[misc.handicap] Persons who are deaf/hearing impaired

achozi@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Ann M. Chozinski) (01/17/91)

Index Number: 13003

[Note from Bill Mcgarry: To all you Silent Talk folks -- please
 realize that on the Usenet side, the postings from Silent
 Talk, Blink Talk, Abled, Spinal Injury, etc, etc all go into
 one newsgroup.]

As I read many of the posting in the newsgroup, I never see anything
related to deafness?  A friend once asked me if deaf people were
really skilled using computers since it depends on visual alot?

well...any takers out there?   Is there anyone reading this now
who is deaf?   Curious Annie

rudy@mtqua.att.com (Rudy Vener) (01/23/91)

Index Number: 13096

In article <16990@bunker.UUCP> achozi@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Ann M. Chozinski) writes:
>Index Number: 13003
>
>As I read many of the posting in the newsgroup, I never see anything
>related to deafness?  A friend once asked me if deaf people were
>really skilled using computers since it depends on visual alot?
>
>well...any takers out there?   Is there anyone reading this now
>who is deaf?   Curious Annie

There are some deaf members of this echo.  Every six months or so
the great "Convert a PC to TDD" question comes up.  I really don't know
why there are not as many deaf related postings as there are blind, chronic
pain, back injury, MS, etc etc.  Maybe deaf folks are the silent type :-)

Rudy Vener   AT&T BTL  uucp: ...!att!mtqua!rudy

janice@cs.fau.edu (Janice Nardandrea) (01/23/91)

Index Number: 13101

achozi@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Ann M. Chozinski) writes:

> Index Number: 13003
>
> As I read many of the posting in the newsgroup, I never see anything
> related to deafness?  A friend once asked me if deaf people were
> really skilled using computers since it depends on visual alot?
>
> well...any takers out there?   Is there anyone reading this now
> who is deaf?   Curious Annie

G'day Annie...  I'm a Computer Information Systems major, and I'm also
hearing impaired.  I'd like to see more 'deafies' posting in this alt.
handicap here.   I'm sure there is several (or more than I expected)
hearing impaired people (or students) have computer or programming skills
on this USENET conference.  How many hearing impaired are we having now ?
Tally now !