[misc.handicap] WARNING: POSSIBLE PHONE SCAM

34AEJ7D@CMUVM.BITNET (Bill Gorman) (12/11/90)

Index Number: 12433

This weekend I got a call from someone claiming to represent
something called "NOVA", acronym for "National Organization of
Vocationally Abled Handicapped".  They are trying to sell "long
life" lightbulbs. The caller claimed they had "eight offices
nationwide" and claimed to be calling from a local city. I checked
with Directory Assistance and found no such listing for that city.
This sounds like a scam to me. If they call you, I suggest you take
appropriate precautions. On the off chance that they are proven
legit, I will then apologize for my extreme caution. But not until
then.

kathyj@pase70.Convergent.Com (Kathy Johnson) (12/13/90)

Index Number: 12445

In article <16352@bunker.UUCP> 34AEJ7D@CMUVM.BITNET (Bill Gorman) writes:
>Index Number: 12433
>
>This weekend I got a call from someone claiming to represent
>something called "NOVA", acronym for "National Organization of
>Vocationally Abled Handicapped".  They are trying to sell "long
>life" lightbulbs. The caller claimed they had "eight offices
>nationwide" and claimed to be calling from a local city. I checked
>with Directory Assistance and found no such listing for that city.
>This sounds like a scam to me. If they call you, I suggest you take
>appropriate precautions. On the off chance that they are proven
>legit, I will then apologize for my extreme caution. But not until
>then.

I don't know if the agency is legitimate or not, but the light bulbs
are garbage.  My husband bought some from that group last year and the
bulbs last an average of a month or so.  (The ones from the store last
longer.)
Kathy M. Johnson			Unisys has, takes, or claims
Unisys, San Jose			absolutely no responsibility
					for this posting.