[misc.handicap] Outspoken information needed

Christophe.Delaunay@irisa.fr (Christophe Delaunay) (12/19/90)

Index Number: 12519

Hi netters!

Can any kind soul give me the address of Duxburry, the company that
makes a software called "outspoken" or may anyone give me their
experience with this software or other screen readers for Macintosh
computers?  Is outspoken designed for text screens only or does it allow
the totally blind person I am to draw small graphics like slides?

     Many many thanks in advance for any reply.

     Christophe Delaunay.

internet mail: delaunay@irisa.irisa.fr
uucp: ...!uunet!{mcsun,inria}!irisa!delaunay

covici@well.sf.ca.us (John Covici) (12/29/90)

Index Number: 12586

In article <16444@bunker.UUCP> Christophe.Delaunay@irisa.fr
(Christophe Delaunay) writes:
>Can any kind soul give me the address of Duxburry, the company that
>makes a software called "outspoken" or may anyone give me their
>experience with this software or other screen readers for Macintosh
>computers?  Is outspoken designed for text screens only or does it allow
>the totally blind person I am to draw small graphics like slides?

Well outspoken is made by Berkeley Systems In Berkeley, California
an I don't have their phone number handy, but you should
be able to look it up.  It will not do any kind of graphics, and
I found many bugs, as though it were not quite finished.  It works well with
the finder, but it may not work well with your particular application; you
should try it out as soon as you get it to make sure it will
work for you.  If you need more info send email to me and I will answer
any questions.  This kind of thing is a good idea, but it needs more work.

         John

         covici@ccs.portal.com