[misc.handicap] God

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (12/06/90)

Index Number: 12338

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

Reposted from the SAFE-SPACE echo in response to a question from
a recently injuried C5-6 quad.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Frank.Whitney@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Frank Whitney) (12/07/90)

Index Number: 12373

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

>     Perfect answer!  I feel the same way.  I have been asked if I really
>believe that God meant for my accident to happen.  My response is, "I sure
>hope so!"  That may sound strange, but think about it this way.  If things
>are happening in my life that God has no control over then I'm in real
>trouble and have bigger worries than just not being able to walk.

Joe, here we have to have separate views.  I believe that God allowed
my accident to happen but I don't believe that he caused it to
happen.  As far as after our accidents, I believe that we are what we
make ourselves.  I've always believed in God but I don't believe that
it was in his specific plan that I experienced a broken neck and all
that followed.  I'm definitely not a subscriber to the notion that it
was God's will!  If he wanted to he could intervene but in my case he
chose not to or you could look at it this way.  There was a cement
block several inches away from where I hit my head so he could have
intervened there.
Best of luck to you all.
Frank.

-- Via Opus Msg Kit v1.11

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!Frank.Whitney
Internet: Frank.Whitney@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (12/07/90)

Index Number: 12379

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

JC> center for ten years, coordinated the development of a
JC> specialized transportation service for the disabled, served on

JP>      I'd like to hear more about this one, Joe.

        The Easter Seals Society applied for a grant from VR in
1972 to study the need, advisibility, and pilot project for such
a service.  I did the pilot project and documented the need
during a 3 month period using station wagons and college
students as drivers.

        I hired a replacement for myself and the pilot project
was extended and funded for a year with vans.  I returned to the
project the following year and expanded the service into the
other two counties, making it a state-wide service with
additional vans.  I then left the service and served as an
advisor until 1979.

        The service now is a state agency, funded by the state
and ridership fees.  It transports riders throughout the state to
school, jobs, doctors, and recreational pursuits.

        That is a very simple outline, and doesn't cover the
hours and hours of lobbying, pleading, and arm-twisting.

        Hope this helps.
                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

johnm@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (John Miezitis) (12/10/90)

Index Number: 12423

> >     Perfect answer!  I feel the same way.  I have been asked if I really
> >believe that God meant for my accident to happen.  My response is, "I sure
> >hope so!"  That may sound strange, but think about it this way.  If things
> >are happening in my life that God has no control over then I'm in real
> >trouble and have bigger worries than just not being able to walk.
>
> Joe, here we have to have separate views.  I believe that God allowed
> my accident to happen but I don't believe that he caused it to
> happen.  As far as after our accidents, I believe that we are what we
> make ourselves.  I've always believed in God but I don't believe that
> it was in his specific plan that I experienced a broken neck and all
> that followed.  I'm definitely not a subscriber to the notion that it
> was God's will!  If he wanted to he could intervene but in my case he
> chose not to or you could look at it this way.  There was a cement
> block several inches away from where I hit my head so he could have
> intervened there.

Hi Frank

Another point of view is that God caused our situations so that by
our efforts to maintain a full productive life and not give way in
the face of adversity we will be an example to others (not only
disabled but everybody).

I have to say that I am not very religious and I dont't think God
had anything to do with my accident. It was entirely my fault and I
don't blame anyone, including myself, for it. It just happened. I
believe I would not find it as easy to cope if there was anybody to
blame although if God did decide I was to be paraplegic then the
above point of view is the one I would prefer.

I think I have waffled enough. Cheers everybody..
John. B. Miezitis. University of Tasmania Computing Centre
email: johnm@diemen.cc.utas.edu.au | Belgium man Belgium!!!

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (12/14/90)

Index Number: 12499

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 FW>  As far as after our accidents, I believe that we are what we
 FW> make ourselves.

        I didn't mean to say He caused my accident, but that
afterwards He helped redirect my talent.  I don't think He
intervenes directly in very many lives, but rather capitalizes on
the events.
                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Jerry.Pickup@p33.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Jerry Pickup) (12/14/90)

Index Number: 12505

In a message to Jerry Pickup <04 Dec 90 13:11:00> Joe Chamberlain wrote:

 JC>        The service now is a state agency, funded by the state
 JC> and ridership fees.  It transports riders throughout the state to
 JC> school, jobs, doctors, and recreational pursuits.

