[misc.handicap] Audible trafic lights

Darrell.Shandrow@f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Darrell Shandrow) (11/14/90)

Index Number: 11677

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

I find that drivers who are getting ready to turn right on a red light
will let you cross if you put out your cane a little into the street
before you cross.  After all, theycertainly don't want to hit you and be
liable for it.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!7!Darrell.Shandrow
Internet: Darrell.Shandrow@f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Al.Hoffman@p0.f143.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Al Hoffman) (11/14/90)

Index Number: 11700

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

I have been watching this discussion of the audible lights for a bit
now and ...

     Technology is not the problem, or the solution.  If an audible
light is there it gives the blind person the same information the
sighted person has--no more no less.  If the blind guy doesn't then
use that information correctly then he may get hit in the intersection-
-but its not the lights fault now is it?  I like those lights, but
find them unneccisary (god I can't spell) at times.  I was a proofreader
and still can't spell! ha ha ha.

     Anyway, remembering that technology is never the problem and
never the solution then we'll al get a much colmer outlook on subjects
like these--maybe?

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!109!143.0!Al.Hoffman
Internet: Al.Hoffman@p0.f143.n109.z1.fidonet.org

Dave.Tanner@p210.f1.n273.z1.fidonet.org (Dave Tanner) (11/14/90)

Index Number: 11704

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Got to agree that many drivers don't pay attention to the cane.
That is exactly one reason I decided to get a dog.  After having
the local buses run over my cane twice while waiting to cross a
street I decided at least the dog would see them coming and get it
and me out of the path of a reckless bus driver or some of the
other wierd drivers on the roads today.

Honestly some drivers act like they got their license out of a box
of Cracker Jacks.

     D. T.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!273!1.210!Dave.Tanner
Internet: Dave.Tanner@p210.f1.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Lee.Kerr@f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lee Kerr) (11/14/90)

Index Number: 11706

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

I HAVE HAD GUYS TURNING RIGHT BREAK MY CANE AND WE HAVE HAD BLIND GUYS
KILLED BY CARS TURNING RIGHT AT CROSS WALKS AND TRAFIC LIGHTS.
        LEE

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!7!Lee.Kerr
Internet: Lee.Kerr@f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org

cas@mtdcb.att.com (Cliff Stevens) (11/16/90)

Index Number: 11715

In article <15584@bunker.UUCP>, Darrell.Shandrow@f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org
(Darrell Shandrow) writes:
> Index Number: 11677
>
> I find that drivers who are getting ready to turn right on a red light
> will let you cross if you put out your cane a little into the street
> before you cross.  After all, they certainly don't want to hit you and be
> liable for it.

But aren't you assuming they'll look to the side and notice you and your
cane?  A lot of good it'll do if he feels bad, but you're a traffic fatality!
But I guess you'll lie in your grave easier if you know he's liable!
------------
Militant Handicapped Survivor!
	Cliff Stevens	MT1E228  att!cbnewsj!ncas  (908)671-7292

Gary.Petraccaro@f90.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Gary Petraccaro) (11/17/90)

Index Number: 11771

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

-> In a message to Darrell Shandrow <11-04-90 20:18> Lee Kerr wrote:
->
-> LK> I HAVE HAD GUYS TURNING RIGHT BREAK MY CANE AND WE HAVE HAD
-> LK> BLIND GUYS
-> LK> KILLED BY CARS TURNING RIGHT AT CROSS WALKS AND TRAFIC
-> LK> LIGHTS.

     Thanks.  I was afraid I was the only one that happened to.  We also
had a dog killed that way, and the moron masquerading as a police officer
that day didn't take the driver's name, license number, or anything.  Think
he's still on the force.  No, it didn't happen to me - I've just been
lucky, I'm sure not a better traveler than the guy it did happen to.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!90!Gary.Petraccaro
Internet: Gary.Petraccaro@f90.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Lee.Kerr@f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lee Kerr) (11/17/90)

Index Number: 11798

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Hi  al.
Those things are not a jptroblem jbecause they are technology, they are a
problem because I cant hear the trafic with them making their noise.  They
are a hazzard because they fowl up my sense jof hearinbg.  I dont have any
problem with things which are a benefit but something DANGEROUS like those
distractions to toe trafic flow, U have a BAD problem with.  Anyone else
has the right to like them or dislike them acording to their own
conditions, likes, or dislikes. I DONT LIKE THEM.
Chat again soon.  You braught up good points,
                              Lee

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!7!Lee.Kerr
Internet: Lee.Kerr@f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Warren.King@p0.f429.n275.z1.fidonet.org (Warren King) (11/17/90)

Index Number: 11804

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

> Walter,
>
>      Know someone who does have a dog, counted on his ears, and still
> had a
> truck kill a dog.  Unfortunately, can't give more details now.

