[misc.handicap] Summer Camps

Carla.Campbell@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Carla Campbell) (11/30/90)

Index Number: 12052

 AP> but went to Camp Wapanakee, a camp for the blind in Vermont. It
 AP> was an eye-opener. I was treated like just one of the folks

Ann, your mention of your camp experience reminds me of a question I
promised to ask on this Echo/News Group.  You might well be exactly the
person with the information I need-- or there might be three dozen folks
out there with the information I need who'll reply. <grin>

I am now running the Disability discussion area on American
People/Link-- the area, itself, is small, but growing.  I was approached
by one participant who asked me if I knew of summer camps for disabled
kids.

She would like to work at such a camp next summer between high school
and college.  She has experience working with blind, deaf/HI children
and physically disabled kids, as well. She knows rudamentary sign
language, and can get by reading and writing Grade One Braille.  She has
assorted Red Cross certificates in first aid, and others (I can get a
list if it will be helpful in assertaining her qualifications).

I knew of no camps for blind, hearing impaired or otherwise disabled
children, but told her that I would try to find some addresses to which
she might send her resume and letters of recommendation.  She is looking
for paying positions, rather than volunteer programs for financial
reasons. Please let me know if you know of a good contact for her, as
she is very enthusiastic and eager to get arrangements made for the
summer.

Oh.. yeah: I'm back, BTW. <wave> <wave>

                                             --Carla

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89!Carla.Campbell
Internet: Carla.Campbell@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org

deforest@hpihoah.cup.hp.com (Martha de Forest) (12/03/90)

Index Number: 12122

> I am now running the Disability discussion area on American
> People/Link-- the area, itself, is small, but growing.  I was approached
> by one participant who asked me if I knew of summer camps for disabled
> kids.

There are many camps across the country for kids with all sorts of
disabilities.  On the way home from work, I pass two.  The camps are
in the middle of California Redwoods, the addresses are:

	Camp Krem "Camping Unlimited for Retarded Children"
	102 Brook Lane
	Boulder Creek, CA 95006
	(408) 338-3210

	Camp Harmon "Easter Seals"
	16275 HWY 9
	Boulder Creek, CA 95006
	(408) 338-2128

These are both in the Santa Cruz mountains 45 minutes from Silicon
Valley, 90 minutes from San Fransisco.  Other addresses that you can
use for a lead were posted by Sheila Fava last month, these addresses
can be used to find children's athletic camps.  The neat thing about
athletic camps is that the children are likely to make friends whom
they will see at athletic events throughout the year.  My daughter
went to an athletic camp and had a blast.

  ORGANIZATIONS WHICH OFFER SPORTS/ATHLETICS FOR disABLED INDIVIDUALS

     The organizations listed below are members of the Committee on
     Sports for the disABLED of the United States Olympic Committee.

  Since I belong to three of the organizations listed below (USCPAA,
  NWAA and PVA-Auxiliary) I will begin by listing the sports organi-
  zations I belong to:

     National Association of Sports for Cerebral Palsy
     3916 E. 34th Street
     New York, NY 10016            (Parent Organization)
     U.S. Cerebral Palsy Athletic Association
     34518 Warren Road -- Ste. 264
     Westland, MI 48185

     PHONE: (313)425-8961
     National Wheelchair Athletic Association
     3595 East Fountain Blvd., Ste. L10
     Colorado Springs, CO  80910

     PHONE:  (719)574-1150
     United States Les Autres Sports Association
     34518 Warren Road, Ste. 264
     Westland, MI  48185

     PHONE:  (313)425-8961
     Paralyzed Veterans of America (Auxiliary)
     801  13th Street, NW
     Washington, D.C.  20006

     PHONE:  (202)872-1300  or

           1-800-424-8200

     CONTACT PERSON:  Andy Flemming
     National Handicapped Sports and Recreation Association
     Capitol Hill Station
     P.O. Box 18664
     Denver, CO  80218
     American Athletic Association of the Deaf
     3916 Lantern Drive
     Silver Spring, MD  20902
     Special Olympics, Inc.
     1350 New York Ave. NW, Ste.500
     Washington, D.C.  20005
     United States Association of Blind Athletes
     55 W. California Ave.
     Beach Haven Park, NJ  08008
     United States Amputee Association
     Rt. 2, County Line
     Fairview, TN  37062

          These sports organizations are here for -YOU-
     the -potential- athlete....YOU who will do your best to
     the best of your ability and whether you win or lose, it
     will be worth the effort because it was the fight well fought.
   -----
     If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
   -----

          ---Sheila.

          ** HOST(ess):  ABLED-Athlete Conference #72 **

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!157!3!Sheila.Fava
Internet: Sheila.Fava@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Parsons@f204.n260.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Parsons) (12/05/90)

Index Number: 12197

Hi Carla,

Well, there are lots of 'em. Tell your friend to try The American Foundation
for the Blind, The Perkins Institute  or someplace like that. I dunnow if
Wapanacky is still extant. <grin> It was truly an experience I'll never
forget. Sometimes I wonder whatever happened to some of those people. If any
body knows where Miriam Stone or Cafer Barkush, or Anna Lan, or Siv and
Vivian, or anybody else from the Summer school at Wapanacky 1968, let me know.
Would love to touch base.

Ann P.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!260!204!Ann.Parsons
Internet: Ann.Parsons@f204.n260.z1.fidonet.org

moth@dartmouth.edu (Tom Leathrum) (12/10/90)

Index Number: 12426

In Article 12052 of misc.handicap, Carla Campbell
(Carla.Campbell@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org) writes:
>I was approached
>by one participant who asked me if I knew of summer camps for disabled
>kids.

I used to work at a camp for mentally handicapped people in South
Carolina, called Camp Hope.  On the same grounds there was another
camp, Camp Sertoma, that ran sessions for blind children and for
speech and hearing impaired children.

I have two recommendations for places to look for information on
camps for disabled:  1) the American Camping Association -- have no
idea of an address for them, but they're big, and they accredit
camps around the country (the camps where I worked got their
accreditation one of the years I was there); and 2) any of the
charitable organizations that might sponsor such things -- e.g.
(from where I worked) the Jaycees sponsored Camp Hope, the Lions
Club sponsored Camp Lions Den (the session in Sertoma for blind
kids), the Sertomans sponsored everything else in Sertoma, and the
Knights of Columbus had a sort of scholarship program for the
camps.

Of course, the national organizations of/for people with whatever
disability(ies) you have in mind will be of some help, but don't
expect too much -- e.g. the ARC pretty much ignored Camp Hope, but
on the other hand Camp Running Brave (a session on Camp Hope
grounds for kids with hemophilia) was sponsored and run entirely by
the South Carolina chapter of the National Hemophilia Association.

A couple of other vague hunches that might work out:  ask someone
in your State University system (the camps where I worked were
officially part of Clemson University's Outdoor Laboratory, run by
the Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management program of the
Forestry Department), or else in 4-H (Camp Hope used to be run on
4-H campgrounds, long before my time) or some other extension
organization.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Tom Leathrum