[misc.handicap] Migraines

Pat.Shirley@f999.n142.z1.fidonet.org (Pat Shirley) (11/19/90)

Index Number: 11838

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

Is the subject of the migraine headache appropriate for this Echo?  My wife
has suffered from them all her life.  Most doctors she goes to treat it like
a psychosomatic illness.  Psychosomatic or not, the pain is still there and
hurts just as badly as if there really was something wrong (which I'm sure
there is; these doctors have probably never had to suffer through day after
dayof completely debilitating headache).  All they do is throw prescriptions
for drugs like Caffergot at her.  Has anyone done anything or does anyone
have any information about anything that's been done, to eliminate the
headache itself, hopefully permanently, rather than just eliminating the
pain for the time being?  She's either down from the headache or down from
the medication.  She would like to be able to be rid of them, and lead a
more normal life.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!142!999!Pat.Shirley
Internet: Pat.Shirley@f999.n142.z1.fidonet.org

debbie@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Debbie Forest) (11/26/90)

Index Number: 11962

In article <15746@bunker.UUCP> Pat.Shirley@f999.n142.z1.fidonet.org writes:

>Is the subject of the migraine headache appropriate for this Echo?  My wife
>All they do is throw prescriptions
>for drugs like Caffergot at her.  Has anyone done anything or does anyone
>have any information about anything that's been done, to eliminate the
>headache itself, hopefully permanently, rather than just eliminating the
>pain for the time being?

my husband had very good success with chiropractic.  when he started going
(for a wrenched back actually) he was getting migraines almost every day.
about 3 times a week he'd get one bad enough to be deabilitating (sp?)
after a short time they decreased in frequency and severity, and soon
disappeared altogether.  while he was in regular treatment he managed to go
many months without a single migraine!  when he stopped going to the
chiropractor as regularly, he started getting them occasionally.  but now a
treatment once a month or so seems to keep them under control.

btw, here's a few hints my chiropractor told me on finding a reputable
chiropractor.  look for someone who does hands on adjustments.  some use
alternative techniques like heat, massage, or biofeedback.  he said those
might feel good, and might help, but are NOT chiropractic.  some
chiropractors use some kind of mechanical adjustment.  he siad he's not
real sold on this technique, it might work, but it seems counter to the
holistic nature of chiropractic and also it might be too harsh and cause
some damage.  he personally would avoid the mechanical in favor of hands on
adjustment.  watch out for people who want to sell you all kinds of
vitamins.  they should never do adjustments without an initial exam, which
should almost always include at least a couple x-rays.  beware of someone
who takes no x-rays or who takes LOTS of x-rays.  he said a degree from
palmer school of chiropractic is a good sign, but there are other good and
reputable schools as well.  he also said a very good way to decide is to
just visit the office and see if you feel comfortable there.  being a
holistic practice that treats the whole person, the place shold be clean,
the people friendly and helpful.  avoid anyone who won't take the time to
sit down and talk to you.

David.Johns@f15.n363.z1.fidonet.org (David Johns) (12/04/90)

Index Number: 12170

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

  More and more doctors are prescribing Inderal as a preventative. Sometimes
this is in conjunction with an antidepressant medication such as Elavil
or some other tricyclic compound. Has she ever tried this? Tell her to ask her
doctor about it. If he or she won't prescribe it, tell her to refer her to
someone who will.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!363!15!David.Johns
Internet: David.Johns@f15.n363.z1.fidonet.org

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (Sue Bishop) (12/06/90)

Index Number: 12332

In article <15871@bunker.UUCP>, debbie@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Debbie Forest) writes:
| Index Number: 11962
|
| In article <15746@bunker.UUCP> Pat.Shirley@f999.n142.z1.fidonet.org writes:
|>
|>Is the subject of the migraine headache appropriate for this Echo?  My wife
|>All they do is throw prescriptions
|>for drugs like Caffergot at her.  Has anyone done anything or does anyone
|>have any information about anything that's been done, to eliminate the
|>headache itself, hopefully permanently, rather than just eliminating the
|>pain for the time being?
|
| my husband had very good success with chiropractic.  when he started going
| (for a wrenched back actually) he was getting migraines almost every day.
| about 3 times a week he'd get one bad enough to be deabilitating (sp?)
| after a short time they decreased in frequency and severity, and soon
| disappeared altogether.  while he was in regular treatment he managed to go
| many months without a single migraine!  when he stopped going to the
| chiropractor as regularly, he started getting them occasionally.  but now a
| treatment once a month or so seems to keep them under control.

Caffergot contains caffeine.  Many people have a sensitivity to
caffeine that triggers migraines when the level of caffeine
declines or increases in their body.  I cannot tolerate caffeine at
all and if I drink any beverage containing it I quite often get
massive migraines.  I would suggest your wife try stopping any
ingestion of any substance that might contain caffeine.  It may
take as long as several weeks to get it all out of her system.
Then see if she has a reduction in the migraines.  Warning!  She
may have more severe headaches for a while as the caffeine in her
system leaves.