[misc.handicap] Silence

T.K..Kang@hnews.fidonet.org (T.K. Kang) (12/06/90)

Index Number: 12345

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

In a message of <Nov 25 22:22>, Fred Myers (1:360/1.35@fidonet.org) writes:

 >     Welcome back, T.K.!  Hope this finds you well.  Have you been
 >back to Penang recently?  Seems like one of your last messages was
 >that you anticipated going there.

   Yes.. I am glad the link is back. I did go back to Malaysia for a
hoilday and spent sometime in the East coast. Good feeling and since
it was Visit Malaysia Year things were different.
   Did not have much time to know about the disabled population in
Malaysia. However it seems a new legislation was passed that buildings
will be accessible from now on. As for spinal patients... they don't
live long from what I gathered.
   Anyway I gald to hear from you again and I will get the disabled
here to start writing again .... hopefully.
   Cheerio.....

Regards: T.K. Kang, Sysop of HcUG BBS

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!T.K..Kang
Internet: T.K..Kang@hnews.fidonet.org

T.K..Kang@hnews.fidonet.org (T.K. Kang) (12/06/90)

Index Number: 12346

In a message of <Nov 25 12:55>, Mark Ochsankehl (1:120/175@fidonet.org) writes:

 >Great to hear from you all the way from Hong Kong!  I do send you
 >encouragements and hope that all is well with you.  Let us know a
 >little more about Hong Kong and some of the unique problems you are
 >facing there.  Thanks...  +Mark O+ on FAST EDDIES, Monroe, MI (Call
 >us anytime at 1-313-243-0944!) 1:120/175
   Good to have your reply. We are really from the other side of the
world. I am the Sysop of HcUG BBS and a therapist in a medical rehab
centre. The problem facing disabled here is mainly accessibility and
lack of educational opportunities. HcUG BBS was started to overcome
accessibility problem and for remote link-up. Telecommunication has
great potential in Rehab in view of the good facilites here in H.K.
Also computers are cheap <clones..>
  Next year HK is hosting the International AbiOlympic and hence
furthur improvement of services here is expected. Apart from that
H.K. is always an exciting place to be... provided you are abled and
rich. The good thing is that there is also something for the poor ie.
if they work hard.
   I got a 2400MNP modem recently. Have yet to call the state. Let me
know something about +Mark o+ on FAST EDDIES.....

Regards: T.K. Kang, Sysop of HcUG BBS

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!T.K..Kang
Internet: T.K..Kang@hnews.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (12/07/90)

Index Number: 12378

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 TK> I will ask Paul to keep you informed of new development here.
 TK>  He is busy getting the Para &
 TK> Quad group started here in H.K. So far so good.

        He may want to contact the Spinal Cord Injury Association
here in the U.S.A.  The address is 600 W. Cummings Park, Woburn,
MA, 01801.  They can provide a great deal of information and some
good ideas on organization.

 TK> How are you doing with your writing. You mentioned before
 TK> you are writing some down to earth books for disabled?

        The cookbook is done and waitingto find a publisher.  A
magazine article comes out in January.  Two other articles are in
the works and several are looking for publishers.

                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

T.K..Kang@hnews.fidonet.org (T.K. Kang) (12/14/90)

Index Number: 12498

In a message of <Nov 27 19:00>, Frank Whitney (1:261/1000@fidonet.org) writes:

 >Good to have you back.
 >Frank.
  Thanks for the reply and concern. I have started to write in this
echo again and hopefully more disabled will follow the same. I have
with me this morning a young lady who is interested in HcUG. She is
now wheelchair bound after having spent the last 21 years as a normal
individual. She is contemplating going back to study BUT there are
many problems which she has to cope with now.
   Advice is appreciated.... and hopefull she will be one of us in the
future.

Thanks
Regards: T.K. Kang, Sysop of HcUG BBS

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!T.K..Kang
Internet: T.K..Kang@hnews.fidonet.org

T.K..Kang@hnews.fidonet.org (T.K. Kang) (12/21/90)

Index Number: 12549