[misc.handicap] welcome

Wayne.Roorda@f715.n273.z1.fidonet.org (Wayne Roorda) (07/04/90)

Index Number: 9026

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Hi Elli,

I'm sure you will meet some interesting people at the local
SHHH group's meeting.  Do go and participate, and you might
even meet someone who wants to practice their sign language
with you as well.

You certainly have a challenging job.  I'm sure the rewards
are just as great for the kids as they are for you.  When
you and the kids are able to cross that communications
barrier using whatever works best (ASL, PSE, SEE and or any
other combination) it's a wonder of wonders and a delight
to see.

Do you have a copy of the Publications available from SHHH?
If not, you could write or call and request one from:

Self Help for Hard of Hearing People, Inc.
7800 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, Maryland 20814

or call 301-657-2248 Voice, 301-657-2249 TDD

And thank you for sharing with us.

                                          Wayne

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!273!715!Wayne.Roorda
Internet: Wayne.Roorda@f715.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Red.Maple@f223.n163.z1.fidonet.org (Red Maple) (07/25/90)

Index Number: 9513

Hi! Mike, Ottawa is really beautiful and clean.
Most buildings are accessible except for older buildings where there
may be difficulties.
The Disabled Person's Community Resources had published an accessibility
guide for Ottawa.
You may cntact them at the following address:
Disabled Person's Community Resources,
1545 Carling Ave.,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
cheers, Red

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!163!223!Red.Maple
Internet: Red.Maple@f223.n163.z1.fidonet.org

Nadine.Thomas@p59.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Nadine Thomas) (10/03/90)

Index Number: 10823

In a message to Jean-pierre Beland <27 Sep 90 11:44:00> Andy Anderson wrote:

 AA> Well thank you for the welcome J.P.

And I too would like to give you a warm welcome!

 AA>        I am new to this echo but am feeling more to home all the
 AA> time,My main interest at the moment is Methods of coping with this
 AA> inability to walk,it sure puts a damper on everything,Well talk with
 AA> you some more later?. -= Andy =-

Well, heck yea, inability to walk will put a damper on things but
another way to look at it is this - you will never be left standing
for lack of a chair at any functions or family get togethers, malls
can be a breeze, you can get places faster then people who are
walking, you don't have to buy shoes so often.

This is my small attempt at humor - you see one of the things I
have had to learn  is that in order to accept and cope with my
disabilities (heck why have only one - if one is good then more is
better!) I had to lighten up on myself.  Part of that is that I
can't change what has happened to me so my choices are to either
sit in it and wallow in it OR try to allow for the humor and be
open and willing to hear things from people that might make it
easier for me to accept.   Many a night I have sat and cried about
my inability to do many physical things and then when I get that
out of my system I look at what I can do.  One of the blessings
that is in my life  is the computer  - I have met more people and
made more friends in the past year then I have done all my life.
Neat, huh?  I can walk - sometimes I can't and sometimes I walk
with a  lot of pain and wish I had a three wheeler or a chair  (but
then my ego gets in the way) - that is one area I still feel I have
control over (ha ha - I can sure fool myself).  You are okay and
you are in the best echo for making friends, getting information
and having all the support you need and more.

Glad you are here.

Nadine

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.59!Nadine.Thomas
Internet: Nadine.Thomas@p59.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org

Paul.Heller@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Paul Heller) (10/03/90)

Index Number: 10825

How long does the battery in your 3-wheeled scooter last?  When you
venture forth on a bus trip, is battery life a consideration, or do you
have more than enough to stay out as long as you wish without having to
look for a plug somewhere?