Gosh, sounds like what we need here.  We have one (1) private cab
company that has lift equipped vans and they have sorry, unsafe
equipment & service and charge an arm & leg.  If I were still using
them it would cost (last figures I have) about $680 per month to
get to & from work.  That's if I NEVER go anywhere else!  And in
Atlanta we rode the lift vans for $1.25 each way!!

                                     -Jerry

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.33!Jerry.Pickup
Internet: Jerry.Pickup@p33.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (12/21/90)

Index Number: 12550

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 FW>  As far as after our accidents, I believe that we are what we
 FW> make ourselves.

        I didn't mean to say He caused my accident, but that
afterwards He helped redirect my talent.  I don't think He
intervenes directly in very many lives, but rather capitalizes on
the events.
                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Jerry.Pickup@p33.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Jerry Pickup) (12/21/90)

Index Number: 12557

In a message to Jerry Pickup <03 Dec 90 18:08:00> Frank Whitney wrote:

 >>hope so!"  That may sound strange, but think about it this way.  If things
 >>are happening in my life that God has no control over then I'm in real
 >>trouble and have bigger worries than just not being able to walk.

 FW> Joe, here we have to have separate views.  I believe that God allowed
     ^^^
     Wrong person.  The message to which you are replying is mine...

 FW> make ourselves.  I've always believed in God but I don't believe that
 FW> it was in his specific plan that I experienced a broken neck and all
 FW> that followed.  I'm definitely not a subscriber to the notion that it
 FW> was God's will!  If he wanted to he could intervene but in my case he

At the risk of straying off topic slightly and definitely not
wishing to start a religious debate, I will attempt to explain more
clearly my previous post. I'm not trying to sway your point of
view, just to explain mine.

I know God loves me and I trust him in any decision he makes
regarding my life.  I also know he loves his son Jesus very much.
It was, however, very clearly his plan for Jesus to come to earth
to suffer and die so that he could rise again to conquer death and
sin.  If he has a purpose for my life and fulfilling that purpose
requires that I go through some rough times and feel some physical
pain, I don't see anything unbelievable about that.  I don't think
it means that he loves me any less.  I also don't think it is
punishment for some great wrong that I've done.

I know it has been an avenue for many opportunities, relationships,
and other events in my life.  I don't know if one or more of those
things is the reason for my accident or not.  I don't think it's
important for me to know the reason.  I trust God.

I realize everyone will not agree with this point of view and like
I said, I'm not looking to change your point of view, just to
explain mine.

                                        -Jerry

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.33!Jerry.Pickup
Internet: Jerry.Pickup@p33.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org

Jerry.Pickup@p33.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Jerry Pickup) (12/21/90)

Index Number: 12559

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

In a message to Jerry Pickup <04 Dec 90 13:11:00> Joe Chamberlain wrote:

 JC>        The service now is a state agency, funded by the state
 JC> and ridership fees.  It transports riders throughout the state to
 JC> school, jobs, doctors, and recreational pursuits.

Gosh, sounds like what we need here.  We have one (1) private cab
company that has lift equipped vans and they have sorry, unsafe
equipment & service and charge an arm & leg.  If I were still using
them it would cost (last figures I have) about $680 per month to
get to & from work.  That's if I NEVER go anywhere else!  And in
Atlanta we rode the lift vans for $1.25 each way!!

                                     -Jerry

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.33!Jerry.Pickup
Internet: Jerry.Pickup@p33.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (12/21/90)

Index Number: 12566

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 JP>      Gosh, sounds like what we need here.  We have one (1) private cab
 JP> company that has lift equipped vans and they have sorry, unsafe
 JP> equipment & service and charge an arm & leg.  If I were still using them
 JP> it would cost (last figures I have) about $680 per month to get to &
 JP> from work.  That's if I NEVER go anywhere else!  And in Atlanta we rode
 JP> the lift vans for $1.25 each way!!

        One approach is to get ACLU to file a class action suit
against the city transit system for failure to provide equal
access.  Our local transit system helps underwrite the cost of
our specialized transportation in order to meet the equal access
requirements.
                                -=joe=-