[misc.handicap] Epilepsy

Floria.Antin@f304.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Floria Antin) (10/03/90)

Index Number: 10791

Why not learn what to do and not do when one has a grandmal seizure. The
Epilepsy foundation has literature. There is nothing to be 'freaked outt
about.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!109!304!Floria.Antin
Internet: Floria.Antin@f304.n109.z1.fidonet.org

Robert.Katz@p2.f223.n151.z1.fidonet.org (Robert Katz) (10/03/90)

Index Number: 10809

In a message to Robert Katz <27 Sep 90  2:59:00> Floria Antin wrote:

 FA> Why not learn what to do and not do when one has a grandmal seizure. The
 FA> Epilepsy foundation has literature. There is nothing to be 'freaked outt
 FA> about.

Floria...I wasn't the one freaked out by the grandmal, I was refering to my
classmates at the time. Situations like that never bothered me, all I ever
wanted to do was help and I did when I could...Take care. Later

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!151!223.2!Robert.Katz
Internet: Robert.Katz@p2.f223.n151.z1.fidonet.org

Donna.Siren@p19.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Donna Siren) (12/07/90)

Index Number: 12400

 RB>      Has your doctor ever had you on more than one medication at a
 RB>  time?
 RB>  I am on Dilantin,Phenobarbital, and Tegretol.

I used to take both Dilantin and Phenobarbital and I now take just
Tegretol.  Originally, I took Dilantin and Phenobarbital, but she
had to take me off the Dilantin because of side effects.  I don't
remember why she took me off the Phenobarbital, it was so long
ago.  Anyway, after the Dilantin I took Depakene, but after a
while, it didn't seem to be doing any good, so she put me on
Tegretol.  There was one thing that kept me seizure free for a year
and it was something that I took for an entirely different reason,
but I don't want to get in to that here.  I will say this much: I
quit taking this medication because of things I heard that scared
me.  Maybe I'll tell you all about it in net mail.  I'm beginning
to think that something else could be causing the seizures, because
my last EEG looked better than they have in the past.
	       Donna

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!396!5.19!Donna.Siren
Internet: Donna.Siren@p19.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org

Chris.Brown@f113.n163.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Brown) (12/07/90)

Index Number: 12413

Just FYI.  One of our members was diagnosed as having epilepsy on the
basis EEGs.  Then one day she decided not to eat breakfast before going
for the EEG.  The EEG was normal.  (This was after several years of
taking drugs that are now knoon to reduce menatl abilities over time.)
She discovered she was sensitive to oone of the foods she regularly ate
for breakfast, and that it was affecting her EEG.
INteresting.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!163!113!Chris.Brown
Internet: Chris.Brown@f113.n163.z1.fidonet.org

Donna.Siren@p19.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Donna Siren) (12/13/90)

Index Number: 12456

 CB>  basis EEGs.  Then one day she decided not to eat breakfast before
 CB>  going for the EEG.  The EEG was normal.  (This was after several
 CB>  years of taking drugs that are now knoon to reduce menatl abilities
 CB>  over time.) She discovered she was sensitive to oone of the foods she
 CB>  regularly ate for breakfast, and that it was affecting her EEG.

That is interesting, but I don't think that it is my problem.
Years ago, I rarely ever ate breakfast, but I still had seizures.
There are things that can aggravate seizures, but I don't think
that my eating habbits are my problem.  I have a pretty good idea
what is causing a good many of them, but I don't want to go in to
it here.  I wish I could reduce the medication that I'm taking now,
because I think that it's what's causing my memory loss.  For
example, I never used to have to write down phone numbers, but
unless it's a number I dial all the time, there's no way I'll
remember it.  I can read a good book, but a month later, if you ask
me about it, I can't tell you very much about it, except that I
enjoyed it.  The strange thing is that I can remember phone numbers
ETC. that I knew years ago and haven't thought about since I was a
kid, but give me a phone number or address ETC. and if I don't
write it down, I'll forget it by the next day.  I'm pretty sure
that it's the medicine.
	       Donna

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!396!5.19!Donna.Siren
Internet: Donna.Siren@p19.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org

Chris.Brown@f113.n163.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Brown) (12/14/90)

Index Number: 12472

Just a note to reinforce the idea that I am not suggesting ALL epilepsy,
or ALL of the other symptoms associated with sensitivities are always, or
even usually, caused by sensitivities.  I also understand why you would
not want to discuss your medical situation in a public echo.
I'm sorry to hear of the side effects of your medication.  Many of our
members became ill from drug sensitivity, or sensitivity to binders and
other elements the medication is carried in, and I can sympathise with
those who have medical problems that require medicine and who therefore
have to deal with the usually lesser evil of the side effects.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!163!113!Chris.Brown
Internet: Chris.Brown@f113.n163.z1.fidonet.org

tak@ceres.physics.uiowa.edu (Tak Sakurai) (12/19/90)

Index Number: 12511

In article <16375@bunker.UUCP>, Donna.Siren@p19.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org
(Donna Siren) writes:

>           I wish I could reduce the medication that I'm taking now,
> because I think that it's what's causing my memory loss.  For
> example, I never used to have to write down phone numbers, but
> unless it's a number I dial all the time, there's no way I'll
> remember it.  I can read a good book, but a month later, if you ask
> me about it, I can't tell you very much about it, except that I
> enjoyed it.

