[misc.handicap] Exit Row Seating

Jack.Barker@p0.f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Jack Barker) (01/11/91)

Index Number: 12861

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Steve,

On 03-Dec-90 you wrote the following to Donald Breda:

     > I may catch some heat for this one, but I
     > DO NOT WANT the responsibility of all of those other
     > passengers lives if the thing has to be evacuated.

     > I guess I'm just a wimp and just as soon have someone with
     > eyeballs looking after me.

     > OK, I've got my bullet proof vest on!

     It's unfortunate that a situation exists that would cause you to be
so defensive about expressing your opinion on this subject.  You are
entitled to have whatever opinions you choose.  Others are entitled to
disagree and try to persuade you otherwise in a civilized manner.

     Personaly, I agree with your position 100%.  I don't want ANYONE in
that exit row who even MIGHT impede my progress out.  This would also
include many people who fit the Federal criterior for sitting in an exit
row.  I am sure there are occasions when some Blinks are more competent
to sit there than anyone else on the aircraft, but a line has to be drawn
somewhere.

     You might be surprised to hear that Blinks are not the only ones
restricted from exit row seating.  I have a photocopy of the actual
placard which is placed on the backs of the seats just forward of the
exit row.  If you or anyone else is interested in the exact wording of
the F.A.A. required placard, let me know.

                               So long,
                               Jack

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89.0!Jack.Barker
Internet: Jack.Barker@p0.f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org