what I was told, I was *HARD* on my chair!  Since I
had almost fully functional legs, I was in and out of the chair all
the time, and even when I was in it, I kept putting my affected leg
on and off the footrest all the time.  And that kind of inconstant
stress is very hard on any kind of device.

The E&J I used was cleaned by my OTA, and I had no trouble w it!  But
I have no idea of what, if any, PM she did.  On the other hand, the Quickie
was nothing but trouble!  The big wheels kept sliding in their mounts,
the brakes also kept sliding, and the footrests kept breaking.  In fact,
I had a regular nightly routine; do my home exercises, take my meds, and
do PM on my chair!

But the Quickie was light.  35 pounds!  I used to lift it w my one good
arm and lift it into the hatchback of my Toyota Celica GT.  The E&J was
not light!
------------
Militant Handicapped Survivor!
	Cliff Stevens	MT1E228  att!cbnewsj!ncas  (908)671-7292

Marc.Moyantcheff@f71.n135.z1.fidonet.org (Marc Moyantcheff) (11/21/90)

Index Number: 11906

hi willis,

WJ> brands.  Would you buy an E&J, Invicare, Quickie again?
WJ> Have you seen
WJ> the new E&J model?  Would you buy one?

        lets see, i have always had E&J powerchairs.

        my 1st was the 3P . man ,  that was/is THE BEST chair i had. i put
that chair though hell 'n back. it kept me going. luved those motors.

        '86 - '87 i had the marathon . that chair was possest(SP?) , had
trouble from the get go. motors went, had 3 new modules , frames , name it .

        '90 Aug, NEW MARATHON  - Aug  6 right motor went bad. replaced it
after 7 weeks . now my left motor started. ordered a new on..

Marc A. Moyantcheff

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!135!71!Marc.Moyantcheff
Internet: Marc.Moyantcheff@f71.n135.z1.fidonet.org

Harry.London@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Harry London) (11/28/90)

Index Number: 11987

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

i Have used an Invacare 2000 for the past year and a half and I have
nothing but good to say about it. My chair has arms that tilt back
instead of needing to be removed and replaced all the time. If I made a
change it would be in the direction of ultra lightweight but not for
sports activity. I hope the survey sheds light on
disatisfaction/satisfaction in the lightweight class. Harry London.
 WJ> I'm collecting information on wheelchairs, and am especially
 WJ> interested
 WJ> in people's feelings about reliability and ease of service of the
 WJ> major
 WJ> brands.  Would you buy an E&J, Invicare, Quickie again?  Have you seen

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!Harry.London
Internet: Harry.London@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Scott.Royall@f357.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Scott Royall) (11/29/90)

Index Number: 12034

 In a message dated 17-Nov-90, Jack Colley writes:

 JC> I had an E. & J. power drive wheelchair, The early models were
 JC> very
 JC> good and durable. I have tried several models of E. & J. chairs
 JC> since
 JC> with no success.   Their R.& D. is not keeping with current
 JC> technology
 JC> and as a result, is not providing quality goods, or service, in
 JC> this
 JC> part of Canada.  Two years ago, I purchased an Invacare, Rolls,
 JC> power
 JC> drive chair, and have had trouble free mobility ever since.  I
 JC> would
 JC> strongly recommend this company's product.

Ah, a subject I can sink my teeth into.  I had (and still have as backup) one
of Rolls' first microprocessor chairs.  There were endless design problems
during the first two years, and no doubt the company came to rue my purchase.
Yet, we stuck with it and ended up with a hard-working chair that I ran
through many sets of tires.  Now, I have a three-year-old Rolls' Arrow XT
that bears a passing resemblance to a M1A1 tank: rugged and quick.

The one caveat about a Rolls product is to BE DAMN SURE THE CONTROLLER BOX IS
WELL SEALED.  The circuit board under their inductive joystick is very
vulunerable to moisture.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!106!357!Scott.Royall
Internet: Scott.Royall@f357.n106.z1.fidonet.org

Bill.Higgins@p17.f9.n249.z1.fidonet.org (Bill Higgins) (11/29/90)

Index Number: 12045

Hi Cliff,

 Allow me to quote the letter you mailed on 17-Nov-90

 CS> The E&J I used was cleaned by my OTA, and I had no trouble w it!  But
 CS> I have no idea of what, if any, PM she did.  On the other hand, the
 CS> Quickie was nothing but trouble!  The big wheels kept sliding in their
 CS> mounts, the brakes also kept sliding, and the footrests kept breaking.
 CS> In fact, I had a regular nightly routine; do my home exercises, take
 CS> my meds, and do PM on my chair!
 CS>
 CS> But the Quickie was light.  35 pounds!  I used to lift it w my one
 CS> good arm and lift it into the hatchback of my Toyota Celica GT.  The
 CS> E&J was not light!

    It sounds as if you got a dud. I have a Quickie II and all I've ever had
    to do is change the tires (why don't they use vulcanized rubber??) and
    grease it once in a while (and clean it). I do my own service work as
    it's cheaper and i know it's the way I want it done. Right now I'm
    looking for 24" mountian or BMX type tires for the Canadian winter. Trust
    me, winter's here can be brutal.

    Last thought, get somebody with alot of brawn to take a pair of heavy
    wrenches and tourque down those axels before you meet with a disaster.

    TTFN!!!! (Well Officer, it's like this. I went one way and the tires on
              my chair went the other causing this massive pile up.)

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!249!9.17!Bill.Higgins
Internet: Bill.Higgins@p17.f9.n249.z1.fidonet.org

cas@mtdcb.att.com (Cliff Stevens) (12/01/90)

Index Number: 12073

In article <15957@bunker.UUCP>, Bill.Higgins@p17.f9.n249.z1.fidonet.org
(Bill Higgins) writes:
> Index Number: 12045
>     It sounds as if you got a dud. I have a Quickie II and all I've ever had
>     to do is change the tires (why don't they use vulcanized rubber??) and
>     grease it once in a while (and clean it). I do my own service work as
>     it's cheaper and i know it's the way I want it done. Right now I'm
>     looking for 24" mountian or BMX type tires for the Canadian winter. Trust
>     me, winter's here can be brutal.

I don't know, how much can you use your legs?  I basically was in the chair
only until I learned to walk again, so I was *CONTINUISLLY* in and out of it.
And that kind of repeated stress is very hard on it.  In fact, in the winter
I couldn't get traction to push myself w my R foot, so I'd get out of the chair
and push it in front of me!  But from your post I get the impression that you
are probably spinal cord (People who would need knobbies are those
who push w both hands, not roll w one and push w one foot.), but I never
had to change a tire, but I was only in ethe Quickie for 0.75 year (But in
a chair for 2.5 years.)
------------
A man's gotta know his own limiyations!  Dirty Harry Callahan
	Cliff Stevens	MT1E228  att!cbnewsj!ncas  (908)671-7292

Frank.Whitney@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Frank Whitney) (12/01/90)

Index Number: 12085

>I had an E. & J. power drive wheelchair, The early models were very
>good and durable. I have tried several models of E. & J. chairs since
>with no success.   Their R.& D. is not keeping with current technology
>and as a result, is not providing quality goods, or service, in this
>part of Canada.  Two years ago, I purchased an Invacare, Rolls, power
>drive chair, and have had trouble free mobility ever since.  I would
>strongly recommend this company's product.

I have to agree with you 100 percent.  The Rolls I believe is the best
power chair currently on the market.
Frank.

-- Via Opus Msg Kit v1.11

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!Frank.Whitney
Internet: Frank.Whitney@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org