This is exactly what's happening to me.  Even though I haven't had
a seizure for more than two years, I am still on medication.  Every
time I go back for a check up, the doctor tells me about the possibility
of reducing my medication, but he hadn't done so.  And recently I have
noticed my memory loss just like Donna.   I am not certain if I can
blame it on my medication, or I am not as sharp as used to be.
As a Ph.D. student, it is very frustrating and sometimes embarrassing
not being able to recall something, especially in a discussion with
professors.

> The strange thing is that I can remember phone numbers
> ETC. that I knew years ago and haven't thought about since I was a
> kid, but give me a phone number or address ETC. and if I don't
> write it down, I'll forget it by the next day.  I'm pretty sure
> that it's the medicine.

I have the same problem.  Are you sure the medicine is responsible?
Could anyone give us more information on anti-seizure medicine and
its effect on memory?

Tak Sakurai
tak@ceres.physics.uiowa.edu

cas@mtdcb.att.com (Cliff Stevens) (12/19/90)

Index Number: 12514

(Donna Siren) writes:
> Index Number: 12456
> I think that it's what's causing my memory loss.  For
> example, I never used to have to write down phone numbers, but
> unless it's a number I dial all the time, there's no way I'll
> remember it.  I can read a good book, but a month later, if you ask
> me about it, I can't tell you very much about it, except that I
> enjoyed it.  The strange thing is that I can remember phone numbers
> ETC. that I knew years ago and haven't thought about since I was a
> kid, but give me a phone number or address ETC. and if I don't
> write it down, I'll forget it by the next day.  I'm pretty sure
> that it's the medicine.

Donna,
I don't know, but the memory loss you describe is exactly what I
experienced after my Closed Head Injury (Cerebreal Contusion, R Occipital
Parietal region, 9 weeks in coma, 1.5 years on sick leave, 2.5 years
in wheelchair.)  But my memory
loss is different than yours, I've lost about 2.5 years premorbid also.
I've always assumed that the memory loss was due to the CHI; but I guess
your're saying it could be due to the meds also.

I was on Dilantin, but strictly as a prophylactic (I never had a seizure.).
And I was on it for 3 years.

But if you'd like some advice, here's what I've discovered:
It's good to forget movies, that way you can enjoy them 10 times!
*NEVER* try to do something at a more convenient time; you'll forget!
	Do it now while you remember!
Write everything down you'll need to remember; I carry a pen and
	small notebook in my breast pocket for such purposes.
I've also started a daily diary, and started using a calendar.  Every night
	look at your calendar for the next day, copy the entries for tommorrow
	onto a small piece of paper; that is your "To Do" list for the next day.
	You can also make other notes of things to do, like "Buy beer!".
Everytime somebody gives you a map, save it; you might have to go back someday.
Keep a list of things you're working on at work; my "Stack", it was neither
	LIFO nor FIFO, it was prioritized.
It also helps to keep a log of your work, that way at 5:00 when your boss
	asks what you did all day, you can show him.
Make a list of things you do every night or morning. Like:  "Plan Lunch",
	"Take Meds", "Do Exercises", and "Pick Wardrobe".
Calculators that print out everything you tell it are essential.  How else can
	you tell how many entries in a column you've entered?
If necessary, at night before you go home, send yourself email w the junk you
	have to do the next day; that way, it's the first thing you read in
	the morning.  If you're a real "Computer Jock"! :-)
I've started a personal phone book also, and a list of all my friends!
Make a list of things to remember and carry it w you.
Verbose check book entries are good, or "Why the h*ll did I send him $1000?"
Make a note describing each picture you take, like:  "19Feb85, guards
	in front of Buckingham Palace."
Also, w every roll of film you take; on the first picture take a picture of
	your photo notebook, w the date, film type, and location.  Ie:
	"18Feb85, TriX, London.".
It also helps to keep a daily diary of your vacation.
Become Obsessive Compulsive, you've got to realize, "If forgetting this is bad;
	then I will forget it!".

------------
A man's gotta know his own limitations!
	Cliff Stevens	MT1E228  att!cbnewsj!ncas  (908)671-7292

Robert.Bowes5th@p0.f4.n382.z1.fidonet.org (Robert Bowes5th) (01/08/91)

Index Number: 12674

Well, Donna we have the epilepsy echo up to a BBS in Dallas & I'm gonna
try to get it over that way so you can get it. But right now I'm putting
up a lot of information on epilepsy from four booklets I have with all
sorts of information (medications,questions,etc. ). Hope to keep in
touch with you & possibly we could learn from each other. Talk with
ya later.
            Robert

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!382!4.0!Robert.Bowes5th
Internet: Robert.Bowes5th@p0.f4.n382.z1.fidonet.org