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!109!421!Paul.Heller
Internet: Paul.Heller@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org

Bill.Koppelmann@f810.n104.z1.fidonet.org (Bill Koppelmann) (10/03/90)

Index Number: 10828

Andy, if you ask me, one of the best ways to cope with disability is
sitting right in front of you.  I'm glad to see you posting here, and
feel free to jump in at any time and post some more.
I'm a blind guy with some partial vision.  Even though I do have some
vision, I do feel that I need the speech hardware and software that
even totals use.  Actually this helps me feel more like abrother to my
brothers and sisters who just happen to be totally blind.
TTFN.
Bill K.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!104!810!Bill.Koppelmann
Internet: Bill.Koppelmann@f810.n104.z1.fidonet.org

Andy.Anderson@f120.n138.z1.fidonet.org (Andy Anderson) (10/09/90)

Index Number: 10968

BK> Andy, tell me a little more about yourself, if you wish.  As
BK> for me, I'm 47 and am working as a dish loader.  I used to
BK> be a dark room tech for a clinic, but began having attitude
BK> problems and decided that I needed to get away from that.
Well,I am 55,retired disabled veteran,Been maried for 32 yrs to the
same woman,have two children that are grown and married, and a total
of three grandkids, so far. As I said I am retired so I spend all my
time (damned near) on this computer,so much so that I had to get an
extra phone line just for it. Well more next time. Andy

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!138!120!Andy.Anderson
Internet: Andy.Anderson@f120.n138.z1.fidonet.org

Adrienne.Barhydt@p15.f41.n105.z1.fidonet.org (Adrienne Barhydt) (10/10/90)

Index Number: 10988

In a message of <Sep 30 11:00>, Paul Heller (1:109/421) writes:

 PH>How long does the battery in your 3-wheeled scooter last?  When you
 PH>venture forth on a bus trip, is battery life a consideration, or do you
 PH>have more than enough to stay out as long as you wish without having to
 PH>look for a plug somewhere?

I haven't ever covered great distances in my scooter.  When I am at
home I walk from room to room but even that much walking is getting
difficult.  I charge the batteries every two to three weeks and I
know that it's time to get new ones (about a year) when I need to
charge them close to every day and start worrying about them
running out on me.  Once I had someone walk me from work to my car
because I was afraid they'd give out before I got to the car (1 1/2
blocks!).  I bought new batteries that day.

Anyhow, with fresh fully charged batteries I don't worry about them
giving out on me.  My own energy level is so low that I wouldn't
spend more than about two hours at the mall on one day and that's
about all I would do all day.  The scooter could continue probably
all day without me! <smile>

Take it easy....but take it!

Adrienne

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!105!41.15!Adrienne.Barhydt
Internet: Adrienne.Barhydt@p15.f41.n105.z1.fidonet.org

drr01002@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Daniel Robert Rudny) (10/10/90)

Index Number: 11019

> PH>How long does the battery in your 3-wheeled scooter last?  When you
> PH>venture forth on a bus trip, is battery life a consideration, or do you
> PH>have more than enough to stay out as long as you wish without having to
> PH>look for a plug somewhere?

I have a Rascal and I'm very pleased with the dependability it has
given me.  I have put at east 500 miles on it (thats not a typo it
is 500) and I'm still using the original batteries.  I don't know
if the type of battery is something new but I believe that called
gell cell batteries.  One important thing about them is that they
are supposed to be charged overnight and leaving them uncharged for
long periods of time can be damaging.  They claim to be able to go
20 miles on a single charge but I haven't tested them in that
regard.  If anyone is interested and would like more info you can
send me e-mail and pass what I can along.

Dan
drr01002@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

disclaimer:  I in no way represent Electric Mobiity and am merely a satisfied
customer.

Walter.Hart@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org (Walter Hart) (12/21/90)

Index Number: 12577

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

Allen, it's obvious you've never attended one of Ed Roberts wheelchair
karete demo's.  Surprisingly he turned on a group of mostly disabled and
with Tony convinced a lot of us that a power wheelchair could be a pretty
good weapon.  I can identify with how you feel But, while I don't agree
with those saying accept it I do think you will benefit from Joe's
advise. I found that by working with ADAPT and later the Developmental
Disabilities Board and now the Dept. of Human Services once again I look
forward to each new day.  While I find the Independant Living Centers to
be much too conservative they and your local Vocational Rehab can be
helpful. Look around and find some volunteer work on behalf of the
disabled.  You are fortunate we thru the ADA will be able to make it much
easier on those who come after us. Work for disability RIGHTS NOW!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!130!10!Walter.Hart
Internet: Walter.Hart@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org