I know of a sighted person who stepped of a curb a red light and got hit
by a truck! <grin>

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!275!429.0!Warren.King
Internet: Warren.King@p0.f429.n275.z1.fidonet.org

Liz.Campbell@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org (Liz Campbell) (11/17/90)

Index Number: 11805

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Hi Gary!
Like you, I've had some close calls with drivers who decide to turn right
on red lights. I wish the states would change the legislation, but the
driving lobby out there is quite strong! Anyway, I've never been hit or
anything, but I've started to walk across the street and hear a car whizz
by. I think that is scary--especially when you know the light has changed
to walk. Also, I don't think drivers pay one bit of attention.
Liz

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!130!10!Liz.Campbell
Internet: Liz.Campbell@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org

Al.Hoffman@p0.f143.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Al Hoffman) (11/20/90)

Index Number: 11861

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

We have some lights here that are pretty good--nonintrusive but useful
in their limited fashion.  Actually the crossings that are the most
dangerous have no babbling lights, its the easy ones they put those
things on.  For example the light near my building where I work is
pretty useless because any fool can get accross there, as well as
the light near one of the malls around here--its a T intersection
and there are always people walking around there.  Anyway then the
light near the subway station near my house, four lane highway to
cross near a subway and shopping center, no light beeping etc.  But
then sensibleness is not public authority.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!109!143.0!Al.Hoffman
Internet: Al.Hoffman@p0.f143.n109.z1.fidonet.org

Darrell.Shandrow@f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Darrell Shandrow) (11/20/90)

Index Number: 11868

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

I don't immagine drivers are that crazy.  Really, my mmain reaason for
putting the cane a little into the intersection beffore crossing it is so
that the drivers do know that I intend to cross.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!7!Darrell.Shandrow
Internet: Darrell.Shandrow@f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Grant.Downey@p0.f9.n381.z1.fidonet.org (Grant Downey) (11/20/90)

Index Number: 11872

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

The problem with audible traffic lights is that itis totally
unrealistic to expect that all traffic lights will be of that nature.
If people get used to depending on the audible signals then what
happens when they get to one that is not?  Developing the skills as
difficult as it may be to determine traffic  seems to me to be the best
way to go.  Indeed audible traffic lights would be helpful and I'd love
to think that every corner would have one but people aren't going to
tolerate the municiple authorities puting out that kind of money. Grant

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!381!9.0!Grant.Downey
Internet: Grant.Downey@p0.f9.n381.z1.fidonet.org

Walter.Siren@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Walter Siren) (11/20/90)

Index Number: 11882

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 GD> The problem with audible traffic lights is that itis totally unrealistic to
 GD> expect that all traffic lights will be of that nature. If people get used
 GD> to depending on the audible signals then what happens when they get to one
 GD> that is not?  Developing the skills as difficult as it may be to determine
 GD> traffic  seems to me to be the best way to go.  Indeed audible traffic
 GD> lights would be helpful and I'd love to think that every corner would have
 GD> one but people aren't going to tolerate the municiple authorities puting
 GD> out that kind of money. Grant

Well, Grant, you have a point, but I would not mind having them
where I could get them.  Like braille elevators, I know that I
won't get them everywhere, but I like it where they do have them.
It sure helps.

               Walter

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!396!5.18!Walter.Siren
Internet: Walter.Siren@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org

Al.Hoffman@p0.f143.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Al Hoffman) (11/21/90)

Index Number: 11928

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Hi Grant:

     About these lights again.  We're putting the blame on the lights
and not the people.  Of course we shouldn't expect the lights everywhere,
just as people don't expect escalators everywhere--but for some people
I bet they never would think "boy, better not like this is too handy."

     Its great when a light is well designed so why discourage the
good ones, bad ones should be pointed out, and a place that ought
to have a audible light should be pointed out too.  They can't cost
that mc\uch, and they are like escalators, just a convenience when
installed propperly.

     The lights in D.C. that I have dealt with so far have been well
designed, if sometimes not really needed.  But then half the people
pay no attention to the light anyway.

     I think its simple.  Yell at bad lights that get in the way,
applaude the good lights, and don't worry if it is a problem.  Nothing
is for free ya know.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!109!143.0!Al.Hoffman
Internet: Al.Hoffman@p0.f143.n109.z1.fidonet.org

Grant.Downey@p0.f9.n381.z1.fidonet.org (Grant Downey) (12/04/90)

Index Number: 12139

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

I agree with you concerning brailled elevators they are quite helpful.
I'd just hate for the public to expect audible traffic lights and to
think theat blind people needed them in order to cross the street.  I
have to admit though that if one was installed on one ofmy routes I'd
most likely use it. Grant