[misc.handicap] Braille fonts?

campbell%hpdmd48@hplabs.HP.COM (Gary Campbell) (12/03/90)

Index Number: 12128

I am looking for fonts to print braille on printers such as laser or
inkjet printers.  I heard that there is one for the Mac.  Does anyone
know where I could get it, or of any others?

I am also looking for information on different codings used in braille
printing devices; the mapping between the ASCII character and the dots
printed.  I know the code used by the Braille 'N Speak and the LED120,
but I would like to know if there are any others out there that are used
by machines.

Thank you.
--
Gary Campbell
Internet: campbell@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com

curt@boombox.micro.umn.edu (Curtis Griesel) (12/04/90)

Index Number: 12196

In article <16043@bunker.UUCP> campbell%hpdmd48@hplabs.HP.COM
(Gary Campbell) writes:
>Index Number: 12128
>
>I am looking for fonts to print braille on printers such as laser or
>inkjet printers.  I heard that there is one for the Mac.  Does anyone
>know where I could get it, or of any others?

Marie Knowlton, a professor at the University of Minnesota, is
doing somthing like what you describe.  She has created braille
fonts which show up under the "fonts" menu of Macintosh word
processors.  These fonts consist of braille cells rather than the
standard English characters.

What do you want to use the fonts for?  As far as I know, a
standard computer printer will only print these cells in ink, so a
document produced this way would be visual, not tactile.  (A person
could see the braille but not feel it).  Do you know some way to
get tactile printing out of these printers?

To produce tactile braille, Marie prints onto what I think what is
called "thermal-cap" paper.  She then runs this paper through a
transparency maker (any evenly-heated source might work), which
caused the thermal-cap paper to expand wherever there is black ink
on it.  Thus, the visual braille cells raise up, and can be read!

She hasn't combined these fonts with a braille-translator, so
anything that you want in grade 2 has to be typed in as grade 2,
but it is a neat idea.  There is especially great potential for
creating tactile drawings this way, complete with braille text, by
using something like MacPaint or MacDraw.

I havn't asked her permission to spread her address around the
world, so if you want more info, drop me a note and I'll pass it on
to her.  I'm also using this technique so would be glad to hear
from you.

---
Curtis Griesel
Coordinator of Adaptive Technology,  University of Minnesota
MWNC,125 Shepherd Labs, Minneapolis MN 55455
curt@boombox.micro.umn.edu                  612/626-0365

campbell%hpdmd48@hplabs.HP.COM (Gary Campbell) (12/06/90)

Index Number: 12333

curt@boombox.micro.umn.edu (Curtis Griesel) wrote:
>Index Number: 12196
>
>What do you want to use the fonts for?  As far as I know, a
>standard computer printer will only print these cells in ink, so a
>document produced this way would be visual, not tactile.  (A person

I work in the group in the lab here at HP that makes the LaserJet fonts.
We have received a request to register a braille symbol set.  The person
who keeps track of symbol sets and characters asked me what different
codings I knew or could find out about so that he could do a little
planning in how he makes the assignment.  I also have a friend here who
has asked me for a braille font to write demos and teaching material,
etc.

>could see the braille but not feel it).  Do you know some way to
>get tactile printing out of these printers?

Only the possibility of the way you mention, or something like the PixelMaster.

>To produce tactile braille, Marie prints onto what I think what is
>called "thermal-cap" paper.  She then runs this paper through a
>transparency maker (any evenly-heated source might work), which
>caused the thermal-cap paper to expand wherever there is black ink
>on it.  Thus, the visual braille cells raise up, and can be read!

I have had various contacts with this method in the last few years.
When I was vacationing in England in the fall of 1987 (I think) I talked
to the people at RNIB in London about this.  They use paper from
Minolta, who have a special machine called the Stereocopier, I think.  I
asked about how to get the paper, since some years before I had called
Minolta in response to a magazine article and was told they had never
heard of it.  The person at RNIB was mystified at this-- she showed us a
package and said to just call Minolta-- no problem at all!  This time
when I called Minolta in the U.S. they had heard of it, but only because
of other requests like mine.

Several years ago I heard that there was a similar braille font
developed in the Netherlands for a Mac.  I also have heard that the same
kind of paper was sold by Otsuki Communications.

>creating tactile drawings this way, complete with braille text, by
>using something like MacPaint or MacDraw.

That is what RNIB uses it for mainly-- that and Moon Type-- it's too
expensive for regular braille production.  I don't know if they were
using computers in the process or not.  They were definitely using
computers, though.  I missed an opportunity to see a BrailleLink display
because I got to talking with the guy using it and forgot to look at it!
:-)