[misc.handicap] Again, just some thoughts!

janice@cs.fau.edu (Janice Nardandrea) (01/23/91)

Index Number: 13091

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) writes:

> Index Number: 13026
>
> While you may feel signing is better than oral communication, it
> is not for everyone.  I don't mean to cut down signing but I do feel
> that speechreading and oral communication is possible for ALL.
>
> I would love to see all hearing impaired come out of isolation
> and we all mingle as a whole using total communication...this
> separating into different groups is for the birds!
>
> I know I'm biased in my opinion but I've seen too many deaf individuals
> miss out on so much due to the fact they only use signing as their
> mode of communication.  I guess I just don't believe in the easy
> way out.  Don't get me wrong because signing does have its place
> but only in certain circumstances.

I, for one, concur with you, Ann, about the total communication.  I'm
a strong believer in oral communication, and I'm hearing impaired. The
major thing is if the deaf person who has the ability to talk well from
speech therapists, parents, and other resources (communication disorders
departments in various colleges), then she/he can improve as time goes by.
I started this therapy when I was 3 (preschool age) throughout high
school.  Unforunately I stopped taking it because of the time being spent
on my college studies, part time job, and a couple of extracuricular
activites for about four years or so.  Moreover, I returned to the differ-
ent speech clinic at the college for a semester.  Upon my Associate of
Arts degree, I transferred to other college for my BBA.  I didn't continue
taking speech therapy (for about two years and half due to the same
activity I had before--part time job and study) until now that I am back
to school full time along another extracuricular activity on my schedule.
I have to make several oral presentations for my classes so my new
speech therapist will provide me speech corrections when necessary.

Hope it helps.  Nuff said !  :-) :-)

Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Croft) (01/26/91)

Index Number: 13205

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

In a few hours I am going to a meeting of about a dozen people.  There
is NO WAY that you or I could lipread the fast conversation going around
the table.

I'll have a sign language interpreter there so that I can fully
participate--not just listen and guess, but *participate.*

A study some years ago by the Lexington School for the Deaf in NYC found
that lipreading is about 25% effective.  That's one word out of four!

Thje study also found that hearing people are better lip-readers than
deaf people. Ergo, the schools are teaching lip-reading to the wrong
people!

I am not against lip-reading and speech.  I use it every day.  But I
know its limitations.

When I was in my early twenties I thought as you do.  Now that I am
along in years, I look back and see what I missed.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!109!147.0!Jay.Croft
Internet: Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (01/26/91)

Index Number: 13222

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (01/26/91)

Index Number: 13222

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 > In a few hours I am going to a meeting of about a dozen
 > people.  There is NO WAY that you or I could lipread the
 > fast conversation going around the table.

Jay, we may have to agree to disagree on this.  Normally I don't
have problems lipreading in small meetings but I do use an oral
interpreter in large meetings or when I feel I need one.  I serve
on several organizations as a board of director or officer and so
far, there has not been any communication problems for me.

I've been oral for over 40 years (gee, guess that tells you how old
I am - *grin*) and I know that lipreading and speech skills are possible
for ALL.  While there may need to be signing skills along with this,
it is still possible.  I guess the reason I object so much to ASL
is that I feel exact English should be used.  I'm referring from
past experiences with other HI individuals - mainly seeing how much
they've missed out on and the fact they can't comprehend what they
read.  Now...don't take me wrong here as I'm not referring to ALL
in this situation, mainly putting the blame on the Oklahoma education
system, especially the Deaf Education classes.  I don't believe in
specialized classes, I feel all should be mainstreamed.  It would
be nice to have classes (perhaps 1 hour classes a day) for HI students
to have speech therapy, etc.  It is being done in several states
and is very successful.

 > I'll have a sign language interpreter there so that I
 > can fully participate--not just listen and guess, but
 > *participate.*

An oral interpreter works just as well, if not better (IMHO).  I
don't try to guess what someone says - if I don't understand, I ask!
That is a bad mistake so many make but I think it's due to the fact
that so many are too timid to ask.  Very understandable.  Anyway,
when there are meetings and social events, I think all modes of
communication should be available.

I still feel new methods of communication should be implemented for
the future.

One of my good friends attended a seminar several years ago about
hearing impairment and speechreading.  She spoke up when an official
made the comparison between signing and lipreading by stating it
was not exactly true because there are some of us who actually lipread
very well.  Lipreading skills can be taught.  Look at what AGB is
doing for the senior citizens.  There is a very interesting article
in Modern Maturity written by former Illinois senator Charles Percy
regarding this.  He has learned to lip read and tells how great it
is.  I guess it's different strokes for different folks but nothing
is impossible, Jay.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Croft) (01/26/91)

Index Number: 13234

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Try lip-reading "8," "9" and "10."  Then try negotiating for a car
purchase using lip-reading alone.

By the way, that meeting I was to attend--I developed a fever of 102.4,
so never did get there!  I'm OK now.