[misc.handicap] PACKET RADIO

Donald.Breda@f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org (Donald Breda) (01/08/91)

Index Number: 12665

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

  FH> In a message of <08 Dec 90  22:05:09>, Darrell Shandrow
 FH> (1:300/7) writes:

 DS>>Are these specialized packet programs speech friendly?
 DS>>73 nu7i @ kc7cg.az.usa.na

 FH> Not really sure, Darrell.  I will be testing a JAWS system in
 FH> the next week or two, I might try to coordinate that with
 FH> PC-Packratt and see what happens.  I have been curious to see
 FH> if anyone is doing packet radio with a speech system and what
 FH> the results are.

 FH> Fred Hatfield  K8VDU @ NN5F.LA.USA.NA      ...from the digital
 FH> cottage...

Hi Fred; I have used jaws 2 with telix, and also with "nos" n o s and net the
programs for tcp/ip on packet and it has worked fine.
It is quite a nice companion on packet since you can stick packet type macros in
the jaws program and have them execute very nicely.
Have fun from w a 2 i w c @ w a 1 p h y.
ip address 44.56.8.1`32.
Comp-u-serve 70225,1152.

... Abled, Blinktalk and silver in boston

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!101!460!Donald.Breda
Internet: Donald.Breda@f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org

Bill.Koppelmann@f810.n104.z1.fidonet.org (Bill Koppelmann) (01/11/91)

Index Number: 12890

Fred, I always wondered about you, but now you've let the cat out of
the bag, or is it the underwear that he's in.  At any rate, K8VDU ought
to be very easy for me to remember with those memorable acronyms.

You didn't mention anything about the code, and as it might be
interesting for those who may have been interested in ham radio but
have been stopped by the codeI'd be interested in knowing what your
thoughts are where the code and its use are concerned.

                        Bill.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!104!810!Bill.Koppelmann
Internet: Bill.Koppelmann@f810.n104.z1.fidonet.org

Gary.Presson@f6.n291.z1.fidonet.org (Gary Presson) (01/15/91)

Index Number: 12920

Gary.Presson@f6.n291.z1.fidonet.org (Gary Presson) (01/15/91)

Index Number: 12920

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Although I am not a ham, nor am I a blink for that matter, I do have
friends who are one or the other or both.

I thought I might share a call sign with you that one of my friends
has:  It is W A 0 K G B...the K G B needs no mnemonics with that one
for sure, However he does use Kansas Goonie Bird on occaision.

By the way, we are one of the few B B S systems around that is
supporting a land line B B S on one node and a Packet B B S on the
other.  Wichita B B S, and we obviously are a BLINK TALK station here
in the Air Capital of the world.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!291!6!Gary.Presson
Internet: Gary.Presson@f6.n291.z1.fidonet.org

Darrell.Shandrow@f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Darrell Shandrow) (01/23/91)

Index Number: 13119

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

I agree about the problem with callsigns and speech output and I think its
ashamed.  The developers of speech software really should include the
feature to spell out callsigns.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!7!Darrell.Shandrow
Internet: Darrell.Shandrow@f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Fred.Hatfield@p7.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Fred Hatfield) (01/23/91)

Index Number: 13152

In a message of <29 Dec 90 00:20:30>, David Tanner (1:100/514) writes:

 DT>        I would like any information you can give me about the new
 DT>        license requirements etc.

David, the new no-code license category will go into effect on
February 15, 1991 according to FCC press releases.  Apparently you
can take the test from two Volunteer Examiners at a cost, I think,
of between 5 or 6 dollars.  There are 55 questions taken from a
pool of some quantity (unknown by me at the moment).  The actual
questions and answers (multiple choice) have been published for
study purposes and are available from sources such as the American
Radio Relay League (A R R L) and others.

The new license will allow you to operate in the upper frequency
ranges above 30 Mhz only.  But that is where the activity with
packet radio, facsimile, amateur television, satellites, etc. are
taking place.

You can get more details on the Ham echo -- I am outlining some of
the features here in the hopes that it might generate some interest
among other participants.

Fred Hatfield  K8VDU @ NN5F.LA.USA.NA      ...from the digital cottage...

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!396!5.7!Fred.Hatfield
Internet: Fred.Hatfield@p7.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org

Bill.Koppelmann@f114.n104.z1.fidonet.org (Bill Koppelmann) (01/23/91)

Index Number: 13157

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Don, you may not know this, but the pk232 controller manual is now being
recorded by rfb.  I've already asked them to send me the tapes as they get
them produced.  Are you with rfb?
As concerns your question, though, I'd have to say that I really don't have
an answer for you.

                        Bill.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!104!114!Bill.Koppelmann
Internet: Bill.Koppelmann@f114.n104.z1.fidonet.org

Donald.Breda@f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org (Donald Breda) (01/23/91)

Index Number: 13179

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 BK> Don, you may not know this, but the pk232 controller manual is
 BK> now being recorded by rfb.  I've already asked them to send me
 BK> the tapes as they get them produced.  Are you with rfb?

Hi Bill; Just wanted to but in here and let you and everyone else know
that A E A also has the pk88 and pk232 manuals available upon request in
ascii form on disk. I have both manuals here.
they don't make a point of shouting about this since they are
copyrighted and they  don't want them spread all over the place.
So no I won't send them to anyone for two reasons, 1. it is ilegal.
2. If we distribute them among ourselves, then they will think there is
no need to do this, and they will stop.
So call A E A and ask for the manuals in ascii form, they have  them.
Best 73.

... Abled, Blinktalk and sSilver xpress in Boston 9600 HST

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!101!460!Donald.Breda
Internet: Donald.Breda@f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org

Donald.Breda@f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org (Donald Breda) (01/23/91)

Index Number: 13180

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 DS> I agree about the problem with callsigns and speech output and
 DS> I think its ashamed.  The developers of speech software really
 DS> should include the feature to spell out callsigns.

The sounding board speech synth from GW Micro has a feature you can set
to have it read ham calls correctly, its great. It works perfectly with
vocal eyes and almost perfectly with other speech programs.

... Abled, Blinktalk and sSilver xpress in Boston 9600 HST

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!101!460!Donald.Breda
Internet: Donald.Breda@f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org

Stew.Bowden@f6.n377.z1.fidonet.org (Stew Bowden) (01/23/91)

Index Number: 13185

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Hi Darrell: good to hear from you again. Yes, speech in packet radio
is a pain but if you alert people with whom you correspond to space
between letters, it works out. However, it's almost impossible to
determine calls of others as they come across the screen. Maybe one
day, somebody will solve that problem for us. Sure hope so.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!377!6!Stew.Bowden
Internet: Stew.Bowden@f6.n377.z1.fidonet.org

Walter.Siren@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Walter Siren) (01/23/91)

Index Number: 13193

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 DS> There is an acronym option in Jaws but I don't think the manual says its
 DS> for anything like callsigns its for letter combinations.

What is call signs, but letter combinations, and a number in it.
Since people usually capitalize their call signs, I think, it will
work.  I already tried it.  I don't like to keep acronyms turned
on, because it reads to many things like a acronym, such as the
name of a directory since it is capitalized.  However, you can make
a macro to turn it on when you need it, and turn it back off when
you finished.  Now for people who think that macros are not
necessary, there is one example where they will come in handy.
That's why I wish vocal eyes could use macros to do such things
that are not as easy to do with one key stroke.  I guess if I were
going to change to vocal eyes, I would have to learn a macro system
that would work with it.

               Walter

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!396!5.18!Walter.Siren
Internet: Walter.Siren@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org